Thoughts on this food.... YFS brand

2 posters

Go down

Thoughts on this food.... YFS brand Empty Thoughts on this food.... YFS brand

Post  DMD123 2014-01-11, 14:41

Just found this product. They do not use grain products. Looks like the potato starch is their binder.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ingredients
Herring meal, Potato Starch, Squid meal, Spirulina, Garlic, Yeast, Yeast extract, Paprika oleoresin, DL Methionine, Brewers dried yeast,and added vitamins and minerals.

Analysis
49% Protein
9% Fat
2% Fiber
10% Moisture

Thoughts on this food....
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on this food.... YFS brand Empty Re: Thoughts on this food.... YFS brand

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-01-11, 17:09

I always enjoy seeing something new and doing a little looking around when I see things I don't know much about...maybe someone else will find some other info on the feed ingredients.

On Potato starch I found the following:
Fish
Carps (Cyprinus carpio L.)
In common carps, a diet containing 41% potato starch had a slightly lower energy digestibility (85 vs 90%) than diets containing maize starch or wheat starch. Growth and feed conversion efficiency were not influenced by starch source. The DM, fat and energy content in carps given potato starch was significantly lower than those of carps given maize starch or wheat starch (Schwarz et al., 1993).

On DL Methionine I found:
Methionine restriction[edit]

There is scientific evidence that restricting methionine consumption can increase lifespans in some animals.[10]
A 2005 study showed methionine restriction without energy restriction extends mouse lifespan.[11]
A study published in Nature showed adding just the essential amino acid methionine to the diet of fruit flies under dietary restriction, including restriction of essential amino acids (EAAs), restored fertility without reducing the longer lifespans that are typical of dietary restriction, leading the researchers to determine that methionine “acts in combination with one or more other EAAs to shorten lifespan.”[12][13]
Several studies showed that methionine restriction also inhibits aging-related disease processes in mice[14][15] and inhibits colon carcinogenesis in rats.[16]
A 2009 study on rats showed "methionine supplementation in the diet specifically increases mitochondrial ROS production and mitochondrial DNA oxidative damage in rat liver mitochondria offering a plausible mechanism for its hepatotoxicity".[17]
However, since methionine is an essential amino acid, it should not be entirely removed from animals' diets without disease or death occurring over time. For example, rats fed a diet without methionine developed steatohepatitis (fatty liver), anemia and lost two thirds of their body weight over 5 weeks. Administration of methionine ameliorated the pathological consequences of methionine deprivation.[18]
Other uses[edit]

DL-Methionine is sometimes given as a supplement to dogs; it helps keep dogs from damaging grass by reducing the pH of the urine.[19][unreliable source?]
Methionine is allowed as a supplement to organic poultry feed under the US certified organic program.[20]

cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on this food.... YFS brand Empty Re: Thoughts on this food.... YFS brand

Post  DMD123 2014-01-11, 20:11

Kind of tough to know how much potato starch is being used but listed as a second ingredient its not good. But I know many of the foods actually have a high grain product content to them.

I would like to know ash content on the YFS. Two current foods in my mix are pretty high at 12-15% which I am finishing off and will not use anymore. Another brand I recently used claims a low 8% to possibly as low as 6% but they do not list it on their label.

I dont plan on using YFS, just saw it and wondered what others thought.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down