bga question

3 posters

Go down

bga question Empty bga question

Post  n9643750 2014-01-13, 04:17

Well, here I am in the middle of a blue green algae infestation in my 75 gallon planted tank. It was bound to happen I suppose. Everything had been working far too easily. Anyway, I've done some research, cleaned the filters, added some extra water flow, dosed some kno3 and am in the first day of a three day black out. The biggest problem at the moment is that I was getting ready to move the filter from this tank to my African cichlid tank. Can I do that without spreading bacteria all over that tank too? I'm worried that the only safe thing to do will be to boil all of the filter media completely destroying all of the beneficial bacteria in the process. Any thoughts?

n9643750
Fry

Back to top Go down

bga question Empty Re: bga question

Post  Jubs 2014-01-13, 04:22

I always use Erythromycin for BGA... it does the job well.
Jubs
Jubs
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2014-01-13, 12:59

I'm inclined to agree with Jubs. I tried blackouts, adding nitrates, more water changes, and manual removal - none of that worked for me. When I finally tore down my problem tank and re-built it from scratch I soaked everything that was being re-used in 140F water, which seemed to do the trick.

I think boiling the media and pouring some boiling water into the filter itself is definitely a good idea if you're going to move it off of a tank that still has BGA. This may or may not be necessary, but that stuff is awful - you don't want it spreading!  affraid 
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2014-01-13, 20:34

I used chemi clean and it whiped the bga out in a couple days. I had discus and roseline sharks didnt lose or stress any fish as long as you follow the directions. If your interested im selling the chemi clean that i used only once. just let me know.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jubs 2014-01-13, 21:46

Yes Chemi Clean works well as well. Its pricey upfront but goes a long way if you're not using it on huge tanks. I couldn't remember the name of it last night lol.

I have never had luck with blackouts other than green water either.
Jubs
Jubs
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  n9643750 2014-01-14, 14:26

Have you guys experienced problems with either of those treatments in regard to the health of fish and beneficial bacteria?

n9643750
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down