Brine Shrimp Culture Setups ??

+2
bronzefighter
BrookAshley
6 posters

Go down

Brine Shrimp Culture Setups ?? Empty Brine Shrimp Culture Setups ??

Post  BrookAshley 2013-12-30, 14:01

I've decided that I'm going to try a brine shrimp (culture ?), and I was wondering if anyone has had any longterm experience raising them successfully?
BrookAshley
BrookAshley
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Brine Shrimp Culture Setups ?? Empty Re: Brine Shrimp Culture Setups ??

Post  bronzefighter 2013-12-30, 17:46

BrookAshley wrote:I've decided that I'm going to try a brine shrimp (culture ?), and I was wondering if anyone has had any longterm experience raising them successfully?

Talk to Cory (Aquarium Co-Op), he's got this awesome mad scientist set-up in the back of his store. He claims it's for brine shrimp, but I swear he told me to call him Heisenberg and mentioned something about cooking  confused pale  confused 
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-12-30, 18:50

Check out Angelman's YouTube vid about brine shrimp.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-12-30, 20:49

I have a brine shrimp hatchery...the bottle is a used pop bottle that sits upside down in holder that an some airtubing runs into. The bottom is cut off the bottle. I have it marked for the right amount of water. I add my water, usually about 78 degrees at add, turn on the bubbler, add the aquarium salt, turn on the light and let things settle for a couple of hours...add my brine shrimp and just wait for them to hatch...usually about 16-20 hours later I have a great batch of them. Settle the shrimplets off, feed some after rinsing, the rest go into a cup with some of the water from the process. I put that cup in the fridge and it feeds my group the next day as I have to wait the 16 hours or so for the next batch once I clean the bottle and start things over. Works like a charm.

I got my brine shrimp eggs from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BrookAshley 2013-12-31, 14:07

Thank you SirWesDragon the video was helpful Smile
BrookAshley
BrookAshley
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BrookAshley 2013-12-31, 14:10

I was wondering though if the water has to be warm for them to hatch or would room temp water work?
BrookAshley
BrookAshley
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-12-31, 14:45

Temp effects how long it takes to hatch at 80 degrees it takes roughly 18 hours to hatch. Colder can take up to 36 hours.

Are you looking to just hatch them or having a culture breeding brine shrimp?
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BrookAshley 2013-12-31, 14:48

I want to try culture breeding, my Bettas really like them lol
BrookAshley
BrookAshley
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-12-31, 14:56

I'd recommend setting up whatever the largest container you have handy is, 10 gallon tank, 20 gallon trough etc. Fill it with salty water. hatch up a batch of eggs and put the fry into the container. Then just lightly feed them every few days. The hardest part and trick I haven't mastered yet is how to raise high quantities. Because as they grow from like a baby to an adult in the coarse of the month they molt 15 times and tends to pollute the water.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  BrookAshley 2013-12-31, 15:00

Hm, I guess I'll just have to mess with it a bit and figure out something that works,
Thank you for the advice Smile

Last edited by BrookAshley on 2014-01-06, 18:07; edited 1 time in total
BrookAshley
BrookAshley
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2014-01-02, 16:26

as i understand it its the freshly hatched babies that you want. their "egg sac" is packed with vitamins and minerals and they just lose all these good qualitys as they age. even my 4-5'' big fish figure out how to eat them so i wouldnt worry too much. definitely get brineshrimpdirect.com eggs. great value and they have wonderful customer service. ill try and take some pics of my setup so you can get an idea of what your looking for.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-05, 01:28

wife and I went out and bought a "sea Monkey" kit and put our eggs in that. It has 2 "ports" on each end that you can run an air hose into and we use a "repti-cord" wrapped around the base to hatch 90% in less then 24hrs!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-01-05, 02:33

Anthraxx wrote:as i understand it its the freshly hatched babies that you want. their "egg sac" is packed with vitamins and minerals and they just lose all these good qualitys as they age. even my 4-5'' big fish figure out how to eat them so i wouldnt worry too much. definitely get brineshrimpdirect.com eggs. great value and they have wonderful customer service. ill try and take some pics of my setup so you can get an idea of what your looking for.

In studies it shows that adult brine shrimp are even better than baby brine. It's just that a baby brine shrimp that is say 2 days old, is less nutrition than a freshly hatched one.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Brine Shrimp Culture Setups ?? Empty Some pics of your brine shrimp set up would be great :) I'm actually trying to raise them to adults but its not going so well they just die a few days after hatching...

Post  BrookAshley 2014-01-06, 18:04

Anthraxx wrote:as i understand it its the freshly hatched babies that you want. their "egg sac" is packed with vitamins and minerals and they just lose all these good qualitys as they age. even my 4-5'' big fish figure out how to eat them so i wouldnt worry too much. definitely get brineshrimpdirect.com eggs. great value and they have wonderful customer service. ill try and take some pics of my setup so you can get an idea of what your looking for.
BrookAshley
BrookAshley
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down