dont you just hate having to tear down a tank.

+4
master chi
cichlid-gal
fishNAbowl
Anthraxx
8 posters

Go down

dont you just hate having to tear down a tank. Empty dont you just hate having to tear down a tank.

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-05, 18:15

just figured id rant a bit on here. tearing down decor to catch africans is a NIGHTMARE im starting to realize why u guys all keep big fish.. they're easier to catch! this has been an hour long process already and now another 2 hours to put it all back. well thats it, im sure the other african keepers will jump in on this one Smile
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

dont you just hate having to tear down a tank. Empty Re: dont you just hate having to tear down a tank.

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-07-05, 18:28

I try not to put anything in my 140 thats not going to be in there indefinitely. Catching small fish in there is near impossible without pulling plants and removing woods.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

dont you just hate having to tear down a tank. Empty Re: dont you just hate having to tear down a tank.

Post  Guest 2014-07-05, 18:46

Same here. I hated it too. That's I went American cichlids. If any cichlids lay eggs on a rock or wood, that I can see. Pull it out with parents and put in another tank.
Also anything is put in the 36gal bowfront walstad planted. Is not coming out unless it's sick or dying.

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-07-05, 20:28

Anthraxx wrote:just figured id rant a bit on here. tearing down decor to catch africans is a NIGHTMARE im starting to realize why u guys all keep big fish.. they're easier to catch! this has been an hour long process already and now another 2 hours to put it all back. well thats it, im sure the other african keepers will jump in on this one Smile

That is why most african breeders use breeder tanks. It's easier to keep them lightly decorated and to catch fish in than the big 125G tanks. I've been in your shoes a number of times. It is a pain for sure. I do a 50% water change, the divide the tank with an acrylic divider (trying to shush the fish I want to catch to one of the sides), remove the decor, catch fish and then put it all back. Good way to do a deep cleaning but still, a lot of work.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2014-07-05, 23:02

I've literally been there. At your place while this has happened. I always feel bad because it's being broke down to catch a fish for me.Also I have the same feeling at times for my own tanks.Those malawi's are really fast.I know you have all the pro tips down for catching,but still it's not exactly a blast.. Feelin' for ya buddy,I hope all goes well..
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-05, 23:05

oh ya Chi i sure have learned from it. i now take my time and dismantle a tank prior to anybody getting here. takes way too long any other way. i never minded it, it just gets tedious ya know? especially when your only selling one of something or something like that.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  master chi 2014-07-05, 23:19

With a 125,you could do an all male Hap/Peacock setup. The benefit there? You could stock larger malawi's,and probably also reduce the amount of times fish need to be caught because there are no holding females to worry about.But then there's no breeding behaviors,which we all enjoy so much as keepers.Isn't it ironic how the very thing which makes cichlid keeping a challenge,is also the very thing we seek to enjoy the most?What a rub!! LOL. Probably the larger malawi haps would still be very fast,and might still not be worth it huh?
master chi
master chi
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-06, 01:47

I have 2 angels which are in the cichlid family who are crazy fast and too smart for their own dang good. They have learner to swim tight to the bottom of the tank so I can't get them with the net. I have been frequently around 2 African tanks that I've helped so this same process a few times. Not fun, but pretty much the only way to catch the fast buggers!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2014-07-06, 02:27

Anthraxx wrote:i now take my time and dismantle a tank prior to anybody getting here. takes way too long any other way.

I would make the 'anybody' help me take all the stuff out of the tank; cooperation always makes things go faster. I can picture one person standing on a step stool grabbing decor and handing it to the other, who takes it and places it in a bucket/on a waterproof something. Then you can have the person help you put everything back too, the reverse way! Much less work for you and not a back-breaker for the person helping, either

I don't have big tanks, but even trying to get everything out of my 20 to catch things (stupid adopted blue danio was the last quick/smart one) is a hassle, so I can only imagine a tank with 6 times more volume and a much larger footprint. Must be a big job, but like I said, you can at least ask for help and I'm sure most would be more than happy to. I can definitely understand your gripe, though-- its a valid thing to vent about especially if you have to do it often
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  bassetman 2014-07-06, 09:03

I feel your pain? I had to remove every scrap of deco from a 4x8 500 gallon to catch one fish. Even big fish are hard to catch when you have to reach through a small opening and they have the whole tank. Cursing
bassetman
bassetman
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-07-06, 11:22

If it's possible draining the tank helps. Even taking the water level down 50% can make catching fish easier. I've dropped water level do to the last 10% as a last straw attempt to catch rogue fish, LOL.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-07-06, 12:20

Hey, I have big cichlids and I still hate to tear down my tanks to catch fish. I always feel like I never aquascape it as nice after the teardown
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2014-07-06, 12:21

Dmd has an extra hose he attaches to his canister and the canister drains down his 210 in a matter of minutes! I'd love to do something like with my two big tanks
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-07-06, 21:51

yeah ive seen Dmd's setup. its truly unique thats for sure. i actually got his old equipment when he upgraded to what hes got now Smile. (screaming deal btw) its funny that you say its the new aquascape that bugs you. im always finding a new way to place a rock and falling in love all over again. gonna stink when i switch over to tangs (they dont take kindly to change Razz)
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down