Tower filter

2 posters

Go down

Tower filter Empty Tower filter

Post  hawaiian opae 2013-03-21, 15:55

Anyone running a tower filter for shrimp? Is this a bad idea?
hawaiian opae
hawaiian opae
Fry

Back to top Go down

Tower filter Empty Re: Tower filter

Post  Salzabar 2013-03-21, 22:50

Tower filter? Do you mean like this?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Or do you mean like this?

Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  hawaiian opae 2013-03-22, 00:09

Like the first one.
hawaiian opae
hawaiian opae
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2013-03-22, 01:02

So its a stand up trickle filter. Same as any trickle I would imagine. Water gravity feeds down to trickle filter underneath tank and a power head or sump pump pushes water back into tank. Or, tower filter is above or next to tank. either way its all good filtration. If I had space I would use trickle filters on all my tanks because they are just so perfect for filtering and aerating the water plus keeping the heater in the filter housing instead of the tank keeps it all looking neat.
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-03-22, 01:09

hawaiian opae wrote:Anyone running a tower filter for shrimp? Is this a bad idea?

This is a sump. I have a sump and tried raising shrimp. You could use this but would need to find an overflow that would accommodate a course sponge in the inlet inside the tank or shrimp would end up in your sump. Then you would need to make sure this sponge never clogged and stopped siphon in the overflow. I have a mesh over my overflow to stop organic debris from entering my overflow but this didn't stop me from losing some shrimp.

If your tank has a built in overflow you might be able to find a fine mesh to block shrimp from entering.

If your tank doesn't have a built in over flow you'll need a hang on overflow plumbed in the tower sump.
Here's one that looks like it will accommodate some sort of sponge or mesh. There are different types that are cheaper.

In my opinion this type filtration isn't the best for raising shrimp. I would hate to see you stuff a sponge in the overflow in the wrong place or have that sponge clog and flood your tank or burn the pump up from running it dry...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down