Are Cory cats ok in a newly planted tank?

5 posters

Go down

Are Cory cats ok in a newly planted tank? Empty Are Cory cats ok in a newly planted tank?

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-09, 22:36

The reason I ask is because I came home to find a plant uprooted and a branch of another plant( a little larger) broken off and stuck to my filter...... I doubt it's the shrimp or the micro 1" long fin bristlenose so I was guessing its one of my emerald Cory cats.

Do you think that by having them live with cichlids for the last year that they inherited the trait of plant thrashing? The larger plant is tied to a piece of wood with fishing wire, and the uprooted plant was stuck in the gravel...... Maybe I just need some more mature (larger) plants?
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Are Cory cats ok in a newly planted tank? Empty Re: Are Cory cats ok in a newly planted tank?

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2013-09-09, 22:50

Hi lloyd378,

It is doubtful the cory actually broke a branch, I've never had it happen with any of my corys or plants. I have damaged plants during planting and a cory knocks the already broken stem loose. Corys do like to root around on the substrate, if I don't plant a stem or plant deep enough they can knock it loose.

-Roy
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Are Cory cats ok in a newly planted tank? Empty Re: Are Cory cats ok in a newly planted tank?

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-09-09, 22:58

its probably your pleco, they can sometimes lounge on leafs and damage them
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-09, 23:19

Sometimes easier to give answers if there is  a picture. Does the new plant that was "uprooted" have roots? Or just a stem? If the plant has a large root system I would guess maybe wasn't planted deep enough. If no roots, it probably just worked itself out of the substrate from either the flow of moving water or just wasn't pushed into the substrate deep enough. I do not think that your fish ripped out the plant but its possible for Cory cats to bump into, ruffle around, and jar a new plant loose. These are some of the wonders of a planted tank, you are not alone Smile

Who knows about the broken stem/branch... This could be due to a couple factors. Perhaps the branch was already slightly broken & you didn't notice? Sometimes plants melt or go into shock when moved. The noticeable trait to this would be the stem or plant becoming transparent in the area where it's dying/melting. This could also happen at the base of a stem plant after you stick it into the substrate hence giving the effect the plant was tore out...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-09, 23:30

Thanks for the info guys! I never thought about water flow.... Are two aqua clear 70s too strong for a 40g planted tank?
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-10, 00:22

lloyd378 wrote:Thanks for the info guys! I never thought about water flow.... Are two aqua clear 70s too strong for a 40g planted tank?
Maybe able to get away with it with the flow turned all the way down on both filters, but yes the flow maybe a bit excessive. They are rated for UPTO 70 gallons EACH. Best thing to do would be to watch the plants. If they are all swaying  to and fro excessively you may have to disconnect 1. Then assess where flow is falling into the tank and how the water is swirling around. You will probably find it hard to plant some plants under the water return. A stout plant like Anubias attached to bog wood would work well under the water return area. Then background stem plans should do okay on either side...
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-09-10, 00:35

You could always add a baffle if you think the flow is too strong.

Not my video but is the one I used for my betta tank
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-09-10, 00:42

MorganEA wrote:You could always add a baffle if you think the flow is too strong. Not my video but is the one I used for my betta tank
Neat modification. Spot On 

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-10, 00:43

MorganEA wrote:You could always add a baffle if you think the flow is too strong.
This is really cool MorganEA, I too am having flow issues in a 30 gallon using 1 Aquaclear 70. I am totally going to try this. Thanks for sharing!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down