teacup stingray question

5 posters

Go down

teacup stingray question  Empty teacup stingray question

Post  Jessielynn1024 2013-12-14, 00:03

Thinking of ordering a couple. The research I've done says they only get to b around 12"diameter. I have a 180 acrylic I'd like to put one or two I'm and was wondering if anyone has any info on these guys and what size their mouth gets to b so I know what tropical community fish I can keep with them
Jessielynn1024
Jessielynn1024
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

teacup stingray question  Empty Re: teacup stingray question

Post  DMD123 2013-12-14, 01:26

Even though the teacup (retic) can be kept in a smaller type tank that most of us have these are not a good beginner ray. It is usually better to start with a motoro and a bigger tank. Thats just what Ive come up with from my research. A ray is one of my dream fish, but I wouldnt try it unless I had a least a 36" wide tank if not wider.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-12-14, 12:54

And if the species is sensitive, that sensitivity will essentially be multiplied when you reduce the size of the tank, because the smaller water volume makes the tank more prone to fluctuations in temp or water parameters. I don't know anything at all about rays, but DMD has good advice, I would listen to him!
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  Ripples 2013-12-23, 00:27

I just did a quick look up on google and found this little article about them Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It looks like anything 4" or bigger is fine with them but to avoid putting aggressive fish in with it, such as puffers which I have heard are real jerks in the fish world lol
Ripples
Ripples
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-23, 00:50

That article is so horribly wrong. They claim: "These little Stingrays typically get no bigger than 6-7 inches in their disc diameter and about 12 inches in length from head to tail. They are remarkably adaptable and can live in aquariums as small as 30 gallons." This is so NOT true! A retic stingray can get 14" in diameter and bare minimum a 75 gallon is recommended, but bigger is better. Where did they get their info? If they stayed as little as they claim , I would have a few in my 210g...
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ripples 2013-12-23, 01:20

I had noticed that as well about the tank size, I would assume that any fish that is a surface dweller and on the larger size (Being bigger than my preference of under 6") would need a minimum tank size of AT LEAST 55 gal. Though I couldn't find much info except for other forums asking about it. Then again, I really didn't put that much effort into as I am distracted with other things at the moment.

I agree with you on not getting one unless you have a wider and longer tank. I would love to have one as well but I doubt I would ever have room to fit such a tank in my house! lol
Ripples
Ripples
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick_87 2013-12-23, 03:14

I considered getting a pair myself a while back but decided after extensive research I will hold off until I acquire a 240 and instead of retic stingrays I will be going with hystrix which if you are interested in getting a ray spend a bit more and get a hystrix. It will be well worth your investment.
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-23, 12:59

The hystrix are the way to go for a small ray. They stay fairly small for a ray at around a 14" disc. They still usually recommend a 30" wide tank for an adult but I think a 240 with a 24" x 96" footprint would be great.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-23, 19:06

Nick_87 did you have any connection on where to get a hystrix? Its not like they are easy to get ahold of or cheap. Also have to be on the look out you are not getting a 'false' hystrix or basically orbinyi, humerosa which get in the 20-25" disc diameter.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down