Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien)

+12
MRTom
fishNAbowl
DMD123
Betty
LuminousAphid
KaraWolf
MorganEA
bronzefighter
MikeB
cichlid-gal
BillHN
PokeSephiroth
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) - Page 2 Empty Re: Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien)

Post  kingneptune 2014-01-23, 19:39

Hey Poke, I know that your axle no longer has a curved tail but I'd like to share my theory. My axle had the same thing when he was smaller. It looked like just the tip of his tail was curved/folded/bent. I'm fairly confident that its just how axie tails look when they're growing. Its since dissapeared and looks like yours.
kingneptune
kingneptune
Fry

Back to top Go down

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) - Page 2 Empty Re: Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien)

Post  lloyd378 2014-01-23, 21:14

Man, every time I see these; whether it be pics or in person , they intrigue me while at the same time freak me out. Great pics throughout this thread!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-23, 21:18

Cant these be kept with med/large fish? I know they would eat guppies... but what about a fish 2-4"?
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-01-23, 21:28

kingneptune wrote:Hey Poke, I know that your axle no longer has a curved tail but I'd like to share my theory. My axle had the same thing when he was smaller. It looked like just the tip of his tail was curved/folded/bent. I'm fairly confident that its just how axie tails look when they're growing. Its since dissapeared and looks like yours.

Wow, awesome! Thanks for the reply :)It seems that Axl Rosalotl's tail is nice and straight now, doesn't seem to have that odd little portion that's curved anymore. But it's really reassuring to hear that from another Axolotl keeper! Smile

Chiisai: Can't be kept with medium fish, as the fish will nip the Axolotl's sensitive/fragile gills, because they look like worms to them (the fish).
Snails can even be dangerous to axolotls, because when axolotls sleep, the snails can sneak up to the axolotls and eat the gills as well (I've heard that axolotls are so non-responsive when they're sleeping. I could be totally wrong though)... Bigger axolotls can even accidentally eat the snails, and if the snail is big enough, it might get stuck in an axolotl's stomach or digestive tract. (EEP!)
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiisai 2014-01-23, 22:09

so where the hell do these things live that they dont get picked at by fish, eaten by snails ect? Are these man made?
Chiisai
Chiisai

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-01-23, 22:46

They come from Mexico, and heck if I know, if they get eaten by fish or not. lol.

I'm just going with what I've read online, that when mixed with fish in aquariums, fish tend to nip at the axolotls' gills.
Here's a good read about them and their origin:
http://all-about-axolotls.blogspot.com/
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-01-27, 15:09

Guess what I found when I was doing the water change today? Jelly bellies...the tank was FULL of them. They were everywhere. Chadette must have been laying eggs for hours...OMGosh. I pulled a few and put them into a small tub for us to watch and see what happens but really I didn't know what I was doing so I may have damaged them in the process. Anyway...just a couple to let the grandkids see the progress of how this works (and me too). I don't want to raise up a bunch of these but its fun to see the process at least once. I kept wondering why Chadette had such a larger belly than Marley. Now I know.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Pneumostome 2014-01-28, 23:14

Using tile is a great idea! I ended up using Akadama soil. They are like little soft pebbles. If my axolotl gets one in her mouth, it just turns to dust.

Part of my tank is also covered in cholla wood, which is easy for her to walk around on. Unlike other types of wood, it doesn't leech tannins which is helpful.

IMHO, I prefer substrate than a bare bottom set up. I've done both now and my axolotl seems to be able to get around much better with a substrate. You do have to be careful with what you use though!
Pneumostome
Pneumostome
Fry

http://www.natureinvinicble.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-01-28, 23:16

Pneumostome: I just realized, I think it would also be cute if you did some kind of axolotl drawing! Very Happy I realize that this should be in your other topic, but I figured that people might be like "..but wait, I thought this was about shrimp?" lol...

So, I figured I'd dodge any confusion between the two. Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Pneumostome 2014-01-28, 23:26

That's a great idea! Since axolotls are endangered, they could probably use some more awareness Very Happy
Pneumostome
Pneumostome
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-01-28, 23:31

Neato! Very Happy That's also a great thing, to spread awareness! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-01-29, 00:49

I just made John and I custom t-shirts (I'm doing an online photoshop class so learning how to muck about with stuff) with Chadette on them ... hard to tell how they will turn out till I have them in hand...crossing my fingers for a decent end result  Wink 
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Pneumostome 2014-01-29, 02:08

That's awesome! Definitely post some pics when they are finished! Smile
Pneumostome
Pneumostome
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-02-16, 12:12

Here's a quick video of Axl Rosalotl Smile He's gotten so much biggeeeeeeer!

Funniest thing I've seen our Axolotl do... Very Happy What a little piggy!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-06-08, 19:12

I'm surprised I haven't posted on here... I could've sworn I posted on here not too long ago... Hmm... well, anywho... Axl Rosalotl is now 9" in length, which is pretty good, considering I got him when he was about...2 months old at about 2", like 6 months ago... :DI can't wait to start breeding them! Very Happy

Pneumostome was so kind to rehome her axolotl to me so that Axl Rosalotl could have a mating partner :Dthank you so much! Mimi Monster will be so happy to be with another Axolotl, I think. I do want to fatten her up a bit, just so that she doesn't get squished by Axl Rosalotl. LOL.

Here they are, currently... Mimi Monster is in a 10 gallon tank for now, before I transfer her into the 40 gallon with Axl :3
Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) - Page 2 Unname13

Also, Axl Rosalotl likes yoga. Upward Facing Dog (or Axolotl! Hah!)
Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) - Page 2 Unname14
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2014-06-08, 19:29

I saw them at the swap and mentioned that you were looking for a female Smile Im glad it worked out
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-06-08, 19:33

Yay! Thanks Morgan Very Happy
Lori also mentioned that I was looking for a female axolotl, I'm so happy that there are others looking out for me! I feel so loved Smile

Thanks again you two (and anyone else who mentioned about my needing of a female axolotl!)
 I love you 
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2