Ludwigia species I.D. help

2 posters

Go down

Ludwigia species I.D. help Empty Ludwigia species I.D. help

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-25, 01:40

Started to keep a journal of plant species I have accumulated. This one I've had for a long while. Started with 3-4 stems picked up at a swap last spring or summer . I had issues growing it at first but over time I've gotten a bit. Having troubles now identifying it using Internet and was hoping someone may know what it is off the top of their head. This plants leaves are a bit smaller and spread out more than I am accustomed to with Ludwigia- leaves a bit thinner. It's coloring out with a bronze tinge more so on the underside of leaves. I know color with this species greatly depends on lighting and ferts but I wanted to include the plants growth habits a bit for reference.

Any help appreciated.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Ludwigia species I.D. help Empty Re: Ludwigia species I.D. help

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2014-01-25, 16:37

Hi fishNAbowl,

Many of the Ludwigia species can look similar, and the leave shape can vary with the lighting and ferts, but it looks like Ludwigia arcuata X repens to me. Do the leaves get reddish-orange as the stems get closer to the light?
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-25, 18:11

Thanks Roy, yes the leaves do get a reddish orange. I've been searching on the Internet but like you said the look of these plants vary depending on the elements used to grow them in. Although the color doesn't match exactly what I see on the Internet the leaves , and stems resemble closest to Ludwigia arcuata Repens species. Buy reading and looking at pictures when I use the "X" species the leaves on my plants seem a bit darker and thicker in leaf structure .

I will mark this down in my journal as Arcuata Repens and input the X as a possibility.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2014-01-25, 18:53

Hi fishNAbowl,

Ludwigia arcuata X repens is a naturally occurring cross in nature of Ludwigia arcuata and Ludwigia repens. I grow it myself and it does fine both in tanks with CO2 and tanks without CO2.
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2014-01-25, 20:34

Seattle_Aquarist wrote:Hi fishNAbowl,

Ludwigia arcuata X repens is a naturally occurring cross in nature of Ludwigia arcuata and Ludwigia repens.  I grow it myself and it does fine both in tanks with CO2 and tanks without CO2.

I maybe still just scratching the surface here Roy. I feel like I just got done with a class called Ludwigia 101. (Without getting into the sub types- SP, SP red, ect) I took all 3 species Repens, Arcuata X Repens, and Arcuata and entered them into 3 Internet pages and looked through 100's of photos. I now am seeing the differences of all 3 types. There maybe many color morphs but there is a few qualities in the 3 to distinguish them.

I agree with you. The plant I have must be Arcuata X Repens.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down