Bulb Life . . . thoughts/opinions?

2 posters

Go down

Bulb Life . . . thoughts/opinions? Empty Bulb Life . . . thoughts/opinions?

Post  Clogstonian 2010-06-09, 11:20

I run (2) 65w CF's on my 40gal and typically switch them out every 10 months on an alternating schedule.

Sure they throw out "light" for much longer but in the "useful" plant spectrum range, IMHO, by 10-12 months they pretty much spent.

Looking forward to hear from y'all
Clogstonian
Clogstonian
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Bulb Life . . . thoughts/opinions? Empty Re: Bulb Life . . . thoughts/opinions?

Post  CrashSmAshley 2010-06-10, 02:20

Are you using standard full spectrum lighting or UV A/B fluorescent? If it's just a regular fluorescent then the plants aren't getting the full energy they need to photosynthesize and such anyways. But yes, lighting generally should be replace every year
CrashSmAshley
CrashSmAshley
Contributing Member

https://www.facebook.com/people/Ashley-Kate-Schneider/781865286

Back to top Go down

Post  Clogstonian 2010-06-10, 09:31

CrashSmAshley wrote:Are you using standard full spectrum lighting or UV A/B fluorescent? If it's just a regular fluorescent then the plants aren't getting the full energy they need to photosynthesize and such anyways. But yes, lighting generally should be replace every year

Question UV A/B Question . . . using Coralife, or eqivalent, plant bulds (1) 10K, (1) 6.7K

I'll google the UV ab deal and see whadupwitdat
Clogstonian
Clogstonian
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-06-11, 12:37

A lot of reading that I have done on lights show a dramatic decrease in the efficiantcy at the 6 month mark and are useually are only producing around half of there wattage at this point. But yes changing your bulbs anually is a good way to do it ideally alternating a bulb change every 6 months is the best (imo).

Back to top Go down

Post  Clogstonian 2010-06-11, 13:06

fish_n_vw wrote:A lot of reading that I have done on lights show a dramatic decrease in the efficiantcy at the 6 month mark and are useually are only producing around half of there wattage at this point. But yes changing your bulbs anually is a good way to do it ideally alternating a bulb change every 6 months is the best (imo).

THANKS! It's really noticable when you plug the new bulb in, so much brighter . . . makes for a spendy bulb habit but I need my greens
Clogstonian
Clogstonian
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrashSmAshley 2010-06-11, 14:45

Clogstonian wrote: Question UV A/B Question . . . using Coralife, or eqivalent, plant bulds (1) 10K, (1) 6.7K

I'll google the UV ab deal and see whadupwitdat

UVA and UVB are ultraviolet rays that the sun produces. Plants use the rays to make their food and such. In regular fluorescent lighting the tubes only provide full spectrum lighting and no UV rays therefore depleting the plants ability to photosynthesize. With certain flurescent tubes, however, they have been created to mimic the UVA and UVB rays to allow plants to be able to sustain themselves and flourish with the ability to produce food and other nutrients.
CrashSmAshley
CrashSmAshley
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrashSmAshley 2010-06-11, 14:46

fish_n_vw wrote:A lot of reading that I have done on lights show a dramatic decrease in the efficiantcy at the 6 month mark and are useually are only producing around half of there wattage at this point. But yes changing your bulbs anually is a good way to do it ideally alternating a bulb change every 6 months is the best (imo).

Really? I never knew that. Thanks for the tip!
CrashSmAshley
CrashSmAshley
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down