Green Spotted Puffer with over grown teeth? Help.

5 posters

Go down

Green Spotted Puffer with over grown teeth? Help. Empty Green Spotted Puffer with over grown teeth? Help.

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-03, 14:52

I have had a green spotted Puffer now for almost a year. Within the last week he's having troubles eating. I now have to turn off the pump so he is able to catch the blood worms I feed him. His (unsure of gender really) previous owner said she never had problems with his teeth in the year she had him either. I plan on getting snails for him but what do I do if he refuses to eat them or his teeth are possibly too long already?

He is about an inch to an inch and a half long. Hasn't grown any since I got him. Unsure why. Other than eating he acts normal. He just isn't eating as much at one time so I've been feeding him twice a week. My boyfriend and I have been fighting the flu and the nearest fish store is 40 mins away so it's been difficult to get to snails.

Hopefully today or tomorrow I will be able to but I'm just wondering if there is other alternatives? As well, is there one kind of snail better than others to give green spotted Puffer? Ramshorn, mystery, or even shrimp possibly?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Green Spotted Puffer with over grown teeth? Help. Empty Re: Green Spotted Puffer with over grown teeth? Help.

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-03, 14:53

Feeding him twice a day, not week.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Green Spotted Puffer with over grown teeth? Help. Empty Re: Green Spotted Puffer with over grown teeth? Help.

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-02-03, 14:57

Clams on the half shell can work also. The problem is their teeth need to be ground down over a period of time. So lets say the next week worth of snails won't make a large impact right away. if they are too long and he can't open his mouth much wider etc. You'll need to study up on how to trim the teeth. A process I've never had to do but am always looking to avoid.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-03, 15:14

I read briefly how you can use clove oil and cuticle clippers but this idea makes me very very nervous! I live in the oyster capital so what kind of class would work? He's able to get blood worms in his mouth just has a harder time with it now. :/ so I'm hoping snails or clams will work. Do you have any snail suggestions too?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-03, 15:25

Can I possibly give him other foods to help give him nutrients like ken's tropical fish flake?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-04, 21:34

Snails have been in the tank for 24 hours and none have been touched :/.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  zach_discus 2014-02-05, 02:30

Probably gonna have to trim them. Its not bad just don't overdo the clove oil.
zach_discus
zach_discus
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-05, 12:06

Do you have any tips? He's so small I'm not sure how I'm going to clip them. His mouth is tiny. Do I take him out of the clove oil water and expose him to the air to clip them? And how much oil should I use for him? He's about and inch to inch and a half long. Definitely not over 2". I'm afraid to cut his mouth! Ahh lol help!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-05, 15:38

That's creepy . He won't munch on the snails? What about cuttlebone or something? How big are the snails that are in the tank? U could come over and pick baby Malaysian snails from my tank....?!?!? IDK, just throwing stuff out there.... Now I am creeped out. Think ill pick snails out and make sure there is a good supply for my Pea Puffers....
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-02-05, 15:44

They sell nail clippers with a magnifying glass on them, we used those to clip small bird beaks and nails. Maybe you should try to find some.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-05, 16:20

Lol creepy he won't eat the snails? I got some from one head size to pencil eraser to girls thumbnail sized. I got a variety. Your snails would be awesome but I'm only 50 mins from Oregon. That'd be quite the drive lol thank you for the offer! But I would definitely suggest snails for your pea puffers!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-05, 16:25

MorganEA wrote:They sell nail clippers with a magnifying glass on them, we used those to clip small bird beaks and nails. Maybe you should try to find some.

That's an awesome idea! Thanks you! I'll try and find some!
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-05, 21:37

I was able to kind of get a picture of him. I think I've caught him maybe in time that they are super over grown. Just slightly difficult for him to eat. I looked up pictures online and he is nothing close to some of those. Hopefully he will pick up eating snails after his teeth are trimmed. This guy makes it look easy. So here is a good link with a decent video for others who may come across the same problem!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-02-05, 22:17

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

AWWWWW, he'sssssss kewt!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-05, 22:27

I kinda think so too Smile I call him Mr. Pea Body. He has stayed small since I got him with no or very little unnoticeable growth. I was told he was a pea puffer when I got him to find out later he's a green spotted puffer.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-06, 01:37

Just read you can feed them krill, that should help more than blood worms for keeping their teeth down. I think I'm going to alternate between krill and blood worms. Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone else who has puffers! Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-02-06, 01:54

Also, read puffers can be on the lazy side and if they know they are going to be supplied with easy food such as blood worms or krill they won't go after snails because it is too much work compared to the other foods.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down