Amazon Sword Rot + What is this other plant?

5 posters

Go down

Amazon Sword Rot + What is this other plant? Empty Amazon Sword Rot + What is this other plant?

Post  CrazedAce 2013-04-05, 18:42

Was just wondering what I could do about this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I obviously trimmed the rotting leaf, as well as the ones that were starting to get black hair algae. The algae also took hold of most of my hornwort in the tank, as well as the following plant which I need an ID on:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I do weekly 20-30% water changes and use API CO2 booster. Could both problems be due to a lack of nutrients?
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Amazon Sword Rot + What is this other plant? Empty Re: Amazon Sword Rot + What is this other plant?

Post  pbmax 2013-04-05, 19:13

How much light do you have over the tank and what's your photoperiod (duration the lights are on each day)? What other ferts do you use beyond the liquid co2? How big is the tank?
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Amazon Sword Rot + What is this other plant? Empty Re: Amazon Sword Rot + What is this other plant?

Post  CrazedAce 2013-04-05, 19:53

I think 2x 20watt replacements over a 10gal I have no idea on lumens however, I can check tonight. They run 12hours, 9:30am-9:30pm. I've not used any fertilizers.

This plant was in the same tank as the dead white cloud I found after cycling water. It wasn't stiff, so I assumed it was caused by me squishing it. It had a strange yellow spot on it's head that looked like a huge bruise. Might have been close to death though, it looked sickly for s few weeks. Also have a platy in a 30gal that's been sick for almost two months! Maybe he is a carrier...?
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-05, 19:59

That's a lot of light for a 10g Very Happy I've run that much light before, but only with ferts and a ton of plants. I'm guessing the reason why you have algae problems is high light and too few nutrients for the plants. Liquid co2 is a supplemental fertilizer; I'd try dosing with flourish comprehensive as directed on the bottle and shorten your photoperiod by at least 2h. That should help reduce algae growth. Add more fast growers like stem plants to help compete with the algae.

OR

Swap those 2x 20Ws for 2x 13Ws and keep your photoperiod the same. I'd still try fertilizing with something like flourish comprehensive.

Edit: also, how much surface agitation do you have? Some algae thrive in poorly oxygenated conditions.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-04-05, 20:06

It has a good amount of surface agitation with job filter and appropriately sized airstone. I'll see how it goes over the next week. No money for ferts though.
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-04-07, 00:31

Still got a bottle of api leaf zone if u want it.
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2013-04-07, 02:33

The sword needs root tabs.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2013-04-07, 13:23

Hello Ace....

The plant you're holding in the pic looks like an Anubias to me, although it doesn't seem to have a rhizome. I don't know all the different cultivars and species. Try tying it to a rock or a piece of wood. It doesn't like growing in the substrate. It's a relatively slow grower.

Also, Ted Judy, in one of his recent talks here at the GSAS gathering, suggested letting it float and form a mass which will give cover to fry.
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CrazedAce 2013-04-07, 15:49

BillHN wrote:Still got a bottle of api leaf zone if u want it.

Sure, I'd love to get fertilizers. I tried looking for some at Petco last night, but couldn't find any.

What kind of root tabs? What brand?

I'll just let the anubias float then, if that's truly what it is. Very Happy
CrazedAce
CrazedAce
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-07, 17:07

I believe petsmart carries flourish root tabs; I don't know if petco has any.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down