Baby brine shrimp not hatching, why?

+2
Chiisai
fishNAbowl
6 posters

Go down

Baby brine shrimp not hatching, why?  Empty Baby brine shrimp not hatching, why?

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-20, 21:55

Picked up a kit, got it together, running good. Set up is under a light. It's been 3 days and no hatch. Anyone have pointers before I try another batch?
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Baby brine shrimp not hatching, why?  Empty Re: Baby brine shrimp not hatching, why?

Post  Chiisai 2014-02-20, 22:06

Ok here is what I do. My shimp factory holds about 3 cups so I dissolve about 1 cup of salt to 2 cups water(basically disolve as much salt as the water will hold) Keeping in mind the water is WARM. add the shrimp and stick an air line inside for an hour or so to thoroughly hydrate the eggs. then I take a repti cord heater and wrap the container. I have full hatch in 24hrs.

BTW sounds cheesy but those sea monkey containers are teh best. They are see through so you can check the status of the eggs and they have ports big enough for an airline in the lid so no need to even take the lid off.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Baby brine shrimp not hatching, why?  Empty Re: Baby brine shrimp not hatching, why?

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-20, 22:11

With the kit I have it included packets where the eggs are mixed with salt. I am not sure what the ratio is but I could use less water to raise salinity. 

I should be heating the water? Room temp isn't warm enough? 

Should I be taking out the airline hose then? Geez, I've had it in there for the full 3 days.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-02-20, 22:14

So you got no orange at all? I hatch with eggs and 1 tablespoon of rock salt per liter with mild airation. I do not dechlor the water at all.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-02-20, 22:15

Temp is a HUGE factor in when they hatch. if they are holding at 65ish then my chart tells me 4-7days hatch time. If salt and eggs are premixed then that should be fine. I jsut buy the vials of san fransisco eggs for like $3 and thats thousands and thousands I just have to supply salt and water. A heater of any sort will speed up the hatch process I like to have the brine shrimp next day so I can feed my fry/fish more then once a week. I have heard of people leaving the airline in the whole time but when the water is bubbling I cant see the lil shrimps so I just aerate enough to saturate the eggs.
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-02-20, 22:19

check out brineshrimp direct. they handle a lot of brine shrimp related products, mostly for scientific standards so the quality is very high. i think the 90% hatch is around 20 bucks a lb.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2014-02-20, 22:31

We used to hatch them out at 80F.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-20, 23:41

Okay guys, I'll stick with this batch for a bit longer. The water looks fine still, the temp fluctuates in my home from 66-71 deg F. I'll keep this batch going another day or two and search around for some sort of heater element. 

I did use a bit of dechlorniator . Cory, I would be surprised if it ever got under 80 deg F in your store Smile
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-02-20, 23:54

For heating I use a reflector light with a normal light bulb in it and I just kinda get the temp to about 78 degrees and find that sweet spot...how far the light has to be from the bottle and viola...shrimpees
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-20, 23:57

That's good Donna. An instant fiX, I gotta fixture I can use, thanks!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-23, 00:04

So the little buggers hatched today. Was fun feeding my fish these tiny tiny buggers for the 1st time. 
Ember tetra & Coridora knew what just to do-gobble em up. All the bigger fish took some time but caught on. 

Thank you for all the input! 
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-02-23, 01:49

Glad it worked out for you. Yeah I think if you can heat them with a lamp/repticord/whatever you will get faster results in the future. Cheers!
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-02-23, 12:40

anything u use for the brine shrimp may become rusty if you dont keep it clean (the little tiny drops of salt water really do a number on interior decor) Razz glad your fish are liking em.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-23, 13:00

Yeah, it was pretty cool. It's like another milestone in the hobby to begin growing and harvesting your own foods. I've housed feeders for WC predators but this is a bit different. 

A shout out to Cory for suggesting the air valve. It was essential in cutting off the air, and pouring out the brine shrimp. Worked flawlessly as I collected them into a cup with a coffee filter. 

Thank you!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down