Could use some suggestion on best,neatest SNAILS for planted tanks? Or just a SNAIL that looks awesome!

+5
hobbyorobsession
pbmax
Lamental Jester
PokeSephiroth
sidekicking
9 posters

Go down

Could use some suggestion on best,neatest SNAILS for planted tanks? Or just a SNAIL that looks awesome!  Empty Could use some suggestion on best,neatest SNAILS for planted tanks? Or just a SNAIL that looks awesome!

Post  Guest 2013-01-17, 01:07

I have 2 newly planted tanks. I've read about Nerite snails and picked up a couple that look pretty cool. They are black with a yellow stripe. Bumped into Malaysian trumpet snails and picked up a few. I'm looking for species that look awesome big or small that serve a function like eating algae and or food scraps but not plants. Any ideas I can look into would be great.

A couple large snails would be sweet in my 140 gallon tank as long as they won't eat all my plants. I don't mind some plant nibbling but cant destroy my whole tank.

Thanks,
C~

Back to top Go down

Could use some suggestion on best,neatest SNAILS for planted tanks? Or just a SNAIL that looks awesome!  Empty Re: Could use some suggestion on best,neatest SNAILS for planted tanks? Or just a SNAIL that looks awesome!

Post  sidekicking 2013-01-17, 01:47

That's easy just get more nerite snails they are one of the best cleaners
but they will leave eggs all over the tank lol

Apple snails for the bigger tank but I think they eat plants
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Could use some suggestion on best,neatest SNAILS for planted tanks? Or just a SNAIL that looks awesome!  Empty Re: Could use some suggestion on best,neatest SNAILS for planted tanks? Or just a SNAIL that looks awesome!

Post  Guest 2013-01-17, 02:35

sidekicking wrote:That's easy just get more nerite snails they are one of the best cleaners
but they will leave eggs all over the tank
lol

I never enquired how big nerite snails can get. The ones I got are about the size of a penciel eraser. Do they get bigger?

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-01-17, 02:41

Nerite Snails can get to be as big as a green grape, that's usually as big as I've seen them. But I'm sure ones in the wild grow slightly bigger than that.

I like ramshorn snails, although, they breed like crazy. Make sure to keep an eye out for them, or just don't over feed so that the snail population doesn't explode on you Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-01-17, 02:57

Malaysian trumpet snails work well, and they wont eat your plants. But they can easily overwhelm your tank. If that happens get a clown loach or two, i hear they will happily feast on them
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-01-17, 11:37

Assassin snails! Very Happy To control your future MTS explosion of course...
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-01-17, 12:03

check out rabbit snails
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-01-17, 12:28

Interesting few suggestions. Even though I like them I read the Ram horn eats plants. The assassin is pretty sweet according to some reading I did. I definitely will check them out if I have over population issues.

I like the Rabbit snails. This is a snail I've never heard about or seen in fish stores (I've never looked for them either). I'll start enquiring about the availability....

I already have a few Malaysian trumpets in my 30g. Im hoping to use that population to establish a colony in my 140g.

The type of Nerite snail i found is Horned Nerite. They look pretty sweet, not any bigger than a pea, you can totally tell by my clean plants they are doing a great job.

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-01-17, 12:48

As far as I understand it the "normal" smaller ramshorn species that don't get any bigger than a quarter don't eat plants. I have a ton and my plants are fine. Mystery snails also don't eat my plants, but they seem to eat plants for some folks.

Granted, you will end up with holes in your plants if they're not 100% happy and healthy. The snails will find those spots.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-01-17, 14:56

the ramshorn snails that pbmax have mentioned are the ones that I have (he's the one that sold them to me! hahaha). I'm sorry, I should have clarified earlier. =P

Yeah, my plants in my 10g haven't had any problems with them being in there Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-01-17, 15:30

id go assassin snails personally. tried others and just ended up with eggs all over the place (got rather irritating to see little white spots in all my fish pics Razz )
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2013-01-17, 16:26

what about mystery snails? Pomacea bridgessii

Im currently breeding purple and magenta ones...

they dont eat plants..or breed out of control..when they breed they lay clutches of big pink eggs out of the water you can just toss them away if you don't want more
they dont eat plants..all of mine are kept in planted tanks.
they get larger than a golf ball

they come in
Ivory
gold
blue
black
wild (brown)
purple
magenta ...and a few others i cant think of.

here are a few pics of mine..here is a gold one
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
purple
ivory

magenta and purple babies...
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-01-17, 17:26

@Kaosu, those are amazing. I would like a couple just for odamental reasons. Any of those would look awesome in my tank but the purple would be stunning under my actinic light. I would be interested in 2-3. Or if you know where I could find some?

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2013-01-17, 17:41

theChad wrote:@Kaosu, those are amazing. I would like a couple just for odamental reasons. Any of those would look awesome in my tank but the purple would be stunning under my actinic light. I would be interested in 2-3. Or if you know where I could find some?

well i just so happen to have a a batch that is pea size of the magenta and purple ^_^
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2013-01-17, 18:34

Ooh trapdoor snails are pretty awsome too
Midway usually has rabbit snails
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-01-17, 19:05

Definitely go for some mystery snails - beautiful creatures. Wish I could keep them alive Sad
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  binbin9 2013-01-18, 03:41

pbmax wrote:Assassin snails! Very Happy To control your future MTS explosion of course...

I want assassin snails as well, but I'm afraid they'll harm my rabbits which are like $8 a piece!
This is how I've controlled my snail explosion. These little clingers usually tag along with new plant purchases.

binbin9
binbin9

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-01-18, 08:46

binbin9 wrote:
pbmax wrote:Assassin snails! Very Happy To control your future MTS explosion of course...

I want assassin snails as well, but I'm afraid they'll harm my rabbits which are like $8 a piece!
This is how I've controlled my snail explosion. These little clingers usually tag along with new plant purchases.

Along with advice & information read here & other internet reading Im thinking a few Assassin snails within a colony of other snails would be beneficial. Internet reading on these snails profile read that Assassins breed slower than other snails and usually won't erradicate whole colonies but keeps them in check. I dont have any personal experience but im thinking once i notice a point where any other snails are overwhelming the tank i could hunt for these assassins and drop a few in.

I've had those pesky little snails before. I've had them colonize in a sump before too. They never really got out of hand in my sump i believe due to lack of food supply but there would be atlest a few visibly in sight. I thought perhaps this was a good thing if they were eating organic matter. I always break up root balls and rinse them on new plants. But still every once in a while one of those little snails pop up when i buy a new plant.

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-01-18, 12:05

If you're not over-feeding then snails will rarely become a problem. These days I dump surplus snails, if any, into my assassin tank. It's a graveyard of ramshorn and MTS shells. There are still MTS and the odd ramshorn living in that tank, but there are a good number of assassins now.

Assassins breed sexually so you'll need at least a male and a female to reproduce. They lay eggs singly, not in big bunches. And they don't cover your plants with eggs constantly like nerites do.

You should see some impact from assassins within a week of adding them to a tank. They're pretty effective at what they do.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-01-18, 13:19

Ughghghghh... Had I known that you had some MTS as assassin snail fodder, I would've bought some from you! =P I love MTS's!!!

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-01-18, 13:26

Rams make better assassin snail fodder, in my experience. I have way more of them than MTS, that I can tell (even when the lights go out).

Are you running short of MTS or something?? Smile
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-01-18, 13:41

Yeah, for some reason, I had a bunch of MTS, back when my shrimp tank had gravel, but ever since I switched to sand, I only hand picked about 20 or so, but now I can't see them... they must be somewhere beneath the substrate.... but it never hurts to have more MTS!

As for the ramshorns, they're happily breeding like crazy, everywhere you look, there's a ramshorn snail. But I like them in their sheer numbers Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2013-01-18, 13:47

I like these snails: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
haha Sorry could not resist! jocolor
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-01-18, 13:54

Hmmm, I'm not a fan of shellfish or snails. I love fish, but I draw the line at invertebrates. Except squid... I dig squid. Smile
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-01-18, 13:56

..... I'm surprised you have so many shrimp, for someone who doesn't really dig invertebrates. *gasp* I'll take all your shrimp off of you!!! lol!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-01-18, 13:59

SHRIMP ARE FRIENDS, NOT FOOD. Cool
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-01-18, 14:06

Naaaaaaaahahahahaaha!!! *ahem* moving back to the topic...

Do you have a plethora of snails, namely Assassin and MTS snails for sale? I'd love to have some, the next time I head back down to Olympia! Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-01-18, 14:10

PM me and we might be able to work something out.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-01-18, 14:25

Sending you a g-mail message right now Smile
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down