Planted Tank's DIY Co2 Vs Fluval Mini Co2 System. With updates on thoughts and extras.

3 posters

Go down

Planted Tank's DIY Co2 Vs Fluval Mini Co2 System. With updates on thoughts and extras. Empty Planted Tank's DIY Co2 Vs Fluval Mini Co2 System. With updates on thoughts and extras.

Post  BillHN 2013-02-27, 15:05

WARNING! Wall of Text Incoming
Soo... currently... I'm using a Fluval Mini Co2 System. Cost: $35
And so far so good. Minus the part where the instructions on how to use the system were... well vague...
I'm new to Co2 Injection and all of this so I thought.. hmm this should be good for a planted tank.. lets see how this'll go.

The Fluval Mini went out in less than a week on 20g's of co2. But apparently I was using it the wrong way.
Otherwise it wouldn't go out in less than a week.
So replacement cartridges (3 a piece) cost about 12$ - 15$ per order.
But there's threaded Co2 16grams that works with the system for bout 0.8 cents a piece from Ebay if you buy it en masse (i just bought a 90 pack...)

Thoughts... "that *@!*#@!*(!@ had better last me awhile!" other thoughts "fluval is expensive"
I read on forums about other scaper's ideas about the fluval mini, and well. Not too many people like it (darn my impulse buy), but the concept is simple, and if I work on it enough it should work well with a 20L without a problem if I use it right.

But the Planted Tank's Co2 Injection DIY seems to be a better idea and cheaper way (considering I can get co2 refills for free at work.. wish i could get 16g's for free.)

Here's a minilink: plantedtank. (can't poste external links, so please fill in) net/forums/showthread.php?t=115850

"I found a cheap way to use Paintball Co2 Tank for injecting Co2 into planted aquariums. Prices varies depending on different Brands of products that you purchase. I preferred to get parts brand new to avoid any problem down the line. This setup can cost from $30 dollars to $80 dollars + for a working unit. It all depends on what you want to do and add on to it. But it's easily obtainable with $30 dollars to rig up.

In order to have this setup rig up and working. You will need the following items."
Kudo's to these guys for this. But yeah, it seems like a better way to doing things rather than using the sugar and yeast formula.

So after finishing the DIY this is his postup on how long they're supposed to last
"At 1bps on a 24 oz PB tank. You can get 5-6 months.
At 2bps on a 24 oz PB tank. You can get 4-5 months.
At 3bps on a 24 oz PB tank. You can get 2-3 months.
At 4-5 bps on a 24 oz PB tank, You can get 1.5-2 months
At 6-8 bps on a 24 oz PB tank, You're looking at 1 month before refill."

Thoughts? Cause I'm thinking if I get a 40L then I'll definitely want this for setups above 20g's

Last edited by BillHN on 2013-02-27, 15:45; edited 2 times in total
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Planted Tank's DIY Co2 Vs Fluval Mini Co2 System. With updates on thoughts and extras. Empty Re: Planted Tank's DIY Co2 Vs Fluval Mini Co2 System. With updates on thoughts and extras.

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2013-02-27, 15:30

Hi BillNH,

If you are really interested in doing CO2 do what I did, watch Craiglist for a beerhead selling his tank and regulator.

I picked up a 20# aluminum tank and regulator for $60. I added a splitter and two needle valves for about $70. Now I have a system that feeds two tanks (45 & 30) for about $130. I fill the tank about every 9 months for $20.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Planted Tank's DIY Co2 Vs Fluval Mini Co2 System. With updates on thoughts and extras. Empty Re: Planted Tank's DIY Co2 Vs Fluval Mini Co2 System. With updates on thoughts and extras.

Post  BillHN 2013-02-27, 15:51

I am now searching craigslist, and probably will be for the next few weeks.
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Gizmo 2013-02-28, 13:42

+1, I am an old beerhead that turned my tap system into a CO2 system for my fish tank.
Gizmo
Gizmo
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-02-28, 14:36

Seattle_Aquarist wrote:Hi BillNH,

If you are really interested in doing CO2 do what I did, watch Craiglist for a beerhead selling his tank and regulator.

I picked up a 20# aluminum tank and regulator for $60. I added a splitter and two needle valves for about $70. Now I have a system that feeds two tanks (45 & 30) for about $130. I fill the tank about every 9 months for $20.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
20$!!!? That's it? wowza, I was doing a search so I could link up stores that would do it for cheap in olympia and lacey, and.... no dice haha most of them tried to go for 40 cents an ounce!
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down