A recommended way to kill ALGAE ... anyone tried this?

4 posters

Go down

A recommended way to kill ALGAE ... anyone tried this? Empty A recommended way to kill ALGAE ... anyone tried this?

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-10-29, 09:01

I was just watching this video about spraying a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution to kill algae in planted tanks.  I see a little bit starting in my new tank.  I have just been picking it out for now but wondered if there were methods of attack.  Anyway...looks like this works pretty well (and he does say don't spray as much as he did...he was doing some of that for the video)

cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

A recommended way to kill ALGAE ... anyone tried this? Empty Re: A recommended way to kill ALGAE ... anyone tried this?

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-29, 09:28

Oh? Hmmmm- I got a small tank with issues, think I'll give his a shot. I'll get back to you...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

A recommended way to kill ALGAE ... anyone tried this? Empty Re: A recommended way to kill ALGAE ... anyone tried this?

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-10-29, 09:32

The last commentor asked about whether it would kill shrimp also...the videographer said it could. Just an FYI if you have shrimp in that tank. I don't have any shrimp so I too might give it a try.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-29, 09:35

Oh, okay.. Thank you. The tank I will try 1st does not have shrimp but that's good to know because another I was thinking about trying this on does have Amanio shrimp. If this works in my 30 gallon I will probably move to my 9.5 but just take it slower...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anderson_p_r 2013-10-29, 12:26

I have used straight H2O2 in my planted 10g RCS tank with excellent results. I was hesitant at first but now I do it regularly. I use a 10cc syringe with about 4" of air line on the tip. Turn off the filter a few minutes before applying to make sure the water currents are still. A little goes a long way, but I've heard not to exceed 3mL/g of tank water. That being said I've never needed to use more than 1.5mL/g. Apply slowly with the tip in direct contact with the algae and move slowly so as not to make a current that would carry the H2O2 away. Very quickly you should see the algae begin to oxidize. I leave it that way for about 5min or so. The shrimp walk through the bubbles and occasionally start to float up but I haven't lost any because of it.

Now for a bad joke:
Two guys walk into a bar
The first guy orders a H2O
The second guy orders a H2O too.
The second guy dies.
anderson_p_r
anderson_p_r

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-10-29, 12:56

Ha ha...i get it... (H2O2)... lol! 
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-10-29, 17:00

I have used H2O2 as a dip on plants that were removed from the tank to kill algae, but I too have been hesitant to actually put it in the water. I will be interested to see how this does for people; although my main problem recently has been BGA and not true algae. I don't know if this would work for BGA?
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down