+3
fishNAbowl
discus_2013
swamp-rat
7 posters

Go down

Need to share my discus Empty Need to share my discus

Post  swamp-rat 2014-04-03, 21:55

All these discus came from Kenny Cheung and were procured from members here. I'm awaiting my new additions coming this month!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Blue Ghost
Red Turquoise
White Butterfly

I'm having a gold diamond, red eagle, and blue-faced brown sent this month!

Also, loving these guys:
Laetacara araguaiae
swamp-rat
swamp-rat
FishBox Regular

http://www.etsy.com/shop/FuzzbunYarn?ref=pr_shop

Back to top Go down

Need to share my discus Empty Re: Need to share my discus

Post  Guest 2014-04-03, 22:00

Beautiful.  If they weren't soooooo expensive id do a discus tank. Beautiful discus.

Back to top Go down

Post  discus_2013 2014-04-03, 22:08

What happened with the leopard and pigeon?
discus_2013
discus_2013
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-04-03, 22:26

Spot On - my fav, member pictures. We can talk all day but nothing beats pictures.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  star_rider 2014-04-04, 17:13

Discus , Usually are not as pricey as juveniles but will require a lot of  care.

I raise them (some kenny's)  picked up at 2" usually $20 or so.. how you  raise them after you get them will also  help them attain the  shape and fullness.. some of it is simply genetics..but if you get them from Kenny..they are usually good quality to start with. I find there is a mix of them some turn out to be simply stunning.. the others are usually better than anything I have found in stores... but it is very time consuming to feed them 4+X daily with 50% water changes in the evening.

star_rider
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-04-04, 17:23

Very nice pics, thanks for sharing!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Livebearer 2014-04-23, 02:22

Swamp_rat,
I had no idea you raised these fancy fish, But the Laetacara very nice. Show her off and Post "her" (looks like a hen) separately in the American cichlid forum! , glad you like them I do too.
Livebearer
Livebearer

Back to top Go down

Post  swamp-rat 2014-05-24, 04:14

picked up my 'new' guys from Zach today. I've decided to name everyone characters from Avatar: the Last Airbender. Because I'm a nerd.

Yellow Diamond (Monk Gyatso)

Blue-Faced Brown (Haru)...many people find brown discus boring/ugly, but I think they're gorgeous.

Red Eagle (Prince Zuko)

The white butterfly is now Princess Yue, the blue ghost is Master Pakku, and the red turquoise is General Iroh.
swamp-rat
swamp-rat
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-05-24, 07:34

Great pics Kat and beautiful fish. I love the stunning colors that the discus bring to a tank and the look of them swimming. Too much work for this lazy fishkeeper but obviously you are doing a great job with yours. Congrats on your new acquisitions also.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-05-24, 10:44

All are very nice but that last one is amazing. Thanks for sharing swamp-rat!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  swamp-rat 2014-05-24, 15:55

You know they're not as much work as some people would lead you to believe. It's a matter of opinion and unfortunately a contentious one. I, however, tend to be on the lazy side and therefore minimalist. I started out doing weekly or EOD water changes but right now I am down to 2-3 weeks. I don't keep the pH as low as some people - my tap is straight 7.0 and I add discus buffer to bring it to 6.8 or as low as 6.4 when I'm running CO2. I don't feed 5 times a day and I don't feed a lot of live foods simply because my cultures haven't taken off yet. I also add a bit of salt, not very much, about 3 tbsp in the whole 90 gallons but that's mostly for the other fish. And yes, I have a menagerie of fish in there, from the discus to natives. I don't do RO and my GH is near 75, though the discus buffer is supposed to leach some of that out I likely replace it with my plant ferts. I have 2 extra powerheads in there for the schooling fish when discus like backwater eddys, and I have strong light when they like it dim. But they're spawning in there, so it goes to show you don't have to follow everyone's "rules" about everything.
I will say I am a bit surprised about everyone's reaction to some of the prices listed for discus on here. If you've ever gone shopping for discus in your LFS you will find 2" poor specimens going for over $85, whereas some local enthusiasts are buying lots, raising them larger, pairing off, and letting you at the leftovers for that price for a sincerely better quality and larger discus. I think knowing what the current stock is like in the hobby is an important starting point. After my first lot of discus, the ones I started with 8 years ago, came with chronic illness I've been very wary of where I purchase my stock from. I agree each fish is an investment at their cost...but they are also like members of my family, and to lose one is emotionally devastating. I did my research this time and chose the counsel of fellow enthusiasts as well as investigating breeders when I made the choice to go with Kenny's stock, which was first suggested to me by the person I bought my UV sterilizer from. They are bred by Forrest Teo in Malaysia and imported by Kenny Cheung in California. They are quarantined extensively prior to sale and photos of the fish are available both before export and after arrival. Kenny is very willing to work with anyone to get you what you want, answering hundreds of emails and phone calls a day, making sure you are satisfied. I've also found Zach to be an invaluable resource in this pursuit (after getting the firsthand tour of the fish room yesterday!) - as a breeder, he follows all the 'rules', but he also doesn't judge if you keep your fish another way and has answers for basically any question. Unfortunately there are extremists in any hobby, which I first encountered when I had a rattery; but finding those people that can be mentors and share the love of the hobby is priceless.
SimplyDiscus forums is a good place for information, though you will still need to weed through the insults from the extremists.
swamp-rat
swamp-rat
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  star_rider 2014-06-02, 13:20

Swamp-Rat nice Discus.

what size where yours when they arrived?

I think that's where one point of contention could be. I got mine from Kenny(VR's) they were nearly 2" meaning juveniles..which would require daily water changes and heavy feeding. of course with heavy feeding you need to clean the tank daily to remove uneaten food..
but Adults (3") don't require as much attention.

on my Adult tank it gets 50% weekly..mostly due to heavy stocking.

I've also raised Alenquer that were barely 1 1/2" which required constant monitoring...

I've done the dime with dime sized Altum...

that said ..you make a pretty good point.. discus are not really all that difficult. as long as we keep in mind where we are starting with them.(juveniles vs adult)

star_rider
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  swamp-rat 2014-06-02, 14:46

These are mostly full-grown, except the yellow diamond. But I've gotten 2.5" ones in the past that I fed daily and they did fine. I wasn't trying to grow them out, so they stayed smaller for a while, especially since I only did water changes every 3-4 weeks.
swamp-rat
swamp-rat
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down