Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien)

+12
MRTom
fishNAbowl
DMD123
Betty
LuminousAphid
KaraWolf
MorganEA
bronzefighter
MikeB
cichlid-gal
BillHN
PokeSephiroth
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) Empty Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien)

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-21, 23:14

This topic is for general Axolotl care, and what have you. I will start off with my little one.

So, I got my first ever axolotl from bronzefighter, and I've fallen in love with it! I can't believe I've never taken care of these amazing creatures before! Smile

It's currently about 3 1/2" long and it's the cutest thing I've seen! *squee!*

I'm starting to obsess over these things, and I wish I had more! Unfortunately, I only have a little 15 gallon tank, so I'm limited to just keeping one (No, I don't want to house more than one juvie axolotl in that tank, because they will eat eachothers limbs, no, I don't care if their limbs will grow back, it's still stress on them, so I'd rather just keep one.)

We've currently given it two names, if it turns out to be a female, we will call her Axelina Jolie. If it turns out to be a male, we call it Axel Rose. Cliche, yes, but catchy. Very Happy

Here are some pictures. Take note, that I replaced the huge pebbles with smooth sand, so that I don't have to worry about it choking on a rock. =P

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) 99555110

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) 14761110

It does have a slightly curled tail, which usually means it's stressing out, but I think it's just because I've been keeping him in the garage where temps go below 50*F... s/he's now inside our house, in an unheated tank, so hopefully s/he will recover and de-stress a bit. Very Happy

Anyone else taking care of Axolotls? Share your little critters on here! Stories, pictures, videos, anything! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) Empty Re: Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien)

Post  BillHN 2013-11-21, 23:24

Gravel = dead pet Sad
I highly recommend sand.
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) Empty Re: Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien)

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-21, 23:42

Bill: . . .. did you not read the entire post? lol

Here are some pictures. Take note, that I replaced the huge pebbles with smooth sand, so that I don't have to worry about it choking on a rock. =P

Anyway, I already knew about the gravel being an issue, that's why I used huge sized pebbles, so that I knew it wouldn't try to eat anything that could fit in its mouth. Seriously, those pebbles were as big, if not bigger than its entire head. But I already knew I was going to replace it with sand shortly after.

Last edited by PokeSephiroth on 2013-11-21, 23:43; edited 1 time in total
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-11-21, 23:43

I rarely read everything xD I just saw a picture of him with gravel xD
I apologize.
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-21, 23:44

XD I do the same thing on facebook, I make a comment on someone's photo, and then I fail to realize that there are like 20 other comments that may have already addressed the same thing I was going to type. LOL.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-11-22, 08:27

Congrats on your new wet pet Angelo.  Axolotls are awesome.

We have two Axolotls now housed in a 33G long tank.  We got our first one at the GSAS picnic over the summer...here's a picture of the little guy that came home with us...my grandson named him "Chad"

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) P1150210

This is the tank that we set up for Chad...we have since removed the slate piece on the far left as I didn't like the fact that I couldn't get it flat and I worried about stuff getting stuck underneath.

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) P1150110

We have also learned that "Chad" should be called "Chadette".  We just adopted a wild type male at the most recent GSAS auction.  I think we lucked out and he is sized appropriately and so far seems to be doing OK together.  

I do have some worries about the new male as his previous food was entirely raw chopped earthworms.  I feed carnivore pellets, fly pellets, and bloodworms.  I am pretty sure he is not eating any of those still so I'm waiting to see what transpires here.  Either he will get hungry enough to eat them or he may get sick.  My biggest worry is that he will try to eat a piece of Chadette in his hunger.  I'm thinking to put a piece of eggcrate in the tank but I haven't taken that step yet.  He still looks healthy and she is getting fat because she's eating more than she should.  It worries me.  I'm not sure how to handle this.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-11-22, 10:55

Yipee...the male ate today. I dropped the carnivore tablets in front of him and he "bit"...yah!
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-23, 02:47

EEEEEEEEEEe!!! So cute!! <3 thank you for sharing cichlid-gal!!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB 2013-11-23, 04:42

picture of some of my babbies

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) 1456725_730126060350519_1083861856_n

MikeB
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-11-23, 07:48

Look at all those babies...they are adorable.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-11-23, 20:05

OK...here are my guys...Chadette and Marley

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) P1170611

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) P1170613

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) P1170614
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-24, 04:17

So Adorable!! AHHHH!!!! I'm totally digging your tank, Donna! Cory and I were talking about Axolotls today, and he mentioned how you put tiles on your 33 gallon long, tank, and I was like "... omg that's genius!!"

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2013-11-24, 15:55

Glad you're enjoying him/her/it/the thing. The adult axolotl that I gave my mom is pretty cool, I almost wish I kept it. He was hand fed as a juvie, so he now associates fingers with a food source, and has latched onto the tip of my finger multiple times when I'm rescaping or cleaning her tank.
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-24, 16:21

OHHHH That's so cute!!! Very Happy
Got a question for ya though, I've noticed that the one you gave me has 4 whitish dots on its head...they look uniform, so I figured it's nothing wrong, but I just wanted to make sure. Maybe you know what they're there for?

Also, I think it's still a bit stressed, as the tip of its tail is still curved Sad . . . not sure what else I could be doing to make it destress...
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2013-11-24, 17:14

PokeSephiroth wrote:OHHHH That's so cute!!! Very Happy
Got a question for ya though, I've noticed that the one you gave me has 4 whitish dots on its head...they look uniform, so I figured it's nothing wrong, but I just wanted to make sure. Maybe you know what they're there for?

Also, I think it's still a bit stressed, as the tip of its tail is still curved Sad. . . not sure what else I could be doing to make it destress...
hmm I don't know. I know that they get pigment on their heads, as the adult I had got used to the new environment he started coloring up a bit and now has spots of pigment on his head and back that look like freckles or dirt.

As far as a curved tail I couldn't tell you. I'm sure someone else with more experience could help you on that, or you could check in at http://www.caudata.org/forum/.
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-24, 17:27

Thanks for the link bronzefighter! Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-11-24, 18:55

they look weird as babies but the adults are cute
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-11-24, 19:20

PokeSephiroth wrote:So Adorable!! AHHHH!!!! I'm totally digging your tank, Donna! Cory and I were talking about Axolotls today, and he mentioned how you put tiles on your 33 gallon long, tank, and I was like "... omg that's genius!!"

Thanks Angelo...the slate tiles fit perfectly other than right at the end I had like a 1/3rd inch overlap. I don't have a tile cutter so I removed the last one.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-24, 20:11

cichlid-gal:I'm surprised the place where you bought the tiles, didn't cut them for you... Hrmmm...

MorganEA: Am I missing something here? The babies and adults look the same to me. LOL
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-11-24, 21:15

Lol! the adults have filled out more and don't look so strange, the babies look like tadpoles.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-11-24, 22:05

PokeSephiroth wrote:cichlid-gal:I'm surprised the place where you bought the tiles, didn't cut them for you... Hrmmm...

MorganEA: Am I missing something here? The babies and adults look the same to me. LOL
I actually bought those tiles for another tank project and then didn't use them. So they were just sitting around and I decided to use them for this tank. I was really happy that they fit so well. So no complaints here.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-24, 23:35

Oh nice! Yeah, I had recently bought a 12 gallon long (Mr. Aqua) tank at Aquarium Co-Op, and figured I could put my axolotl in there for the time being. Then Cory mentioned how you placed yours in a 33 gallon long tank, which I kinda wish I had gotten instead, LOL... alas, I'm happy with my 12 long. Smile

I might have to go tile shopping soon! =P
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-25, 01:18

Here's a quick video of Axl Rosalotl/Axelina Jolie in her new 12 Gallon Long Tank:
(I seriously though s/he was going to go after the worm, but s/he ended up not eating it at all. Hahaha)
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-11-25, 08:30

Ha ha ha... she went into hiding. She looks good, no curled tail so you must have got that figured out. I know they don't like much current in the tank. I have a sponge filter over my output (I run a Fluval 306 on that 33G long and have cut a long sponge piece to act like a diffused spraybar). Works great.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KaraWolf 2013-11-25, 10:30

lol!!! Its like he/she was thinking it is worth my time? Hmmmm. You're watching me so so not even going to bother!!
KaraWolf
KaraWolf
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-25, 12:38

cichlid-gal: Huh... I thought that it was curled, because the veeeeeery tip of the tail (like the last 2 millimeters) is kinda curved in almost like a 90 degree angle.

I have a Penn Plax Cascade 300 Internal Filter, with a spray bar that's spraying water right up against the glass, to diffuse the strength of flow. Very Happy

KaraWolf: LOL!! I was actually tempted to make some kind of audio dialog with something similar to that, alas, my voice is not talented enough to make a voice that suits what I think axolotls sound like. HAHAHA!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-11-25, 13:15

oh...I see the curl now...not sure about that
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-25, 17:39

Here's a better video where you can see the "curled" tail... I'm starting to think that it may have just grown "wrong" and is permanently like that... although, I will keep a close eye on him/her Smile

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2013-11-26, 01:18

That's a pretty good possibility! The adult my mom has only has 3 toes on one foot, and due to the 'fluidity' of their genetics (growing back limbs, organs, etc) things like missing or extra limbs isn't uncommon.
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-11-26, 15:59

I saw one of these for the first time last week at Denny's in Totem Lake, and I sort of want to get one... although I would like to start from a baby and not an adult, so if anyone has extra babies at any point, I will totally buy one! Very Happy They are very cute looking

Also, do they breed in captivity? I guess I assumed so with that picture of all the babies
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-11-26, 20:29

Very cute! I looked into axolotls a few years ago, but I didn't think I would be able to keep the water cool enough for them in the summertime. My house gets quite warm during those months.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-26, 23:52

LuminousAphid: I'm pretty sure they've been bred in captivity. There are tons of youtube videos on how to breed them, and showing the eggs hatching and whatnot. Very Happy

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-11-27, 00:00

Ive consider keeping these, but in the end the bichir fever hit. Maybe in my next tank.... I might try out some of these.

Very cool little alien Poke! alien 
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-11-27, 01:22

DMD123: Oh man, I am SOOOO tempted to try my hands on keeping a Bichir, but I don't want to keep it in a 55 gallon tank. :\ . . . someday, I will keep one in a large large laaaaaaaarge tank. Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-12-02, 02:40

My Axolotl no longer has a curved tail! WHOOPEEE!!! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-12-02, 03:44

These are awesome little critters. Glad he's settled in Poke!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-12-02, 03:54

I wanna spoil him rotten! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2013-12-02, 04:13

Do post pics of the straightened Axelina Jolie Smile
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-12-02, 06:03

MRTom: I'll do you one even better! Smile Video! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  MRTom 2013-12-02, 06:42

daawww... too cute! cheers 
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Pneumostome 2014-01-21, 22:15

cichlid-gal wrote:OK...here are my guys...Chadette and Marley

How big are these guys? They look absolutely enormous!!!
Pneumostome
Pneumostome
Fry

http://www.natureinvinicble.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-01-21, 22:45

Pneumostome wrote:
cichlid-gal wrote:OK...here are my guys...Chadette and Marley

How big are these guys?  They look absolutely enormous!!!

They are probably about 9" each now....Chadette just wouldn't turn around and pose for the photo shoot...sorry

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) DSC_0489_zps2088da45

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) DSC_0495_zps40920f3a
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-01-21, 22:48

Whoa, I did t realize that there was a heater in there. What's the water temp in there?
I'm struggling to keep the water in my tank below 65*f...its currently around 68-70*f
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-01-21, 23:31

I think that 68-70 is OK Angelo at least from my readings. My temp is 69.5 or around there. Our house is 68 degrees during the day and 65 at night so sometimes the heater will kick on.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) Empty pics of my babies

Post  MikeB 2014-01-22, 01:34

Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) 1470240_730125927017199_498276417_n
Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) 1456725_730126060350519_1083861856_n
Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) 1470147_730125770350548_1764538990_n

Yeah keeping these guys is a lot of fun and if anyone wants to know how to breed or interested in babies I spawn them from time to time...

MikeB
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-01-22, 01:43

Oooh, interesting! I'm glad that they can do well in those temps. I do have some backup frozen water bottles in the freezer in case the water gets too warm in his tank (might become a problem once summer hits, but at least I'm ready for it. LOL!)

I recently added a little feeding dish in Axl Rosalotl's tank, to prevent *most* of the mess from spreading around in the tank, and it seems to really keep the food in place! It's great for live blackworms, that way they don't burrow into the sand or any decor, and they all stay in the same place, just waiting to be eaten.

I'm happy to say, that Axl Rosalotl has finally discovered the food dish! Very Happy

I still enjoy hand feeding him, that's for sure Very Happy
Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) Photo_21
Axolotls! (PokeSepiroth's Little Aquatic Alien) Photo_22
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeB 2014-01-22, 03:39

if you raise the eggs warm and hatch them warm and keep them warm then you wont have issues with them in the summer weird thing though and it should matter but I don't get 50/50 sexing that way but sure pays off in the long run.. ive had guys at 80+ for more than a week no issues and yes the water bottle trick is awesome for summer months especially if you normaly keep them cooler..

MikeB
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-01-22, 09:46

I have to hand feed Marley...he just won't hunt down food...silly lotl. Now Chadette...she's an eater...no problems there. She will find any leftovers in the tank and clean them up for me. But I do watch for uneaten foods and siphon them out right away if they are not eaten in short order so their water doesn't foul.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter 2014-01-22, 16:46

Wow, he's grown so much!
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2014-01-22, 17:15

Indeed he has! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next