Aggression is out of control in my tank...

+3
Aquarium Co-Op
protocl
Billiethekid
7 posters

Go down

Aggression is out of control in my tank... Empty Aggression is out of control in my tank...

Post  Billiethekid 2010-11-15, 22:51

So I have a 29gallon African Cichlid tank that will so be upgraded to a larger tank... but as it stands now my 5 Jewels are peaceful even to each other... But as of late I have had a little issue with a 2.5 inch Kenyi who has recently fully turned Yellow... he is challenging my 4.5 inch Livingstonii and shredding anybody who is new... i tried isolating him in a breeder net and adding new fish and then releasing him 2 days later.. overnight Death... then new guy in the net and him free.. same reaction... he is also Taking on my 4.5inch Greshekai(sp) and my Unknown Blue Guy who had bars and looked like a kenyi but less vibrant when he was young and has since lost his stripes mostly but has a attitude to the Gresh... but the Little Kenyi has decided tht even the largest Jewels are his Bit**es... any ideas on how to remove this aggression?? (I also have Rearranged the tank and tried making more hiding space less hiding spaces more open areas less open.. no change) I'm not wanting to lose anymore of the fish i have cause A) cant put new ones in and B) i like the fish i have.. all except 2 i have had since they were 2inches or less..
Billiethekid
Billiethekid
FishBox Member

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/andrew.arcand

Back to top Go down

Aggression is out of control in my tank... Empty Re: Aggression is out of control in my tank...

Post  protocl 2010-11-15, 23:01

Have you heard of the - aggression destabilizer?
Try rearranging the items in the tank.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Aggression is out of control in my tank... Empty Re: Aggression is out of control in my tank...

Post  Billiethekid 2010-11-15, 23:07

i have.. a couple times a week and then not for a week and then rearrange again and no change in attitude.. he does it while im watching the tank too...
Billiethekid
Billiethekid
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2010-11-15, 23:17

In my opinion. You should only have two different species in a 29g if you want the tank to work long term. Also you're mixing different pH fish. The Jewel Cichlids would like a lower ph. The Kenyi and livingstoni would appreciate a higher pH.

You're better off sticking to more peaceful species or mbuna if that's your intent. Yellow labs, Saulosi etc.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2010-11-16, 00:31

Billie... the kenyi can be killing machines. Of course it's fish by fish, they think of kenyi much the way you might think of auratus - very prone to not only bullying, but aggressive violence. My solution was to get rid of the kenyi and go with another mbuna that had similar coloring instead.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  endangered cichlids 2010-11-16, 00:38

pull him and put him in some mellafixed water , also ill trade you ur livingstoni for 5 mbunas of ur choice out of my mbuna tank .. theres 5 species in there , from 5 inchers to 2 inchers and at least 50 of em ... lol ... also over crowding is a agression cure ... lol ... i have lots of mbunas for sell ... yellow , purple , white , striped ..
endangered cichlids
endangered cichlids

http://www.camelotpainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-11-16, 01:52

I agree with larry on this one... pull him, get another mbuna..... and what are you keep your ph to keep both fish happy? in my exp. if the PH is lower than 8.0, you wont get the great color of the rift lake cichlids... but, raising your PH might get the jewels sick, the like a nice 7.0
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Billiethekid 2010-11-16, 02:00

i keep it at about 7.8 usually... just cause its easiest... my jewels are all colorful and my mbunas are colorful too.. and seem happy cept the lil male kenyi a$$clown.. the lil tinier kenyi which is still blue and half his size is peaceful... no issues..
Billiethekid
Billiethekid
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-11-16, 02:02

well you keeping the PH right inbetween both places the fish like... thats probably why your fish are still keepin good color.... might have a problem gettin them to breed for you if thats your end goal.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-11-16, 02:17

Aggression destabilizer.

1) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  alexmuw 2010-11-16, 02:22

Remove all decor. I've had good success curbing African aggression this way.

alexmuw

Back to top Go down

Post  Billiethekid 2010-11-16, 02:45

ill try removing the decor but they fight in the open..
Billiethekid
Billiethekid
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2010-11-16, 02:47

Obviously not a territorial issue.

protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down