MRTom
Lamental Jester
pbmax
PokeSephiroth
fishyladdy
MorganEA
11 posters

Go down

I hate plastic plants... Empty I hate plastic plants...

Post  MorganEA 2013-11-01, 18:56

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
But you cant really boil a live java fern after a fish has been quarantined lol!
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

I hate plastic plants... Empty Re: I hate plastic plants...

Post  fishyladdy 2013-11-01, 18:57

i want the pink one on the left...
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-01, 19:12

plastic plants are EVILLLLLLL............ some silk ones look nice, but you definitely can't beat live plants. omg. berid yourself of those plastic plants! =P If you lived closer, I'd totally give you a bunch of plant clippings ^_^
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-11-01, 19:25

Floating plants are perfect for quarantine - just toss and refill as needed. Very Happy
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-11-01, 19:30

Plastic plants are the tools of the devil!
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2013-11-01, 20:07

Sometimes, when I'm feeling down, I sneak a plastic plant along with my cat supplies at various pet stores... I give them to my cats to shred and destroy. It gives me great pleasure watching my cats toss those elodea looking orange stems around like a bright fluffy orange bird. Sometimes I dip the plants in cat food and catnip for increased destructive pleasure. Silk plants don't last long either... with much shredding and snarling the silk becomes a tattered rag. It gives me great satisfaction knowing these unholy plants are taking the anger of my cats away from my furniture and draperies!

I don't hate plastic plants... I simply have discovered their proper place in life! Twisted Evil 

PS. I highly recommend duckweed for your hospital tanks Very Happy That's another plant that should meet an untimely death! It might as well find some use and purpose in its short life!
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2013-11-01, 21:20

I have always hated plastic plants but I have found if I glue them to rock in cichld tanks they give hidey holes to smaller fish and gives the tank some texture. Fish ignore it. Have to be picky. If it isn't green, I want nothing to do with it.

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-11-01, 22:13

PokeSephiroth wrote:plastic plants are EVILLLLLLL............ some silk ones look nice, but you definitely can't beat live plants. omg. berid yourself of those plastic plants! =P If you lived closer, I'd totally give you a bunch of plant clippings ^_^
I have enough plants to fill a couple tanks, but this is a quarantine tank so I wanted something I could scrub! the bright colors are fun and it gives the fish a place to hide Very Happy 
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-01, 23:02

I have enough plants to fill a couple tanks, but this is a quarantine tank so I wanted something I could scrub! the bright colors are fun and it gives the fish a place to hide Very Happy 
I agree good idea!

The only issue I've had with plastic plants is cost and the fact they get algae funk on them over time... Sometimes with some fishreal plants are not applicable so plastic is the only way to get green in ones tank...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-11-01, 23:06

I got these in a free 55 gal that I got from a friend, so no money was wasted lol!!
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-11-01, 23:08

fishyladdy I haven't used the two large yellow ones in the middle, would you like them?
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2013-11-01, 23:25

fishNAbowl wrote:
I agree good idea!

The only issue I've had with plastic plants is cost and the fact they get algae funk on them over time... Sometimes with some fishreal plants are not applicable so plastic is the only way to get green in ones tank...
Good point, hadn't thought about that much.
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-11-02, 01:17

... Sometimes with some fishreal plants are not applicable so plastic is the only way to get green in ones tank...
This is true for my fish.  They eat or uproot every live plant. I have to suction cup fake plants to the glass or attach them to rocks if I want any because they also dig them up and they end up floating.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-11-02, 01:58

heheh >> I mostly have plastic plants cause they can't die. And also you can't have a neon tank without them! Some neon purple rock some bright yellow purple red purple plants and some orange and purple granite Razz no fish yet lol course as I understand it most plants hate gravel substraights anyways.
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-11-02, 01:59

trying to catch a fish in a planted tank is so hard! It took me all day but I finally caught Mr. Fungus and he is now in the quarantine tank.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-11-02, 03:08

MorganEA wrote:
Trying to catch a fish in a planted tank is so hard! It took me all day but I finally caught Mr. Fungus and he is now in the quarantine tank.
So true. I once had to pull out every plants in the walstad or dirted tank. Had siphon out the debris and replant every plant back to catch a fish. Now once I put a fish in the walstad tank never getting out unless I get lucky with net but never pulling out plants again.

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-11-02, 08:43

Plastic plants have their place.  I use them when setting up a new tank...they give me time to evaluate the occupants as well as give the new occupants places to hide.  As my tanks get more established I try to change them over to either silk or silk and real or real plants alone tanks.  

As for quarantine/hospital tanks...I treat "quarantine" tanks just like regular tanks....lights, substrate, decorations, etc.  I want the fish to feel at home and to have a chance to acclimate and or recover with as little stress as possible. Plastic plants, rocks, hides, and floating plants are great ways to do this.  After use, everything should be sterilized (I just dispose of the substrate) before the next group arrives or another patient visits.

As for those flaming colors like hot pink, bright yellow, vivid blue...does anyone know if fish see in color?  And do you think the fish would feel at ease if they could see those colors?  Just wondering... Laughing 

OH...and my favorite plastic plants are my big fake bamboo plants...I love them and so do the fish.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2013-11-02, 12:34

I gotta admit, those fake plastic bamboos tricked me into thinking they were real more than once. The way they move in the water is great.
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-02, 12:43

SiRWesDragon wrote:
MorganEA wrote:
Trying to catch a fish in a planted tank is so hard! It took me all day but I finally caught Mr. Fungus and he is now in the quarantine tank.
So true. I once had to pull out every plants in the walstad or dirted tank. Had siphon out the debris and replant every plant back to catch a fish. Now once I put a fish in the walstad tank never getting out unless I get lucky with net but never pulling out plants again.
Ugh, I also have a large fully planted tank (140g). I try not to put any fish in there that I am not absolutely sure I want to keep in there for good...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hyp3rcrav3 2013-11-02, 16:11

I have little problem with gravel substrates, especially once a tank is established. I have found it better to add carbon and potash in solution for many plants I once had problems growing. (I only add nitrogen if there are no fish in a tank.)

hyp3rcrav3

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-11-02, 18:31

fishNAbowl wrote:
SiRWesDragon wrote:
MorganEA wrote:
Ugh, I also have a large fully planted tank (140g). I try not to put any fish in there that I am not absolutely sure I want to keep in there for good...
Im sure the ram wanted to stay in his planted tank as well but I didn't want him to infect others Razz 
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-11-02, 21:00

hyp3rcrav3 wrote:I have little problem with gravel substrates, especially once a tank is established. I have found it better to add carbon and potash in solution for many plants I once had problems growing. (I only add nitrogen if there are no fish in a tank.)
the one time I tried this (when I was new to propper tanks) I managed to slowly melt a big leafed plant into minuscule and then oblivion >> oops lol
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-11-02, 21:06

MorganEA wrote:
fishNAbowl wrote:
SiRWesDragon wrote:
MorganEA wrote:
Im sure the ram wanted to stay in his planted tank as well but I didn't want him to infect others Razz 
Catching fish in my 140 is so bad I dont even try anymore. The last attempt was catching school of tetras. I got like 8 of the 10. So far those last two have disappeared. If something dies I am lucky if it does so somewhere where I notice. Most of the time its like "well I havent seen that fish in a long time, it must be dead", lol. Nature truely takes it's caurse it's in the 140 .
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-11-02, 21:33

That would suck!! I would love a 140 gallon planted tank I could have so many plants!!
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down