Pollimyrus isidori "Round Nose Whale" info???

4 posters

Go down

Pollimyrus isidori "Round Nose Whale" info???  Empty Pollimyrus isidori "Round Nose Whale" info???

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-23, 12:56

Does anyone have any info on this fish? I can't seem to find much online and found them on aquabid through WetSpot. I am considering adding it to one of my tanks and wonder how well it would do prior to purchase.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Pollimyrus isidori "Round Nose Whale" info???  Empty Re: Pollimyrus isidori "Round Nose Whale" info???

Post  DMD123 2014-07-23, 13:07

They are pretty cool looking fish sometimes called a 'baby whale'. I remember keeping one when I was a teenager in the hobby. It was a peaceful but shy fish and it never took to any sort of prepared food for me. I was always having to feed it live tubifex worms.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Pollimyrus isidori "Round Nose Whale" info???  Empty Re: Pollimyrus isidori "Round Nose Whale" info???

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-23, 13:25

From what I've read there is the baby whale which is smaller than the round nose whale species. I'm glad they are shy-er because I want to add it to my 75 gallon community tank. Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2014-07-23, 13:37

I think they stay pretty small so it should do well with others as long as you dont have any real small stuff like guppies or neons.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-23, 13:49

I have 3 jumbo black neons but my featherfin cleaned out any small fish I had.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2014-07-23, 19:18

You might give Wetspot a call and talk to their staff and see if they have anything to share. I know when I bought my L. robertsi they shared some great info with me.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-23, 21:35

I sent them an email Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-07-24, 11:57

Fish of this type are very sensitive to water quality. They are used at ornamental fish farms as canaries in the mine shaft. They are the first to be hit by water quality. So if the baby whales start having problems on the system of water, fix it before hundreds of thousands of fish are compromised.

I only recommend this fish to someone who has a very stable tank.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

http://www.aquariumcoop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-24, 11:59

Cory, am I wrong in my understanding that baby whales and round nose whales are different fish? From what I was reading they are similar in markings but are different sizes. My 75 gallon I wanted to put it in has been set up for almost 3 years.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-07-24, 12:05

You're correct that they are different. However basically all Mormyrids are sensitive. Whether it's an elephant nose, baby whale etc.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-24, 12:10

The "Baby whale" is Petrocephalus bovei and the "Round Nose Whale" being Pollimyrus isidori?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-24, 12:11

Aquarium Co-Op wrote:You're correct that they are different. However basically all Mormyrids are sensitive. Whether it's an elephant nose, baby whale etc.

Oh okay, so tank mates and feeding wise with stable water parameters what do you suggest? I'm trying to research as much as possible but not finding too terribly much. :/
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-07-24, 12:11

I'd say there a few different species that get sold as "baby whale". It's whatever trade name the wholesalers give it that week.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Aquarium Co-Op 2014-07-24, 12:13

Wide bodied fish. Angels, black neons, barbs, etc. Slimline fish like neon tetras, cardinals, otocinclus etc could fall prey to it. For feeding they are heavy carnivores and will take to pellets eventually but the key is to feed them after the light is out. They'll come out when the light is on to feed but that is a sign they are starving. Typically frozen foods such as bloodworms, live blackworms and some form of pellet in their diet is best.
Aquarium Co-Op
Aquarium Co-Op
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2014-07-24, 12:18

Tank mates would all be wide bodied. My featherfin took out anything that could fit in his mouth already. I currently feed him frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and southern delight veggie krill as well as other fish get southern delight tropical pellets and a few pinches of flake food for the small mouthed ones.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down