LuminousAphid
lloyd378
fishNAbowl
Nick_87
hobbyorobsession
25 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

::Plant it forward :: a RAOK like post Empty ::Plant it forward :: a RAOK like post

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-09-03, 13:07

Similar to RAOK (random act of kindness) you may find on other forums.

rules of :: Plant if forward.

A member must post what plants they have to (Plant It Forward) for another member.

Another member must accept those plants as is and offer plants up for another member.

:example: I (Daniel) would offer up a portion of baby tears. shipping to be paid by me to anywhere in Washington.

Another member (Bill) says hey I will take those plants ( sends me a private message and exchanges shipping info) I send out the plants at my cost.

(Bill) then posts I have a portion of java fern available.

Member (Jim) post I would like some your java fern..(he contacts Bill), Bill sends plants..

Jim is then obligated to post plants he is willing to send to another member at his cost.

fairly simple in format.

Please do not jump posts and offer plants until someone accepts the last item offered.

Accept plants as is and don't ask to modify the offer publicly. Portion size is determined by the person offering plants, and quality is at their discretion. But do your best to send out plants in a condition you would like to receive them in.

Don't post your shipping address to the main forum.

If plants are offered for an extended period of time with out being claimed we may adjust the offering as we see fit.

ill offer ludwigia repens and some red root floaters to start this off.

Anyone who wants this portion of plants must post that they claim my plant, and message me with their address, Then subsequently offer up plants to the next person.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

::Plant it forward :: a RAOK like post Empty Re: ::Plant it forward :: a RAOK like post

Post  Nick_87 2013-09-03, 13:35

I hereby claim this in the name of WFB great ideas! PM'd
Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

::Plant it forward :: a RAOK like post Empty Re: ::Plant it forward :: a RAOK like post

Post  Nick_87 2013-09-03, 13:54

I am offering up Java Fern, Water Sprite and one surprise to make this even more exciting.

Nick_87
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-09-05, 14:00

Plants are in the mail. thanks for participating Nick.. now someone please claim his plants and lets make this take off.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-05, 23:11

Daniel,

This is very interesting. I have never sent fish, plants in the mail/UPS, (or however). I am interested in "paying it forward" if someone could take the time to explain the process of shipping WET things.

How to ship a plant successfully?
Best carrier?
Price range of shipping ?

Thanks!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-09-05, 23:25

id be more than happy to explain how to shipping plants.

First I use usps.  They offer a lot of online tools that makes it fairly easy.  They will send you boxes, and pick up your items for free.  You can print your own postage on there web site.  Generally for a small flat rate box it cost $5.15 if postage is purchased online.  Prices go up from there depending on the size of the package.

I bag my plant with poly tubing and an impulse sealer.  However this is over kill.  You can simply place your plants in a zip lock bag, and its always a good idea to tape the top of the bag so there are no accidental leaks.  Some people like to place a damp piece of newspaper or paper towel around the plants to keep them moist..  You do not need to ship plants out in a bag with water in it (unless they are a few specific plants).  Your plants just need to have some humidity. So generally the water left on the plants from taking it out of the tank is sufficient.   Most plants hold up very well for about 5 days shipping .

my routine is to print out the postage, tape it to the box,  bag up my plants and schedule a pick up from usps for the following day. and im done.  

takes me no more than 5 mins to be ready to ship.

any other specific questions please feel free to ask.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-05, 23:40

Daniel,

This is great, thank you.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-05, 23:48

I wish I had plants so I could participate! Great idea.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-05, 23:57

lloyd378 wrote:I wish I had plants so I could participate! Great idea.  
Could you not take nick_87's offer then offer one of the 3 plants he's going to ship you & "pay it forward"? Sounds like a great way to git some plants. Probably would still be cheaper than going to PetSmart and purchasing 2 @ $5-10 each, and more fun Smile
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  LuminousAphid 2013-09-06, 16:45

fishNAbowl wrote:
Could you not take nick_87's offer then offer one of the 3 plants he's going to ship you & "pay it forward"? Sounds like a great way to git some plants. Probably would still be cheaper than going to PetSmart and purchasing 2 @ $5-10 each, and more fun Smile
Don't buy plants at petsmart.... come to Aquarium Co-Op in Edmonds, better plants at better prices
LuminousAphid
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-09-06, 16:48

Also you can source your plants here just post a wtb ad
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-06, 17:07

LuminousAphid wrote:
Don't buy plants at petsmart.... come to Aquarium Co-Op in Edmonds, better plants at better prices
Well, I was trying to kick lloyd378 in the butt to get him to play :)He says he wishes he had plants perhaps my suggestion would get him on his way to having some. Lol
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-09-07, 04:02

This is a great idea! Nick, I may have to take those plants from you if no one else has by next week when I come to get those convicts. I have a few plant types I could scrounge up. Very Happy
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-09-14, 20:15

Ok so it looks like no one has claimed Nick_87's plants. Would anyone else like to offer something in it's place? If not, I will offer another assortment of plants tomorrow afternoon.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-09-15, 20:38

ok to try to keep this going I will offer some new plants: up for grabs are lobelia cardinalis, ludwigia repens, ludwigia red/ , alternanthera reineckii roseafolia, hygrophila sp bold, and glossostigma elatinoides as much of these that will fit in a flat rate box.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nick_76 2013-09-15, 20:55

Lloyd, next time I thin my tanks, ill give you what I got....generally it isn't anything special or exotic- but when I do get rid of stuff theres a lot of it. then u can be in the plant it forward circle

I got my start from some clippings from some guy in burien- from those first few plants, im curious how many tanks that culture can spread to...I think its up to my two tanks and I think 4 fishboxers? don't know how many tanks they put em in or if they passed any on
nick_76
nick_76

Back to top Go down

Post  nick_76 2013-09-15, 20:59

LuminousAphid wrote:
fishNAbowl wrote:
im all for supporting businesses that serve this community....but when you try to sell the idea based on prices, have you seen where hes located? gas& time spent on the road aint cheap....hes better off going to one of the southern LFSs...its a false economy to drive up to the co-op from Tacoma to save a few bux on a plant

that being said, petsmarts plants are pretty overpriced and I have yet to see a plant at petco that I felt like buying
nick_76
nick_76

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-09-15, 21:49

Just a FYI. I ship Plants. 2 boxes of plants going out tomorrow in fact. Don't always have to drive here. Lots of people enjoy my fish and plants around the country.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-09-15, 22:28

Petsmart's plants are really nice these days - the top fin tissue culture plants are pretty high quality and they have an amazing shelf life (good for slackers like me who still haven't planted theirs 2 weeks after purchasing...). I don't know of any other place that sells TC plants like those; I've had really good results with them too.

That said, yes, they're spendy. But they're a good impulse buy, especially when a certain aquarium shop is at the wrong end of puget sound.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-09-15, 22:35

At some point in time I hope to have some plants to share in this thread. I think its a great idea and only wish I had some plants that actually grew and multiplied. Where oh where is my planted tank? I want one so bad.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nick_76 2013-09-15, 23:20

im not trying to take the wind out of your sails, cory- its just I know theres closer alternatives to Lloyd than co-op, even if they are not active on this list.
personally I like to see what im buying, but for some I know ordering plants, livestock, et cetera by mail works for them
nick_76
nick_76

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-15, 23:47

Alright folks, this topic is slowly derailing, so I am here to put this topic back on track. Please, let's try to stay on topic. Thank you. whistle 

The last offer that's up for grabs is Nick_87's plants which are, Java Fern, Water Sprite, and Something Random.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  nick_76 2013-09-16, 00:36

damn, officer fishbox lays down the law!
nick_76
nick_76

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-16, 01:00

nick_76: They don't call me Officer Fishbox for nothing! *cracks fire whip* WHAAPAASH!!! nanana nanana nanana 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

That being said, you should totally get Nick's offer. Do iiiit... come on, do iiiiiiiiit... Plant it forward! Very Happy!!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-09-16, 19:58

hobbyorobsession wrote:ok to try to keep this going I will offer some new plants:  up for grabs are lobelia cardinalis, ludwigia repens, ludwigia red/ ,  alternanthera reineckii roseafolia,  hygrophila sp bold, and glossostigma elatinoides as much of these that will fit in a flat rate box.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-16, 20:27

hobbyorobsession: I would gladly take up this offer Very Happy I will re-edit this message, to put up what plants I will be planting forward.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-09-16, 20:47

are you working tomorrow at the co-op I will deliver
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-16, 22:19

hobbyorobsession: I am not, unfortunately. I will be working on Wednesday and Friday this week. You could drop off the plants with Cory and he could possibly save them for me, just let him know that it's for me, from the Plant it Forward topic, if you still plan on going tomorrow.

But if you go Wednesday, I will be there from opening till closing (12noon till 8pm)

Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-16, 22:31

Once I have received hobbyorobsession's plants, I will be offering up:

1 bunch of Stargrass
1 bunch of Sunset Hygro
1 bunch of Elodea (Elodea Canadensis, the legal one)
1 portion of Riccia
1 portion of Java Moss
2 Amazon Sword Plantlets (small)
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-16, 22:33

PokeSephiroth wrote:Once I have received hobbyorobsession's plants, I will be offering up:

1 bunch of Stargrass
1 bunch of Sunset Hygro
1 portion of Riccia
1 portion of Java Moss

PM SENT
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-09-16, 22:36

ill drop them off Wednesday then
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-16, 22:43

hobbyorobsession: Awesome, thanks!! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-19, 02:59

Plants have been received from hobbyorobsession. Thank you so much! It was so nice to put a face to the fishbox name! I can't believe I never knew YOU were hobbyorobsession. Hahaha!! Good to know =P

I will be passing on my plants onto fishNAbowl, on Friday/Saturday, and then he will take it from there. Plant it Forward!

fishNAbowl, you will be receiving the following plants:
1 bunch of Stargrass
1 bunch of Sunset Hygro
1 portion of Riccia
1 portion of Java Moss
* Additional plants:
The plants I received from hobbyorobsession, are so nice looking, I will also include some of his plants into this bundle. Smile

-I'm going to bring the plants into the store tomorrow, you can pick them up whenever it is convenient for you, during store hours. Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-21, 19:07

So, I have received my plants from PokeSephiroth.

Here is a list of the plants I am offering.

Bolbitis heudelotii (2 starts -separated rhizome, @ lest 2 leaves)
Anubias nana (med/large, has 2 flowers currently)
Java fern (starts)

Here are photos of the hosting plants.

Whole plant Anubias
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Host plant Bolbitis heudeloti
Host plant Java fern
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony J. 2013-09-22, 20:56

Hobby, or nick, whichever you guys prefer, I will take you up on your offer. Who should I pm?

::EDIT:: I only saw the first page, but, I will look at whoever is next and send them a pm Smile

Last edited by Anthony J. on 2013-09-22, 21:21; edited 1 time in total
Anthony J.
Anthony J.
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-09-22, 21:15

fishnabowl has the current offer up.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-22, 21:18

Anthony J. wrote:Hobby, or nick, whichever you guys prefer, I will take you up on your offer. Who should I pm?
Hello Anthony,
I don't think Nick participated in Plant It Forward & Hobby's  plants have been picked up by Poke. I have received Poke's plants. Currently my plants are up for grabs. If your interested in these plants please PM me.

Chad
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony J. 2013-09-22, 21:23

I know, I edited my post, only saw the first page Embarassed 
Anthony J.
Anthony J.
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-22, 22:49

Anthony J. wrote:Hobby, or nick, whichever you guys prefer, I will take you up on your offer. Who should I pm?

::EDIT:: I only saw the first page, but, I will look at whoever is next and send them a pm Smile
Anthony J. has accepted my plants. You should be receiving them by mid week Very Happy
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony J. 2013-09-22, 23:13

Thanks, I will post what I have to offer..... when I figure it out, probably right around the time the plants get here, you know, move these here for those to go there, then cut these down, and these down to make room for...... I should know soon. Smile
Anthony J.
Anthony J.
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony J. 2013-09-24, 23:55

I have received excellent plants, from fish in a bowl. And, might not seem like much to others, but there was some moss mixed in, and I have been contemplating purchasing some from the interweb, so, big bonus for me there. Smile

My offer, sorry nothing fancy, I'm just creeping into the planted aquarium scene.
Hornwort, 4-7" long several strands. I let these free float, although I read somewhere people plant them.

Needle leaf java fern, 10ish leaves on a few ryhzome.

Trident java fern, I don't have much since I only got it a month ago, but, since I dont really have anything super fancy to offer, I want to offer 1/3 of what I have of this, so about 4 leaves on a short few inch ryhzome.

Java fern, I have a good amount, if you want it, tell me how much.

Everything is easy to grow and does very well in low light, so if there is anyone thinking about keeping a planted tank, most of this stuff is indestructible, don't know how you would plant it forward, but, I'm sure something could be figured out.

sorry, I am trying to compensate for my lack of "rare" plants I guess.
thanks for the great plants fishNabowl.

Anthony J.
Anthony J.
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-25, 00:48

Smile your welcome. My 1st time shipping I am happy you received them in good health.

Needle leaf, and trident ferns are an awesome plant. I too have just started growing these in smaller tanks. My nano tank has trident fern I like it very much Smile
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-09-25, 00:53

Anthony J. wrote:I have received excellent plants, from fish in a bowl. And, might not seem like much to others, but there was some moss mixed in, and I have been contemplating purchasing some from the interweb, so, big bonus for me there. Smile

My offer, sorry nothing fancy, I'm just creeping into the planted aquarium scene.
Hornwort, 4-7" long several strands. I let these free float, although I read somewhere people plant them.

Needle leaf java fern, 10ish leaves  on a few ryhzome.

Trident java fern, I don't have much since I only got it a month ago, but, since I dont really have anything super fancy to offer, I want to offer 1/3 of what I have of this, so about 4 leaves on a short few inch ryhzome.

Java fern, I have a good amount, if you want it, tell me how much.

Everything is easy to grow and does very well in low light, so if there is anyone thinking about keeping a planted tank, most of this stuff is indestructible,  don't know how you would plant it forward, but, I'm sure something could be figured out.

sorry, I am trying to compensate for my lack of "rare" plants I guess.
thanks for the great plants fishNabowl.

Java fern Trident is actually decently hard to get a hold of. Never available wholesale. Also your plant package is awesome cause almost anyone could make good use of it.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-25, 02:07

Current offer up for grabs:

Anthony J.:
Hornwort
Needle Leaf Java Fern
Trident Java Fern
Java Fern

Someone grab this wonderful offer, before it "grows" away! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-06, 13:01

Bump
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-10-11, 00:43

i may have to jump on this one, especially when hes just down the street Smile. not sure what id pass along but im sure i can come up with something
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-11, 00:55

Anthraxx wrote:i may have to jump on this one, especially when hes just down the street Smile. not sure what id pass along but im sure i can come up with something
JUMP! Oo. bounce

Very Happy
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony J. 2013-10-11, 16:03

Received message, made arrangements Smile
Anthony J.
Anthony J.
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-10-12, 22:21

yup wonderful amount of java fern, thanks again anthony. as you may have guessed all i really have are some java ferns and some super tiny crypts that have been slowly creeping accross my shellie tank. i also have all sorts of supplies and other goodies i could pass along (air pumps, stones, air line, bio media, logs, etc) ill try and get some pictures of everything i can pass along and we'll see what somebody chooses Smile
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-12, 22:31

Anthraxx wrote:yup wonderful amount of java fern, thanks again anthony. as you may have guessed all i really have are some java ferns and some super tiny crypts that have been slowly creeping accross my shellie tank. i also have all sorts of supplies and other goodies i could pass along (air pumps, stones, air line, bio media, logs, etc) ill try and get some pictures of everything i can pass along and we'll see what somebody chooses Smile
Crypts & logs!?! Oooooh....
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next