my october fish pictures (american, african, and dwarf cichlids)

+3
MRTom
cichlid-gal
lloyd378
7 posters

Go down

my october fish pictures (american, african, and dwarf cichlids) Empty my october fish pictures (american, african, and dwarf cichlids)

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-19, 01:32

my current and only hybrid project..... trying for an orange isletas. they laid eggs tonight
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
africans
my lonely male jag
my umbee dexter w/ hana and fry
my 56 cubed tankmates
my teenaged tank (front really dirty from last waterchange last weekend and with me being lazy on the glass cleaning
my planted dwarf cichlid tank

I'll take a few more pics this weekend..... didn't quite get all of my fish (maybe 75%)
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

my october fish pictures (american, african, and dwarf cichlids) Empty Re: my october fish pictures (american, african, and dwarf cichlids)

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-10-19, 07:32

Wow Lloyd...that's a lota beautiful fish Smile You have some great looking ones and lots of variety (even a couple of stunning betas in mix). Thanks for sharing
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

my october fish pictures (american, african, and dwarf cichlids) Empty Re: my october fish pictures (american, african, and dwarf cichlids)

Post  MRTom 2013-10-19, 08:12

Wow, that crowntail is amazing!
MRTom
MRTom
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-19, 09:44

Thanks, the betta is really hard to take pictures of..... I will need to get a picture of my sons too, it's a beautiful red one with three females to keep it company. both males love the very top of the tank, which screws up the flash . Lol. Need to move mine to a small tank I have set up in my classroom, as I am Hoping to get a couple of the strawberry ones!

I also need a better tank for the Africans as the plexiglass front is all sorts of messed up. But I guess it doesn't matter as majority of them are going to a show tank my father in law just set up, and a few more are going to be traded away this Sunday, for a large breeding pair of American cichlids.....
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-10-19, 11:50

Looking good! I really like how the planted tank is turning out.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-19, 15:42

I'm really liking it too! It's like a hide and seek game every night.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-10-19, 15:44

Dear gawds, look at that isletas!!!! Shocked 

Get that beauty a real mate please!!! That color needs to be available for people!!!
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-19, 18:34

Love the pictures lloyd378, you got a whole collection of beautiful fish.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-10-19, 20:16

Looking great Lloyd.  Very nice assortment.  Not sure about the hybrid idea though. Suspect jocolor jocolor jocolor 

dwarfpike wrote:Dear gawds, look at that isletas!!!! Shocked 

Get that beauty a real mate please!!! That color needs to be available for people!!!
You want Red Isletas?  I have tons, and her mom is just as pink just not as big, and dad is a beast  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-10-19, 20:20

It was more a pc way of objecting to the H-word plan. Cool 
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-10-19, 20:21

dwarfpike wrote:It was more a pc way of objecting to the H-word plan. Cool 
Si. Cool  He knows though, he hears it from me, you can be blunt. whistle whistle whistle 
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-10-19, 20:24

lloyd378 wrote:
my umbee dexter w/ hana and fry

scratch  Where is Hana?  scratch Better yet, where are the kids? scratch 
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-10-19, 20:26

Madness wrote:Si. Cool   He knows though, he hears it from me, you can be blunt. whistle whistle whistle 
No way, my bluntness on the subject would get me banned. boxing 
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-19, 22:02

Haha. I will show you my one and only hybrid plan outcome in a few.....

Hana is hiding next to the substrate in the lat pic, she blends in with her spawning colors. The fry were all hiding as Hana forced them under the log when I came out with the strange object(camera) and put it near them.

Stand by for hybrid picture!!!!

And definitely get some from madness, that's where I got my lovely young lady!!!!!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-19, 22:13

this is not my picture, i repeat, this is not my picture.... but this is from a guy that shared it with me. it is the result of a midas dad and a red isletas mom..... lucky for me, i had a wc midas male, and an F1 female red isletas from madness....
tell me this isn't a cool fish, and I will call you a liar. hahahaha

lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-19, 22:15

thanks fishnbowl
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-10-19, 22:15

Sorry, a creamsicle looking convict doesn't do anything to me ... the female is WAY better looking than that!!! and I don't even like the color red!!! Cool And no, I'm not lying. Sad 
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-19, 22:22

dwarfpike wrote:Sorry, a creamsicle looking convict doesn't do anything to me ... the female is WAY better looking than that!!! and I don't even like the color red!!! Cool And no, I'm not lying. Sad 
you'll change your tune, once I give you one of my beautiful fry! though they will need a slightly larger tank than the common convict!

on a separate note, guessing by your name that you are into dwarfs pikes..... have you ever wanted full sized ones? our lfs has two beautiful pikes (around 12 inches) that have the most intense colors i have ever seen on pike.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-10-19, 22:31

No thanks, I'll never knowingly own a H-word. I can't even say it. *shudders*

If/when I get a large enough tank, I'd love some of the big pike cichlids ... cinctas, lents, or marms ... just takes a huge tank. Cinctas can hit 16" SL.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-10-19, 22:39

dwarfpike wrote:Sorry, a creamsicle looking convict doesn't do anything to me ... the female is WAY better looking than that!!! and I don't even like the color red!!! Cool And no, I'm not lying. Sad 
 haha haha haha haha
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-10-19, 22:40

Sorry, I had to laugh, it so looks like one. LOL
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-10-19, 22:43

See, I need a filter on this subject ... hence why I try to be more PC about it.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-19, 23:01

Madness wrote:
 haha haha haha haha
When I become, world renowned for my contribution to the hobby, I will be the type to throw it back in your faces.  Lol!!!! (Yes, I can be childish if i need to be, haha)

And madness, you are a hybrid fan,  aka red Texas!?!

Dwarf pike no offense taken. Everyone has personal tastes. No one can argue that!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-10-19, 23:02

Good, because that female is one of the best istelas I've seen ...
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-19, 23:04

And hybrids are found it the wild too! Anytime a river floods into another body of water etc..... That's why scientist are always discovering new species of fish!   It's just genetic evolution and adaption.   Haha, or at least that's what I'm choosing to believe!

But to get this straight, I have you both down for my first five orange isletas( 5 to each) I've got that right, don't i?

Last edited by lloyd378 on 2013-10-19, 23:06; edited 1 time in total
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-19, 23:06

dwarfpike wrote:Good, because that female is one of the best istelas I've seen ...
I think so too! If I had a male from another set of parents I might try that too, but I worry about the inbreeding thing
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-10-19, 23:10

Inbreeding isn't as much of an issue with fish as people think, it takes a loooooooooong time before defects start showing up with regularity.

Keep in mind fish not crossing breeding in nature is one of the ways scientists distinguish species when describing them. That's the only reason pasionis are not a meeki after all.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-20, 00:55

I agree that not cross breeding in nature does make it easier for scientist to determine/distinguish species.  However, I tend to believe that all fish have  crossbred (hybridized ) at some point in history, maybe/probably even before scientist were invented.....  that is why species that differ from each other  but still carry some common characteristics are still under the same "genus".   Species differ from one another for many reasons (climate, water conditions, available food sources, protection, and also from "ho"ing around with other species.)  As we do not live in lakes and rivers, we (and also the scientist studying our fish) can only hypothesize about why fish look the way they do and act the way that they do.  Science can not actually prove anything, it can just disprove everything else. Hybridization, while not a typical everyday occurrence in nature does happen more than we realize but only when the right conditions present themselves.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-10-20, 01:00

DNA testing would disagree. But let's not derail your nice photo thread further. cheers

Though DNA is rough ... look up a Retroculus pic and tell me how it's a close peacock bass relative and not even closely related to Geos ... (yes yes, I know about convergent evolution, but really, look at the pic!!!))
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-20, 01:17

haha, there's no derailing here. just a great debate. We will get back to pictures in a minute. DNA testing is great, I wholeheartedly believe in it, and studied it in my minor in college. (I worked with the chimps at CWU.) We wouldn't have different types of fish with slightly differing DNAs without crossbreeding. If i saw a study that showed that fish had zero DNA in common, but were under the same family or genus than I would agree. But from what I have studied, species that share the same genus also share a majority of the same dna, sometimes as high as 99 percent. (after rereading what I just wrote, i am not sure if i explained it correctly. sorry for that)

Thanks again for the great debate! I also look forward to seeing a thread of your fish..... there just isn't enough pictures on here lately!!!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-10-20, 01:23

I get where you were going. And yes, fish share most of the same DNA when in the same genus, but you can find the strains where they haven't crossed so it's explained by scientists. Shifty folks them though. I just find it telling that very closely related species won't cross breed in nature when found together in the same river, yet a different two will when man gets involved (carpentis xbreeding with labriens once that stupid canal was opened up to Media Luna for instance).

I finally joined this decade and got a smartphone, so once I figure out how to stop arguing with it and work the camera, I'll try to update my thread for you. I'm on wigglers yet again. Fraking rabbitfish acaras are.
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-10-20, 01:26

awesome! congrats on the wigglers!

cell phone shots from right now..... can't stop destiny Drinking 

lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down