Tank mates for the meanest gourami...

2 posters

Go down

Tank mates for the meanest gourami... Empty Tank mates for the meanest gourami...

Post  Guest 2011-09-30, 14:17

So my friend has a 20 gallon tank and its only occupant is a spotted, blue or whatever you want to call it gourami. He is about 2 to 3 inches, and everything she puts in there he kills. She asked me what to do, and I suggested she re arrange the tank before adding the next "friend" and maybe add some taller decorations. All there is in the tank is a rock, and a mug the fish likes to hide in. Any other ideas? Or suggestions as to what to put with him?

Back to top Go down

Tank mates for the meanest gourami... Empty Re: Tank mates for the meanest gourami...

Post  Ratlova30 2011-09-30, 18:25

I think the easiest thing to start with would to get taller decor as you said, some tall fake/real plants would be good. Do you know if the 3-spot is a male or female? Females have a rounded dorsal fin. I'm just trying to think of fish that could handle the bullying from a gourami and none come to mind that could fit comfortably in a 20gal besides another gourami of the opposite gender, maybe one that's bigger then your friends current gourami. Maybe someone else can chime in with their experience. I've had a tank of three spots, a male and four females and they were all chill.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Tank mates for the meanest gourami... Empty Re: Tank mates for the meanest gourami...

Post  Guest 2011-09-30, 19:35

I like the advice of ratlova... I'm pretty sure those "blue" (opaline gouramis) come from the same waters as a lot of barbs in there natural habitat. Most barbs are fast, and more then capible of handeling them selfs. Although a pretty small tank I would think a few small barbs would do well. Perhaps the five banded barb, these are active and attractive I wouldent do less then 5 or more then 8 in a tank that size. They are one of the more "docile" members of the family and useually aren't overly nippy at the fins like some of the others. I am pretty sure fish gallery and pets in renton keeps the largest selction of barbs... although I haven't looked for barbs for a while.. give APFP a call, I bet they have em. Hope this helps.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-09-30, 21:45

I think she is going to pick up some plants this weekend. I have no clue if its male or female... But I can ask her to look into it. This fish has taken out a school of fairly large tiger barbs among many other fish so I am not sure if I can convince her to go that route again. But thanks for the suggestion. I will pass it on!

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2011-09-30, 22:05

..get her a convict...just one the Females are pretty...and they cant stand up for them selves!
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down