I got some pipefish to eat frozen foods!

+2
DMD123
Aquarium Co-Op
6 posters

Go down

I got some pipefish to eat frozen foods! Empty I got some pipefish to eat frozen foods!

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-09-01, 02:48

I've been working on these guys for about a week now in my shop. The hope is I can get them fully over to frozen foods. Right now most of them still eat live baby brine. However in this video there is frozen daphnia and frozen baby brine in the tank. You also see a few live worms. I don't think they can eat the live worms but I'm leaving them in there just in case.

Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

I got some pipefish to eat frozen foods! Empty Re: I got some pipefish to eat frozen foods!

Post  DMD123 2013-09-01, 09:45

Those are cool! Thanks for sharing the video.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

I got some pipefish to eat frozen foods! Empty Re: I got some pipefish to eat frozen foods!

Post  Guest 2013-09-01, 10:04

Wow, let us know is they continue with the frozen please.

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-09-01, 14:31

Ive never heard of a pipe fish. How large do they get? Temperament? Type of water?
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-09-01, 14:53

Peaceful. Very slow ambush predators. Guppies would starve them out etc... I've got mine at the shop with a few otocinclus. usually they only eat live foods but I'm working on getting them to frozen. They prefer soft water and are basically like owning seahorses.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2013-09-01, 14:55

Awesome, a fresh water Seahorse with a long tail. I like it. Very Happy
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-01, 20:32

And hopefully we can totally convert them into eating frozen foods, so that I don't have to make baby brine shrimp as often. LOL. kidding. ;-)
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-09-01, 22:41

PokeSephiroth wrote:And hopefully we can totally convert them into eating frozen foods, so that I don't have to make baby brine shrimp as often. LOL. kidding. ;-)
Ha!

I was eyeballing these lil critters last time in the store. A fish buddy of mine was showing me how easy it was to hatch brine shrimp & was suggesting that I should get into the habit of it if I wanted successful breeding with my smaller cichlids... I am not set up for it right yet so I had to pass up these interesting critters!
If you guys get them eating frozen as a primary I would be interested Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-01, 23:11

hatching brine shrimp is pretty easy, yes. However, I am scared of introducing live brine shrimp to my fish because once they've tasted live brine shrimp, they might never go back to frozen foods. LOL!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  fishyladdy 2013-09-02, 00:02

super cool i love these little buggers id love to have some

"note to self need more room and more tanks!!!!"
fishyladdy
fishyladdy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-02, 00:46

i like the thought of a freshwater seahorse too. I don't like the thought of live food all of the time. are they a hardy fish or really fragile like the saltwater seahorse?
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-09-02, 00:51

In my care they seem really hardy.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  lloyd378 2013-09-02, 00:56

nobody likes a "bragger", Cory. lol . just kidding. i really think one of these would look good in a small aquarium on my desk at work!
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-09-02, 01:00

They've been bred in 10 gallon aquariums before.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down