Finnex Fuge Ray Planted Plus - Ray 2 - Monster Ray - Light Combinations

+4
JimA
WhosUrDadi
fishNAbowl
PokeSephiroth
8 posters

Go down

Finnex Fuge Ray Planted Plus - Ray 2 - Monster Ray - Light Combinations Empty Finnex Fuge Ray Planted Plus - Ray 2 - Monster Ray - Light Combinations

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-12-05, 03:09

IIn this video, I review Finnex LED Light Fixtures, ranging from the Monster Ray, Fuge Ray Planted Plus, and Ray 2. Finnex's line of LED lights are really great, and I'm happy with their products. They're small and slim, which means you can add more than one LED light fixture on your tank, as you see fit. I cover the various combinations you can do with these lights, and how they look, comparatively with one another. I hope this video is informative for you all! Come by Aquarium Co-Op in Edmonds and see the lights in action!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Finnex Fuge Ray Planted Plus - Ray 2 - Monster Ray - Light Combinations Empty Re: Finnex Fuge Ray Planted Plus - Ray 2 - Monster Ray - Light Combinations

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-05, 09:09

Awesome vid Poke! I am contemplating mixing different fixtures in my 2 foot tank. Since changing to the RAY2 there is room for TWICE the lighting on my tank. But, since the RAY2 is a bit brighter than the duel T5HO that was on the tank i will not be doubling up! The info displayed in this video is outstanding. I will be adding another 4' strip just not sure if i will be adding the PLANTED+ or a 3rd RAY2. As of now the star grass you gave me is growing really good 2' down under 1 strip using RAY2. Ive tried growing high light foreground plants without success in this tank with T5HO (like dwarf chain swords. Im contemplating trying again now under these RAY2's.

Again, this is 2 feet under water under 1 4 foot RAY2. In this tank there is a 1 last duel T5HO hovering above the background plants. This will be replaced soon with another 4' FENNEX LED fixture.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here's the other side of the same 2 foot deep tank. The tank is 7' long. The light above is a 3' FENNEX RAY2.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Finnex Fuge Ray Planted Plus - Ray 2 - Monster Ray - Light Combinations Empty Re: Finnex Fuge Ray Planted Plus - Ray 2 - Monster Ray - Light Combinations

Post  WhosUrDadi 2013-12-05, 10:07

what are the prices for 24" monster ray, 24" Fuge ray, and 24" ray 2 form aquarium co-op?
WhosUrDadi
WhosUrDadi
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2013-12-05, 14:41

I didn't want to start a new thread but I had an email from Aquatop that they have come out with their own LED light 3 different versions.  Looks interesting..

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-05, 15:02

WhosUrDadi wrote:what are the prices for 24" monster ray, 24" Fuge ray, and 24" ray 2 form aquarium co-op?
I would just call for prices.

JimA wrote:I didn't want to start a new thread but I had an email from Aquatop that they have come out with their own LED light 3 different versions.  Looks interesting..
I maybe wrong but isn't FINNEX & AQUATOP affiliated somehow?
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-12-05, 16:15

JimA wrote:I didn't want to start a new thread but I had an email from Aquatop that they have come out with their own LED light 3 different versions.  Looks interesting..

Yes, me too, so I looked them up on Amazon and the reviews for their SkyLED lights are awful and the prices are a lot higher than the Finnex lights. The reviews for the Finnex FugeRay and Ray2 are much better.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-12-05, 16:44

fishNAbowl wrote:
From what I remember, Aquatop has the exact same models that Finnex has, and they just slap on their brand on it, and mark up the price. We do have Aquatop LED lights on some of the tanks, and they look pretty much identical to one another.

One thing that Finnex has over Aquatop, is their different sizes that they offer. Aquatop is only limited to, I think...3 different sizes (24", 36", and 48"), while Finnex utilizes I believe 9 different sizes (for the most part, 10", 12", 16", 18", 20", 24", 30", 36", and 48")

I kinda like to think of it this way, HD tvs are all made in warehouses/factories, and then they're shipped out to companies that slap their brand name on it, and sell for whatever prices they have to consumers. So, essentially, a tv by Sony, and a tv by Panasonic, may have come from the same manufacturer, and even have the same specs, so to speak. Etc.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-12-05, 16:46

Aquatop's LED placement patterns are very different, so they're not just re-branded.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-12-05, 17:20

pbmax wrote:Aquatop's LED placement patterns are very different, so they're not just re-branded.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-12-05, 17:21

Watch it, you'll put out your fire sticks... Shocked 
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-05, 22:11

PokeSephiroth wrote:
fishNAbowl wrote:
From what I remember, Aquatop has the exact same models that Finnex has, and they just slap on their brand on it, and mark up the price. We do have Aquatop LED lights on some of the tanks, and they look pretty much identical to one another.

One thing that Finnex has over Aquatop, is their different sizes that they offer. Aquatop is only limited to, I think...3 different sizes (24", 36", and 48"), while Finnex utilizes I believe 9 different sizes (for the most part, 10", 12", 16", 18", 20", 24", 30", 36", and 48")

I kinda like to think of it this way, HD tvs are all made in warehouses/factories, and then they're shipped out to companies that slap their brand name on it, and sell for whatever prices they have to consumers. So, essentially, a tv by Sony, and a tv by Panasonic, may have come from the same manufacturer, and even have the same specs, so to speak. Etc.
There IS truth to this. When manufacturing electronic components each component is tested & graded. Components that test higher are used in higher grade electronics. The others are often sent to electronic manufactures that sell discounted. A LOT of these are sent to China. That's another reason you can buy  electronics from this region so cheep. But your getting what your paying for.

So, Aqua Top very well could be using many of the same components as Fennex. I know they use the same external hardware. I have both AquaTop & Fennex LED  fixtures. They "look" EXACTLY the same! But the internals could be different. I know the spectrum is.

This is why I asked the question. I thought I heard somewhere they where affiliated some how. Like one owning the other, or brother companies, different departments, something...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-12-05, 22:14

If I'm not mistaken, Aquatop is also a company that likes to change their company name after a couple years or so. They were also formerly known as Sunsun (*ahem* sunsun canister filters...*ahem*)... and what you say is right, I remember reading a topic about the Sunsun canister filters being of slightly lower quality, than the other pseudo brand name that same company goes through...or something like that.

(Reference: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] )
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2013-12-05, 23:12

Hard to say, I remember a few years ago when flat screens were hitting the market, something like 80% plus of the actual screens came from Samsung they may still be? Were talking Sharp, Sanyo and Toshiba plus many others. Either way it's like the beamworks leds, many will argue they are cheap/inexpensive but I have had mine for close to 2 years now with only one problem. Same with the aquatop canister filters I have, they are really a good bang for the buck. That being said I also have a FX5 but would not hesitate in the least in buying another aquatop canister.

FWIW you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Marineland led light and a Beamworks led except the price.

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-12-06, 02:33

pbmax wrote:Aquatop's LED placement patterns are very different, so they're not just re-branded.
Actually they are made at the same factory. The problem is you guys are comparing apples to oranges.

The Sky LED that was mentioned earlier is terrible and was discontinued by aquatop. They sit at the wholesalers collecting dust. Here is an amazon to it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The Aquatop comparable light to a finnex is also the SkyLED. The link can be found here.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As you look at the pictures you'll see the fixtures are identical. The Aquatops only come in 2 ft, 3 ft, and 4 ft models. And only come in 1 row of 6700k leds and 1 row of 10k leds. Where as the Finnex uses double 7k rows of leds. So slight color temperature differences in the lights but made at the same factory, and look identical except for the badge on it. The other big difference is the Aquatop light is more expensive than Finnex.

Also they decided to make two different lights with the same name SKY LED. Which lead to consumer confusion and their down fall into entering the lighting market.

Last edited by Aquarium Co-Op on 2013-12-06, 02:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot the second link.)
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-06, 09:04

Whoop, there it is. Thanks Cory!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WhosUrDadi 2013-12-06, 10:26

what about this?

it is a new design from Mr aqua and the wider dimension of the fixture make the tank 0 dark space. any thoughts?
WhosUrDadi
WhosUrDadi
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-12-06, 12:46

I haven't tried that light yet. But the previous Mr. Aqua LED sits at the wholesaler in a dark corner due to price/ not putting out much light Sad It look nice... but don't put out much light.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  WhosUrDadi 2013-12-06, 13:01

Aquarium Co-Op wrote:I haven't tried that light yet. But the previous Mr. Aqua LED sits at the wholesaler in a dark corner due to price/ not putting out much light Sad It look nice... but don't put out much light.
I see.. Cory what do you suggest to use, if I have a 24x12x12 tank, ray2 + monster ray or fugeray planted plus + monster ray?
WhosUrDadi
WhosUrDadi
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  WhosUrDadi 2013-12-06, 13:14

I wish finnex can do this to their light..

WhosUrDadi
WhosUrDadi
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-06, 13:35

WhosUrDadi wrote:I wish finnex can do this to their light..
They can! The timer can be used with other brands. It goes inline on the power cord. I just got one and use it with Aqueon LED's.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WhosUrDadi 2013-12-06, 13:40

DMD123 wrote:
WhosUrDadi wrote:I wish finnex can do this to their light..
They can! The timer can be used with other brands. It goes inline on the power cord. I just got one and use it with Aqueon LED's.
really? i thought the fixture suppose to be dimmable??? o_O
WhosUrDadi
WhosUrDadi
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  WhosUrDadi 2013-12-06, 13:47

NVM.. i just saw this....

^_^ good to know that it will work to almost any fixture..
WhosUrDadi
WhosUrDadi
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-06, 13:52

Its funny that according to the instructions from Current, the timer is only an On/Off function when used with the Satellite+ lights. I just ordered these for my 210g so I might see if that really is the case.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WhosUrDadi 2013-12-06, 14:19

DMD123 wrote:Its funny that according to the instructions from Current, the timer is only an On/Off function when used with the Satellite+ lights. I just ordered these for my 210g so I might see if that really is the case.  
Do you have the Satellite+ lights?
WhosUrDadi
WhosUrDadi
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-12-06, 21:50

WhosUrDadi wrote:
DMD123 wrote:Its funny that according to the instructions from Current, the timer is only an On/Off function when used with the Satellite+ lights. I just ordered these for my 210g so I might see if that really is the case.  
Do you have the  Satellite+ lights?
Just came in today and just installed them. Petsolutions had a sale so I got the two 36" lights for $170. They have tons of color options thats for sure. I think I like the plain old full spectrum setting.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WhosUrDadi 2013-12-06, 22:03

DMD123 wrote:
WhosUrDadi wrote:
Do you have the  Satellite+ lights?
Just came in today and just installed them. Petsolutions had a sale so I got the two 36" lights for $170. They have tons of color options thats for sure. I think I like the plain old full spectrum setting.
nice.. much pricier than finnex thats all I can say. I like the timer tho.. ^_^
WhosUrDadi
WhosUrDadi
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Squirmteben 2013-12-07, 02:32

I have a Finnex Ray II and love it, except the cord is too short, so it can't reach the powerstrip I have on the floor. My only complaint.
Squirmteben
Squirmteben
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down