Gizmo
cichlid-gal
pbmax
binbin9
Lamental Jester
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

LJ's 75 gallon Walstad inspired planted tank - Page 2 Empty Re: LJ's 75 gallon Walstad inspired planted tank

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-04-10, 09:30

Everything turned out beautiful really...love the plant selections and placements and your fish (wow)...totally inspired by this...great work!!! cheers
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

LJ's 75 gallon Walstad inspired planted tank - Page 2 Empty Re: LJ's 75 gallon Walstad inspired planted tank

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-04-10, 16:00

Thanks all! The tank setup is almost 3 months old now, pretty proud of the results Smile

Anthraxx wrote:my only tiff with this whole thing is that your plants are so lush and full it just doesnt look like a 75g (or at least to me Razz )
Lol, I assure you it's a 75 gallon, but I know what you mean. I always feel like tanks looks smaller in photos than what they actually are
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-10, 16:36

Looks fantastic! Smile cheers
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aaronfeeney 2013-06-30, 12:46

how about some more update pics?
aaronfeeney
aaronfeeney

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-07-01, 05:15

BLERG!! Happy Birthday in advance, LJ!! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-07-02, 16:52

Ask and ye shall receive:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I had a lot of undergrowth die due to not trimming and over abundance of frogbit and duckweed.  But I've scooped out all the floaters and gave the amazon swords a much needed trim, so the green temple should be growing back in force soon.

And a pic of one of the leopard ctenopomas I got from theChad:

PS- thanks Poke
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-07-02, 17:21

Very nice LJ! Your Rainbows look amazing. The Ctenopomas are kind of an outcast being all brown against the colorful Rainbows. But, they are an awesome fish with different character traits than Rainbows. The Ctentopoma looks good & content. Im happy you gave them a good home. Thank you Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  aaronfeeney 2013-07-03, 00:18

Looks good man. nice meeting you the other day.
aaronfeeney
aaronfeeney

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-07-03, 16:00

really liking all those oddball fish in that tank. not only are the plants fun but the fish as well. great job and keep the pics coming! Smile
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-17, 21:44

So it's been awhile since I updated this.  I've decided to make some changes to the tank, mainly I sold off most my amazon swords at the SWAP and moved the remaining to the back of the tank, that way they wont be blocking out the light like they were before.  I've also added some stargrass (thanks Poke) and some other plant that hobbyorobsession gave away at the last GSAS meeting.  Also moved the crypts together to one side, and moved the green temple to a back corner.  My goal now is to have more not as tall and carpet plants.  Added marsilea minuta and quadrifolia, and plan on getting some glosso in there.  No pics yet, but I'll get some up soon after things settle.  

Until then, here's how Conan O'Brian gets his super powers:

...you're welcome
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-09-17, 23:17

can't wait to see pictuuuuuuuuuuuures!!! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-09-17, 23:44

he said he "sold" the sword XD
MORE LIKE GOT A GIANT LOG OUT OF IT!!#!@#!@#@!#@!
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-18, 02:19

tee hee.... all together now: "LOOOOOOOOOOOOOG!!!"
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-09-18, 03:13

shoulda heard phil he was like "LOG"
 I was like xDDD
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-09-18, 03:17

I hope he joins fishbox. He was a cool cat or nice gentle man for ppl who dont understand. Jk Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-09-18, 09:31

Lamental Jester wrote:

And a pic of one of the leopard ctenopomas I got from theChad:
Look at that handsome beast Very Happy
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-18, 12:11

He is isn't he?  His partner is just as striking... tall, dark, and handsome type just like me
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-09-18, 12:16

BillHN wrote:shoulda heard phil he was like "LOG"
 I was like xDDD
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-10-03, 13:49

Snapped some pics.  So as I was saying before, I'm making some changes to the tank, most of the big swords have been cleared out, the rest pushed to the back, as well as the sunset hydro.  Also cleared out all the water sprite and wisteria.  I won a huge Aponogeton Bovinianus from the plant swap at Aquarium Co-Op that I stuck in the back middle.  Got some Blyxa Japonica at the plant swap too (thanks Angelman).  I also added some plant that I don't know the name of, Hobbyorobsession can you tell me what it is?  It's the plant you gave away at the last GSAS meeting.  Also, got a stem of mermaid weed from Hobbyorobsession, thank you!  Got some Staurogyne Repens out on the left side, hoping to get it to spread and fill out.  Stargrass got put in there too on the right side to fill inbetween some rocks (thanks Poke).  Anyways, here's what the tank look like currently:

Blyxa Japonica, Marsilea Minuta, Stargrass, Mermaid Weed, mystery plant (left).  Green Temple moved to back corner, red crypts grouped together and moved to side:

Staurogyne Repens close up:

So I know the tank isn't looking at its best compared to other times, but once things fill out hopefully my vision will become reality, also been having trouble getting good pics out of my camera for some reason, but I will keep trying.  I might be switching up the lighting to LEDs soon too.
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-03, 15:06

WOW LJ, TANK LOOKS GREAT!!

Have you thought about growing something on that big piece of LOG?
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-10-03, 15:55

Thanks theCh... er, I mean fishNAbowl Wink (seriously, don't go all [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on me and keep changing your name, cause as you know, Wu-Tang Clan ain't nuthin' to *bleep* with Smile )

I've been thinking about attaching some moss to it for a while now, maybe some phoenix, and possibly some anubias to the base, but we shall see.

PS:  your leopard ctenopomas' are still doing great, the shy one has become a little more outgoing, I'll have to get some pics off them on my next round of pics
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dwarfpike 2013-10-03, 16:00

LJ - Looking good. Which rainbow species has the bright red tail? The one under the log?
dwarfpike
dwarfpike
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-10-03, 16:25

your tank looks amazing!! I think you should attach an Anubias to your log.
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-10-03, 16:28

@dwarfpike: Melanotaenia australis (aka Western) I think... I just call them the striped one's, lol

@Morgan: That's what she said! Boom!!! Haha, but yes, it'll probably happen
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-10-03, 19:29

Looks great! cheers 

But I think your clam is dead Sad
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-10-03, 20:11

pbmax wrote:Looks great! cheers 

It prefers the term "Living Impaired"
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-10-03, 20:21

Well, it's probably because you put it in freshwater. Wink

Really though, the tank looks fantastic; you have a great mix of plant colors and the log fits in very well. cheers 
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-10-03, 20:23

The last plants I think I pulled were, ludwigia repens, lobelia cardinalis, and persicara kawagoeanum.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2013-10-03, 20:24

Your tanks look very nice.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-10-03, 21:46

Persicara Kawagoeanum! That's the one, thanks Daniel!!!
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MorganEA 2013-10-03, 21:59

Lamental Jester wrote:
pbmax wrote:Looks great! cheers 

It prefers the term "Living Impaired"
haha poor clam
MorganEA
MorganEA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-03, 22:24

Lamental Jester wrote:Thanks theCh... er, I mean fishNAbowl Wink (seriously, don't go all [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on me and keep changing your name, cause as you know, Wu-Tang Clan ain't nuthin' to *bleep* with Smile )
Laughing I couldn't stay away LJ, aquatics is part of my life. Without WashFishBox I would be a loner within my community .
Lamental Jester wrote:
I've been thinking about attaching some moss to it for a while now, maybe some phoenix, and possibly some anubias to the base, but we shall see.
Spot On           It does look awesome the way it is. That's the 2nd thing that popped into my mind so I threw it out there.
Lamental Jester wrote:
PS:  your leopard ctenopomas' are still doing great, the shy one has become a little more outgoing, I'll have to get some pics off them on my next round of pics
That would be great. They are my favorite medium sized predator. And the two had pretty neat individual personalities Smile
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-10-10, 01:57

Ok, so I got a bunch of HC from the GSAS meeting yesterday, and think I'm gonna try attaching it to the log:

Thoughts?  Suggestions?
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl 2013-10-10, 09:02

I don't have any experience with this plant. If it works it should look awesome!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-10-10, 12:52

Thanks, we'll see how it goes... I tried HC before but it didn't work out so well, I think because it was blocked out by other plants and wasn't getting enough light. This time it's not gonna be shaded and is much closer to the light. I might start dosing the tank with excel again too. Fingers crossed. Any HC experts with any advise would be well welcomed! lol
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  unikorn 2013-11-01, 04:16

Wow that looks great! Have you ever considered EI dosing dry ferts? they are much cheaper than excel in the long run.
unikorn
unikorn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-11-01, 12:43

Thanks unikorn!  I haven't tried dry ferts yet, I might give it a try sometime.  Most of the nutrients are being supplied by the soil substrate however
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-11-01, 13:07

Dry ferts are cheap, but be very careful not to over-dose. I destroyed a couple of my planted tanks doing that... "EI" dosing is designed for high light and CO2, definitely not for a Walstad. You can still use dry ferts of course (I do), but start out with far lower dosing levels than EI.

This page is quite helpful in that regard: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamental Jester 2013-11-01, 13:22

Thanks pbmax! Haha, when I first glanced at the link I thought it said "pedafile", I was like WTF? lol
Lamental Jester
Lamental Jester
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-11-01, 13:42

Heh, yeah, the name is very nearly untoward... Shocked 
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2