Painting Finnex LED Light Fixtures (possible?)

Go down

Painting Finnex LED Light Fixtures (possible?) Empty Painting Finnex LED Light Fixtures (possible?)

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-09-04, 18:12

I've always wondered if it was possible to paint them a different color... I know there are some high temperature paints that you can buy in spray paint form, although, this would mean that you would have to open up the light fixture, take the guts out, and all that other stuff, before you start painting away. Thus voiding your warranty (if you still have one).

UNLESS... you're REALLY good at sealing off everything that you don't want to paint, but... that sounds more tedious.

Anyway, I figure it might not be the best idea, especially if you were to paint the fixture, oh... I don't know...black. To help make it more aesthetically pleasing, as the grey/silver aluminum fixture is somewhat of an eye sore...

Only thing I can think of is, if I were to paint it, it might act as an insulator, and cause the fixture to heat up more than it should, or am I just over thinking things? I'm still unsure if I really want to paint them, but I thought that putting this topic up might prove useful for other people who may have thought of the same thing.

Opinions?

I'm on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]<--- Click! Watch! Add! Subscribe! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Painting Finnex LED Light Fixtures (possible?) Empty Re: Painting Finnex LED Light Fixtures (possible?)

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-09-04, 21:37

PokeSephiroth wrote:I've always wondered if it was possible to paint them a different color... I know there are some high temperature paints that you can buy in spray paint form, although, this would mean that you would have to open up the light fixture, take the guts out, and all that other stuff, before you start painting away. Thus voiding your warranty (if you still have one).

UNLESS... you're REALLY good at sealing off everything that you don't want to paint, but... that sounds more tedious.

Anyway, I figure it might not be the best idea, especially if you were to paint the fixture, oh... I don't know...black. To help make it more aesthetically pleasing, as the grey/silver aluminum fixture is somewhat of an eye sore...

Only thing I can think of is, if I were to paint it, it might act as an insulator, and cause the fixture to heat up more than it should, or am I just over thinking things? I'm still unsure if I really want to paint them, but I thought that putting this topic up might prove useful for other people who may have thought of the same thing.

Opinions?

I don't know how you can improve on perfection here, but a bit of customization shouldn't hurt.

Although these fixtures get warm I don't think they get 'hot' enough to effect a quality paint. I would use a spray designed for plastics. Krylon has been a good spray paint in the past for me. This dosent seem like tough project. Masking tape the areas you don't want painted . I would probably not paint the rails or the legs or they may not slide.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Painting Finnex LED Light Fixtures (possible?) Empty Re: Painting Finnex LED Light Fixtures (possible?)

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-09-04, 21:43

Well, as far as heat is concerned, the Monster Rays (and Ray2), I believe, run much hotter than the Fuge Ray and Fuge Ray Planted+, at least in my experience they do.

Krylon was one of the brands I had in mind. I didn't have much luck with Rustoleum in the past (different projects, mind you lol)

Maybe I'm just lazy....and don't want to deal with masking, or lazy because I don't want to open them up and void the warranty, or maybe I'm just lazy, period. LOL.... I want someone to do it for me. Razz

I'm on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]<--- Click! Watch! Add! Subscribe! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-09-04, 23:37

Suspect - Lazy?! The man who can spend hours / days on an aquarium project?

When I responded to your post I just had my hand on my 4' Ray2 for a couple minutes. I didn't think it was that warm. I have not heard of anyone painting these fixtures. You'd be the 1st to my knowledge to venture on this journey.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-09-05, 12:57

That's...true. Hehehe, anyone have a monster ray or Ray2 that they're willing to have me experiment on? =P

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum