Pseudotropheus Saulosi

3 posters

Go down

Pseudotropheus Saulosi Empty Pseudotropheus Saulosi

Post  Guest 2010-07-18, 12:04

Got 10 of these little guys yesterday from Kevin at A Place For Pets. These are F1 from WC parents. Great deal on them too. Anyway, I was looking for practical advice from people who keep them. I know all the basics about them, kept a few in the past, but never a tank dedicated to them.

Pretty much, looking to see how they do in a colony. I want to keep a majority of females and 1 or 2 males. How is the aggression in these guys when you eliminate the males? Right now, they are about 3/4" max, the smallest is half that size..lol.

Back to top Go down

Pseudotropheus Saulosi Empty Re: Pseudotropheus Saulosi

Post  Betty 2010-07-18, 23:48

I kept mine in a 38 gallon species tank for a couple of years. I started out with only five and two of those were males, which was a mistake because the dominant male relentlessly chased the subdominant until he killed him, in spite of all the rocks and caves I had set up. I think in smaller numbers, only one male would be best or three or more males for larger groups. A ratio of at least three females to a male would make life easier for the females. After my dominant killed the subdom, he spawned with the females and I grew the fry up to make a larger colony. It's been my experience that the spawns are heavy on the male side.

I've had several males color up and there are enough of them that the aggression is spread around so none have been harassed too much or killed. I did have to move them up to a 60 gallon tank to give them more room for all of that chasing.

My saulosi are the only mbuna that have bitten me hard enough to draw a little bit of blood. I got so tired of it that I started wearing gloves for water changes in their tank.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I got mine a few years ago from A Place for Pets as well.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-07-22, 12:44

Ok, so my little piggaahs are doing great. They do the typical African thing and follow me as I walk around the tank. They are so damned cute. The two tiniest guys are now finally able to swim through the filter current and get to the top water. My plants are doing amazing. My Vals are doing great and my red swords are growing like mad, with 4 or 5 new leaves on each since I got them, and the new leaves are blood red.

I went to A Place For Pets and Kevin mentioned he was on the site and saw the video I made of the fish.

I am currently feeding them Hikari First Bites and well ground Omega One Cichlid Flakes. They really like to eat. I asked Kevin about it and he said they will eat a lot at this age and that it is good for them (the First Bites). My question is, how often should I feed these little piggaas? They are ALWAYS hungry. I feed them plenty and they just keep eating. I know Africans will always act hungry and swim to the top when the hood is opened, but these guys are RAVENOUS!! I don't want to over feed but I do want them to eat as much as they need to grow. When I come home from work, they practically jump out of the tank to get to the food when I open the lid. I swear I hear them chanting, 'Feed me, feed me, feed me, feed me" every time I walk past the tank.

So, is this normal for Saulosi? My Mpimbwe, when they were this small, were voracious eaters as well, but not to the point that they were chomping at the glass to get food.lol

Back to top Go down

Post  censeoflife 2010-07-22, 14:08

My guys eat like that too. : ) Get some Romain and clip a leaf in their tank. They will eat it all up in a couple of days and still want you to drop them some flakes.
censeoflife
censeoflife
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-07-22, 14:44

Like a full Romaine leaf?

Back to top Go down

Post  censeoflife 2010-07-22, 15:08

yep, sure enough. I put in two leafs every week on Saturday and they have been nothing but rib pieces by Tuesday. They eat all the green. I pick out whats left after that.

They also really like the algae wafers. More so than the flake.....
censeoflife
censeoflife
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2010-07-22, 19:51

It's normal for them to act hungry all the time and it doesn't change when they are older either! Yours look as cute as they can be. Very Happy

The lettuce is a good idea to give them something to graze on between meals. I give mine romain or leaf lettuce.

(PS - Love older Stones!)
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Addictedtofish 2010-07-22, 20:41

Ive tried romaine lettuce and even sprouts(which resemble water sprite) with very little of it being ate in a days period. I feed all my fish floating pellets combo of hikari gold and excel mixed up in a bowl.
Addictedtofish
Addictedtofish
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-07-22, 22:32

Just uploaded it, so the vid is still processing. Quality should be much better after an hour or so.

Little guys are growing fast!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down