Hatching Killifish Eggs! First time >,<

3 posters

Go down

Hatching Killifish Eggs! First time >,< Empty Hatching Killifish Eggs! First time >,<

Post  Gianne00 2013-09-26, 23:28

Ok guys, I (somewhat impulsively....but after much research) decided to buy some Blue Gularis Niger Delta Fp sjoestedti eggs off of aquabid. I'm experienced at raising bettas, but am excited to try killifish. I hope that the fry rearing stage isn't all that different than baby bettas.

I'm a little nervous about hatching them. I have read that the peat moss should be boiled and rinsed prior to use, but the instructions aren't very clear. Boiled for how long? Immediately prior to use, or is it ok to boil it a week before hand? Rinse until clear? In what, a fine strainer? How thick should the peat moss layer be when I put eggs on top?

I at least have the incubation temperature set up (just putting it on top of one of my betta flexwatt heat mats - keeps it bang on 80 degrees when I fill the container with about 1/2" damp peat and lay a thermometer on top). How much air circulation do they need? I have the container wrapped in a black plastic bag to prevent light from entering, but I fear that there is little air circulation.

Sorry for all the questions, and I am trying to contact local killi breeders for advice. They have been helpful, but I am still lacking details!

Thanks!
Gianne
Gianne00
Gianne00
Fry

http://ingloriousbettas.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Hatching Killifish Eggs! First time >,< Empty Re: Hatching Killifish Eggs! First time >,<

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-26, 23:38

Hi Gianne00,

Someone may chime in with Killifish experience. If not , try this link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. GSAS (Greater Seattle Aquarium Society) is a wonderful group. They don't have a forum like Washington Fish Box but they have an "email thread" that people sign up to. Anyone can ask questions just like the one you just did. It goes out to a bunch of awesome people who love to talk fish. A lot of us are GSAS members. The only reason I am referring you to GSAS & the airstone thread is because I know there is many people on there that either know a lot about your fish or know someone who can help! Airstone is free. He link should take you to the GSAS website where you can read more before choosing to sign up to airstone or not.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Hatching Killifish Eggs! First time >,< Empty Re: Hatching Killifish Eggs! First time >,<

Post  BallardFishGuy 2013-09-28, 15:23

Plus One what fishNAbowl said!  

Just know you have to sign up to be able to post on AIRSTONE!  

I can tell you personally that there are several people on there I would consider an expert on Killifish. One member Steve Waldron is opening is own store this fall called Aquarium Zen and it's several block away from The Fish Store if you know where that is in Seattle. It's going to be a boutique/specially style shop, and having been in it already I can tell you it's going to be amazing!  I feel lucky to live so close to so many great LFS!

Several GSAS members also went down to Portland this summer to the Killifish Convention, I had a member bring me back an amazing pair of False Jewel Killifish but unfortunately the female went missing after a few days in my heavily planted tank... so I never had the joy of trying fry. 

Anyway keep us posted!
BallardFishGuy
BallardFishGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down