how to Ludwigia repens, broadleaf (?)

2 posters

Go down

how to Ludwigia repens, broadleaf (?)  Empty how to Ludwigia repens, broadleaf (?)

Post  Guest 2013-03-15, 00:54

As this plant reaches toward the top of the waterline it has started to bend over, root, and then branch out toward the light with many shoots.
I question if this is normal because all the other Ludwigia I've seen in displays do not look like this. What I see in other tanks is long single stems from the substraight to the top of the water.
Should I prune this back at the bend then plant the roots and whole stem under substraight?
Any experianced info appriciated.

(not the best picture quality-sorry)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

how to Ludwigia repens, broadleaf (?)  Empty Re: how to Ludwigia repens, broadleaf (?)

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-03-15, 01:13

One of my ludwigia repends did that too! I just trimmed it and let it float (although, I s'pose I should plant it down in the substrate) and it hasn't had any problems.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

how to Ludwigia repens, broadleaf (?)  Empty Re: how to Ludwigia repens, broadleaf (?)

Post  pbmax 2013-03-15, 11:46

Yup, that's normal and the sign of a very healthy plant, given all the roots.

You can really do anything you want with ludwigia repens. My typical approach with my narrow leaf is to cut them way back, then trim and bunch the cuttings, wrap a plant weight around them, then plant them elsewhere (or sell them). The base you cut them off of will grow new shoots, or you can pull it up and toss it if it's too stringy or starting to rot away.

So prune however you like - both the base and the ends will continue growing.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-03-15, 21:48

Thanks for the input guys!

I cut the stem down past these roots and planted the whole stem into the substraight with all the little shoots poking up. I'll update the growth on he forum.

Again thank you. I'm simi new to planted tanks. I wanna make sure I'm doing things right with all the ferts, lighting and what have you...

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-03-15, 21:57

I always tore the ugly roots off Very Happy Likely didn't do the plants any favors, but they didn't seem to mind.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-03-15, 22:21

pbmax wrote:I always tore the ugly roots off Very Happy Likely didn't do the plants any favors, but they didn't seem to mind.

Good to know. I pulled some roots off as well!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down