Anyone ever house Asain Needle Nose Gars? (Xenentodon cancila)

2 posters

Go down

Anyone ever house Asain Needle Nose Gars? (Xenentodon cancila) Empty Anyone ever house Asain Needle Nose Gars? (Xenentodon cancila)

Post  Guest 2012-12-11, 00:39

I've been interested in, and reading about this species. I'm having a hard time finding these locally or finding anyone with experiance raising them. I'm thinking about raising 3 in my 7 foot long tank full of other preditors.
Tank mates include large Clown Loaches, Polypterus, African leaf fish. I'm currently successfully breeding Kribs in the same tank.

Any experianced input appriciated, or just thoughts, ideas are welcome. If anyone knows where I could find this species I'd appriciate the lead.

Asian Needle Nosed Gar
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever house Asain Needle Nose Gars? (Xenentodon cancila) Empty Re: Anyone ever house Asain Needle Nose Gars? (Xenentodon cancila)

Post  Madness 2012-12-11, 00:43

We had a couple a few years ago and all they ate was live food. No matter how we tried to get them on pellets they wouldnt accept them. So one by one our loaches disappeared, then the bala sharks and rainbow sharks. These guys will eat anything that they can get their alligator type jaws around.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever house Asain Needle Nose Gars? (Xenentodon cancila) Empty Re: Anyone ever house Asain Needle Nose Gars? (Xenentodon cancila)

Post  lloyd378 2012-12-11, 00:51

X2 madness,
I had three in college that would only eat live and they ended up eating everything in the tank except for my barracuda. But I will admit that I loved them..... they were the only fish i have ever owned that made me nervous to feed.

On another note,
I saw some for sale at tropical fish world and pets( in sumner, wa) about three weeks ago. they were around 5". you might try calling them to see if they still have some available.
lloyd378
lloyd378

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-12-11, 01:23

My Centipomas are as round as my fist but flat. Clowns are 5-6 fat inches and Poly is about 10 inches. You guys think the Needles would kill them?

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-12-11, 02:55

Eventually. They max out between 15" and 18", and grow quite quickly between 5" and 12". (at least mine did).

You have to remember, if they get whatever in there mouth they will swallow it. Our Needle nose was about 8" and it swallowed a Bala that was 6". Never thought it could happen. But they are like a snake, they will swallow anything they are able to grab.

Good luck.
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-12-11, 08:35

Yeah, I've had fish like this before. Not worth loosing my other fish. These seem to be an awesome fish though. A good excuse for a new tank! Smile

Thanks you for the info, much appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down