Removing alpha male guppy from group- new alpha male growth?

4 posters

Go down

Removing alpha male guppy from group- new alpha male growth? Empty Removing alpha male guppy from group- new alpha male growth?

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-10-16, 20:03

Hello everyone, so I have a situation here that I think I understand, but I want to make sure it will go the way I'm thinking it will

I have been keeping guppies in my 10 gallon tank for a couple months now, and the main group of adults has gotten fairly used to each other, and for the most part don't hassle each other too much anymore. The exception is the "alpha" male guppy, who has a big flashy colorful tail and a gun metal-type body, who is obviously the boss. He sometimes displays a lot to the biggest female, but lately he has begun chasing her around and doing the male guppy thing, but doing it constantly, every time I look at them. I didn't really like this, as it seemed like the big female was stressed out by his constant harassment.

So, I have removed the male to my 20 gallon tank, which has similar water and everything, but doesn't have any guppies for him to harass. Now that he is in with some unfamiliar fish, he has of course calmed down, but still seems to be doing ok, not too stressed or anything. There are only other small fish in that tank. He seems to be leaving them alone, and vice versa.

So, now that I have taken him away from the main group, I think the next male in line has stepped up to become the alpha (which is what I was hoping, I like his coloring better anyway). Before now, he has been nicely colored, but his tail and dorsal fins have been very small and short. What is really surprising is that within even a couple days, I can tell that his coloring is getting brighter, and his tail seems to be getting longer- there are even spots showing on his tail finnage that I didn't see before now. It could be my imagination, but I don't think it is... I wish I had pictures of before and after to make sure

I'm assuming that he is going to successfully take over the role of alpha male, because the other males are significantly younger, but will he continue to look more like your traditional male guppy (with the long, wide tail and big dorsal fin) as he adapts to his position in the group? I didn't really expect even the amount of change in him I have seen so far, so lets hope it continues, it's awesome!

p.s. anyone want baby guppies? guppypocalypse is almost underway, so I need to get rid of some of the babies and juveniles sometime soon... maybe I will move some of them to the 20 gallon
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Removing alpha male guppy from group- new alpha male growth? Empty Re: Removing alpha male guppy from group- new alpha male growth?

Post  pbmax 2013-10-16, 23:19

That's fascinating Smile Brighter coloration I'd expect, but the shape changing is neat.

Photos!?
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Removing alpha male guppy from group- new alpha male growth? Empty Re: Removing alpha male guppy from group- new alpha male growth?

Post  DrakeAquatics 2013-10-17, 01:25

I agree put up some pics Smile
DrakeAquatics
DrakeAquatics
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-10-18, 12:54

I will try and get some pics of him today, I can't tell if it's actually growth or maybe he's just showing off more? Like I said, I wish I had before and after, but I will try to at least get a pic of him today or tonight. It's hard to get good pics of them, because I have their tank out in the greenhouse, and there is a lot of glare out there.
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-10-18, 14:53

Guppies are just hard to get good pics of. I started resorting to taking a video and then frame skipping for the best pic. Not as clear as a still photo, but easier to get. Very Happy

And I never heard of guppy dominancy, though I know with other fish I bred (gouramis, bettas, cichlids) they all establish a pecking order and two or three grow much faster than the others.

Though for guppies I know that the smaller, uglier males tend to attack the prettier full tailed males. Tiger endlers, cobra, lyretail (the ugly feeder worthy ones) are the ones I usually see the most fin nipping from. I had a full tail cobra that looked gorgeous, but there was still a better looking male than him and the chase/nipping was pretty aggressive. This was observed in both an all male tank and a 30gal breeder tank with 1m:3f ratio
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-10-18, 21:51

Yeah I should have clarified in the first post, I only have a small-ish group of adult guppies (there are more and more babies out there every time i look, it seems like) so there was a definite pecking order. Also I had the dominant male first, and he was the only male, then I got the other because he looked nice along with a couple extra females. At first I thought the new one was just young, but he never grew bigger fins or anything... until now! I'm pretty sure I'm not just seeing things at this point, his tail is definitely growing longer and is more transparent near the end, and his body seems to be getting more shiny.

I will get the light out there later tonight and try to get a decent pic of him showing off, which he has started doing to the big female
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down