Sword in a pot. just a thought.

2 posters

Go down

Sword in a pot.  just a thought. Empty Sword in a pot. just a thought.

Post  momsfishn 2010-07-19, 15:58

Many years ago, I had a very large sun porch where I kept many planted tanks. I seemed to be able to grow almost anything, accept an Amazon Sword. I had seen them growing in one of Axelrode's care books and desperately wanted one to grow in my tanks. So I got a medium sized closed flower pot, filled it about 2/3full of garden soil, added water til it was totally saturated, planted the Swords roots in the mud added enough gravels to cover the soil (about a 1/4 in from the top of pot. Then added water to the pot(very slowly) until the water stood just sightly below the top of the pot. I then lowered it into a 29 gal. tall and watched. I think I prayed a little too. Anyway to make a long story short, in about 4 months it filled that 29 gal. and then bloomed out the top. JUST A THOUGHT, for those who do not want to tear up the whole tank to try soil substrate. gone again. Sleep
momsfishn
momsfishn
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Sword in a pot.  just a thought. Empty Re: Sword in a pot. just a thought.

Post  ledieudufromage 2010-07-19, 17:14

I have potted water lilies in my tank. They have a water safe substrate/dirt in them. I think in is part clay. Any thoughts on that?
ledieudufromage
ledieudufromage
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  momsfishn 2010-07-19, 18:03

Should be ok, if its all clay, it would be more one with its surroundings. Did you have any color come from the pot, when you submerged it? Probably not important, just curious. Keep dead leaves removed and watch for new growth. waterlilies should be fun! cheers
momsfishn
momsfishn
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ledieudufromage 2010-07-20, 13:19

momsfishn wrote:Should be ok, if its all clay, it would be more one with its surroundings. Did you have any color come from the pot, when you submerged it? Probably not important, just curious. Keep dead leaves removed and watch for new growth. waterlilies should be fun! cheers

I've had the water lilies in a few of my tanks for a while. I love them. Sort of like huge Apons. Have you ever put Apons in a shallow tank? They do water lily like leaves.
ledieudufromage
ledieudufromage
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  momsfishn 2010-07-20, 15:31

No, I have not. Most of my experience was long ago, and many of the plants I grew were, easy and fast growers. They had lot of natural sunlight and they flourished. If you have a picture of you waterlilies, I sure would like to see them. I really envy all the exotic growth you guys get today. I love you
momsfishn
momsfishn
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ledieudufromage 2010-07-20, 16:37

momsfishn wrote:No, I have not. Most of my experience was long ago, and many of the plants I grew were, easy and fast growers. They had lot of natural sunlight and they flourished. If you have a picture of you waterlilies, I sure would like to see them. I really envy all the exotic growth you guys get today. I love you

I'm in the process of reorganizing everything in my aquarium, I'll post pics when it is done and some of the new bulbs get some growth.
ledieudufromage
ledieudufromage
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  momsfishn 2010-07-20, 17:21

Sounds Great! I will surely watch for your pics.
momsfishn
momsfishn
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down