Gourami Rivalry

3 posters

Go down

Gourami Rivalry Empty Gourami Rivalry

Post  CrazedAce 2013-04-25, 16:27

As most of you know, my blue gourami pair has mated a couple times, once in a 10gal that I was expecting, and another time in a 28gal community tank that surprised me. After they mated in the community tank, he became aggressive and I moved him to a breeder net in a cichlid tank for about a week. Today, I added a female gold gourami in the community tank before adding the blue male, to try to lessen the aggression between the gold and blue males. No luck. Instantly, they both darkened up and began chasing each other, I witnessed the blue one grab the gold by his tailfin and drag him down a little. This is so much worse than it was before! Could having bred the blue male cause him to never again be able to be in a community tank with other gouramis? Could the blue female be the gem they are both fighting over? I don't want to get rid of any of these fish, but I also don't want them to be the only gourami in another tank, that just seems cruel and lonely for them.

I will wait a day to see if the aggression slows down at all, but I would also like to see if anyone had any advice on the matter.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Gourami Rivalry Empty Re: Gourami Rivalry

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-04-25, 16:42

maybe adding another blue female would help?
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-04-25, 22:22

Lamental Jester wrote:maybe adding another blue female would help?
Plus One I agree
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-04-26, 02:01

I don't have another blue female... Yet. Very Happy

A couple hours after I posted, the aggression seemed to diminish. I will be removing all my floaters tomorrow to discourage the pairs from breeding, hopefully the peace lasts.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-04-26, 22:17

Hmmm..... I am getting a blue female... I think..... I dunno..... *not trolling just dunno if it's a female or male!*
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-04-27, 00:55

Males have longer top fins than female. But it would be hard to tell if you don't have any other gouramis with it. Lol. Also, males get dark with a green line on their bottom fin when in breeding mode, which is another thing I enjoy about breeding. Smile

Today there was absolutely no aggression. Both males had the green stripe and a little darker of colors, but they were right next to each other happy and content.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down