can i feed my african cichlids fresh salmon?

+3
hobbyorobsession
anthony
fishyladdy
7 posters

Go down

can i feed my african cichlids fresh salmon? Empty can i feed my african cichlids fresh salmon?

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-14, 18:20

I'm talking about it beingg cooked first too. But would it be to high in proten for them or would it be ok. I've been fishing and catching pinks all week and me fridge and freezer is full of salmon so I was gonna cook up a little bit for thembut wanted to make sure it was ok first.
Thanks Smile
Fishyladdy
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

can i feed my african cichlids fresh salmon? Empty Re: can i feed my african cichlids fresh salmon?

Post  anthony 2013-09-14, 19:52

I feed my fish Talapia,rockfish,shrimp,squid. A lot of African cichlids like algae based foods but using a little salmon to give them a little protein should not hurt. Also it depends if they like it or not. Most fish foods list fish meal as the big ingredient that statement could mean ground up whatever fish leftovers are purchased in bulk that week. Just make sure If your fish are the kind that like a lot of algae in their diet your not giving them salmon for the next six months and you only use it for a treat once and awhile
anthony
anthony
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

can i feed my african cichlids fresh salmon? Empty Re: can i feed my african cichlids fresh salmon?

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-09-14, 20:09

you can feed it to your fish, however its a rich protein food source so a treat now and again with it would be just fine
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-09-14, 22:30

i personally wouldnt. many species of africans are not actually carnivores and will not benefit from such a feeding, now why you havent smoked up all that salmon is beyond me. sqaw candy is ftw Razz
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2013-09-14, 22:53

I would say no, not worth the chance. But then I think pigs eat bacon?

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anthony 2013-09-15, 01:27

I would say it is safe but not a great choice for your fish because a lot of African cichlids eat the algae off rocks. If you look at fish food there is a lot of stuff you fish would never eat in the wild such as corn, wheat flour ,gluten meal ect., ect., One thing they would eat is small fish and inverts. Even though they would not eat salmon chances are the fish meal in fish foods can contain any kind of fish. If they are rock cichlids I can't imagine a once or twice a week treat would do any harm.
anthony
anthony
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2013-09-15, 12:39

I would feed salmon sparingly as it is a very oily fish as compared to trout, tilapia, etc.
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-15, 17:36

oh guys. well i guess ill just feed some to my cat lol
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-09-15, 18:06

Why feed it to the fish and cat? Give it to me, ill see to it that it gets eaten. Smile
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-15, 18:24

Because one ur to far away and two my freezer is completely full and I don't like salmon
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-09-15, 19:40

okay so i know nobody wants to do this but im going to, if you like catching salmon so much but dont like eatting them... then why not throw them back? really erks me to see people misusing such a wonderful resource. its = to poaching if you ask me. long story short dont bring home fish your not willing to eat, leave em for the next guy. anyways have a good day!
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-15, 21:06

well we are gonna end up smoking them all. but just not at this moment we cant. so im trying to make a little bit of freezer space for food we can eat now thanks for ur input
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down