Plants for Victorian and Malawi Cichlids

3 posters

Go down

Plants for Victorian and Malawi Cichlids Empty Plants for Victorian and Malawi Cichlids

Post  CrazedAce 2013-06-21, 17:29

I was just wondering what plants I could put in with my cichlids. Right now I have about five Java fern plants and a bunch of aponogeton in an empty 30gal. I know the aponogeton will get eaten, but what about the fern?

I also have some anacharis spread throughout my other tanks and was wondering if that could go in there as well? Or would that be too tasty?

I know they don't need plants, I just prefer to keep something in there other than rocks and decorations...
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Plants for Victorian and Malawi Cichlids Empty Re: Plants for Victorian and Malawi Cichlids

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-06-21, 17:56

You'd probably be better off doing fake plants, either that or possibly plants that have a very strong and well established root structure
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Plants for Victorian and Malawi Cichlids Empty Re: Plants for Victorian and Malawi Cichlids

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2013-06-21, 18:00

Hi CrazedAce,

Several GSAS members keep species from both African lakes and along with the various species of Microsorum pteropus (java ferns) such as 'Windelov', 'Trident', 'Needleleaf', and 'Narrowleaf' any of the various species of anubias (barteri, etc) seem to survive and sometimes thrive in the harder, alkaline water conditions.  Also, one of our GSAS members has a strain of Vallisneria that I believe came from one of those African lakes and it seems to grow well in those conditions.  Also you might try some of the Bolbitis species, they come from Africa, are very tough, and can tolerate low light.  You won't typically find Bolbitis in the stores because it is a slow grower and the big plant farms can't raise it fast enough to make money but on the forums and occasionally at the GSAS meetings you will see some offered.

Here is a 30 gallon with Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov' (on wood far left) and 'Trident'(on wood right)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-06-21, 18:59

Oh, I have no idea what type of Java fern it is that I have... I added some aragonite sand just now to increase ph for the fish. I doubt it will benefit the plants at all, but who knows. What's a good way to increase alkalinity?

I'm planning on adding some dwarf lilies as well once they outgrow my 10gal tanks. I've had one in a mixed cichlid tank for a few months now and it seems to be doing fine.

I will keep an eye out for those plants you listed though! Money is tight right now unfortunately because its getting tied up for moving, but I wasn't planning on splurging right away anyways. Razz

I'm planning on breeding my pundamilia in this tank once the females get settled in for a while.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2013-06-21, 20:57

Hi CrazedAce,

Argonite is basically composed of calcium carbonate.  It should raise your PH (dKH/carbonate hardness/alkalinity) and your overall general hardness (dGH).  Although I do not keep any African species I understand from the talks at GSAS of Ad Konings, Lawrence Kent, and Chuck Rambo that those are the conditions the rift lake species enjoy.

Actually plants do use calcium and magnesium, along with the macro nutrients like nitrates, potassium, and phosphates along with micro nutrients.  Post a WTB to the list and maybe someone needs to thin out their plants and you can get them at a reasonable price.

-Roy
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-06-22, 00:22

Thank you, Roy!!
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down