Best Freshwater Aquarium Store /Lighting

+3
DMD123
Madness
CherokeeNative
7 posters

Go down

Best Freshwater Aquarium Store /Lighting Empty Best Freshwater Aquarium Store /Lighting

Post  CherokeeNative 2012-11-06, 22:26

Hi all. I am a newbie having just purchased a 55 gal. from Madman - thanks Madman Very Happy for the awesome deal. Anyhoooo - I am in hunt for my equipment, plants and fish. I live in Olympia and I am wondering where the best freshwater aquarium store is in relation to where I live? We don't mind driving, but closer is always better with today's gas prices. Also, I am in search of a 1x54watt T5 6700 light fixture that will sit above the tank - hopefully the type that is elevated above the tank but not the hanging kind. I don't mind buying it on line, but I am having a heck of a time finding the hood w/bulb fixture...so any links you could send me that has those would be great too. I am going for the planted tank BTW. Thanks!!!

CherokeeNative
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Best Freshwater Aquarium Store /Lighting Empty Re: Best Freshwater Aquarium Store /Lighting

Post  Madness 2012-11-06, 23:04

whistle Its Madness whistle

Laughing
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Best Freshwater Aquarium Store /Lighting Empty Re: Best Freshwater Aquarium Store /Lighting

Post  DMD123 2012-11-06, 23:33

I like Madman. haha
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CherokeeNative 2012-11-06, 23:39

Embarassed Did I say something wrong? I am missing it - but I am glad it's funny. punk

CherokeeNative
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-11-06, 23:44

Why not something like this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Time to get away from the old T5's and embrace LED's. Honestly could not tell you how this works with plants, but nice, cool, modern fixture with legs to support it up off the top. Its a good idea to also consider the life span and price of T5's over the course of its lifetime. So an LED fixture may seem steep now but the cost to operate will be cheaper in its lifespan.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness 2012-11-07, 00:29

CherokeeNative wrote: Hi all. I am a newbie having just purchased a 55 gal. from Madman - thanks Madman Very Happy for the awesome deal. Anyhoooo - I am in hunt for my equipment, plants and fish. I live in Olympia and I am wondering where the best freshwater aquarium store is in relation to where I live? We don't mind driving, but closer is always better with today's gas prices. Also, I am in search of a 1x54watt T5 6700 light fixture that will sit above the tank - hopefully the type that is elevated above the tank but not the hanging kind. I don't mind buying it on line, but I am having a heck of a time finding the hood w/bulb fixture...so any links you could send me that has those would be great too. I am going for the planted tank BTW. Thanks!!!

Its Madness, not Madman. Smile Only D thinks its funny cause he is a jocolor Woot Woot LMFAO
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-11-07, 01:20

Oh yeah forgot to mention, I like to joke. jocolor But its all in good nature.

what exactly do you mean jocolor Woot Woot LMFAO ?

Dont you really mean [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-11-07, 01:26

Back on track. The light fixture is needed for a standard 4 foot 55gallon tank, right?

And as to best store in the Olympia area I really dont know. There is always The Wet Spot in Portland if you want all out awesome but a bit of a drive. Aquarium Paradise in Lakewood is not too bad but still a drive. The only store I know of down in that area that I liked was the Petsmart in Lacey. This store is one of their flagship stores and it carries things that many others dont, including large fish tanks. But otherwise typical Petsmart with not a whole lot outside the big box pet store offerings. A Place for Pets in Burien is probably one of my favorites but again quite a drive for you.... scratch
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2012-11-07, 10:04

Here's a map of stores that one of the members made of local fish stores...I only wish I lived over on that side of the mountains to have so many stores and shops available to even check out...have fun

cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  iandraco 2012-11-07, 10:06

welcome to the forum.
iandraco
iandraco

Back to top Go down

Post  CherokeeNative 2012-11-07, 21:59

madness wrote:
CherokeeNative wrote: Hi all. I am a newbie having just purchased a 55 gal. from Madman - thanks Madman Very Happy for the awesome deal. Anyhoooo - I am in hunt for my equipment, plants and fish. I live in Olympia and I am wondering where the best freshwater aquarium store is in relation to where I live? We don't mind driving, but closer is always better with today's gas prices. Also, I am in search of a 1x54watt T5 6700 light fixture that will sit above the tank - hopefully the type that is elevated above the tank but not the hanging kind. I don't mind buying it on line, but I am having a heck of a time finding the hood w/bulb fixture...so any links you could send me that has those would be great too. I am going for the planted tank BTW. Thanks!!!

Its Madness, not Madman. Smile Only D thinks its funny cause he is a jocolor Woot Woot LMFAO

OOPS - LOL haha I totally get it now. Sorry MadNESS. ROFLMAO at my stupidity.

CherokeeNative
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  CherokeeNative 2012-11-07, 22:00

DMD123 wrote:Oh yeah forgot to mention, I like to joke. jocolor But its all in good nature.

what exactly do you mean jocolor Woot Woot LMFAO ?

Dont you really mean [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

GOOD, I love a jokester. Keep it coming....I am not easily offended.

CherokeeNative
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  CherokeeNative 2012-11-07, 22:02

DMD123 wrote:Why not something like this:
Time to get away from the old T5's and embrace LED's. Honestly could not tell you how this works with plants, but nice, cool, modern fixture with legs to support it up off the top. Its a good idea to also consider the life span and price of T5's over the course of its lifetime. So an LED fixture may seem steep now but the cost to operate will be cheaper in its lifespan.

You know, I thought about considering LEDs, but I didn't know whether they would work for a planted tank. I am searching for a 1x54W 48" 6700k light for the top of the 55 gal. tank. What would I buy in the form of an LED fixture that was equivelant? I opened up a web page on LED lighting and needless to say, my eyes glazed over. LOL

CherokeeNative
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  CherokeeNative 2012-11-07, 22:04

DMD123 wrote:Back on track. The light fixture is needed for a standard 4 foot 55gallon tank, right?

And as to best store in the Olympia area I really dont know. There is always The Wet Spot in Portland if you want all out awesome but a bit of a drive. Aquarium Paradise in Lakewood is not too bad but still a drive. The only store I know of down in that area that I liked was the Petsmart in Lacey. This store is one of their flagship stores and it carries things that many others dont, including large fish tanks. But otherwise typical Petsmart with not a whole lot outside the big box pet store offerings. A Place for Pets in Burien is probably one of my favorites but again quite a drive for you.... scratch

Lakewood sounds great - not too far, and Portland will have to be a day trip I talk hubby into. I am just getting him revved up for aquariums so once he gets bit with the bug, I am sure I will be able to talk him into a Portland trip. LOL. Yes, all I have been able to find near me is Petsmart in Lacey - they aren't bad, but the people don't know anymore than I do. Thanks for the tips...I am off to Lakewood this weekend. :-)

CherokeeNative
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  CherokeeNative 2012-11-07, 22:06

cichlid-gal wrote:Here's a map of stores that one of the members made of local fish stores...I only wish I lived over on that side of the mountains to have so many stores and shops available to even check out...have fun

Wow, that's a list. Thanks for the link, I am going surfing to see which are the closest. Thanks!!!

CherokeeNative
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-11-07, 22:45

I took a look at the list myself. A few places on the list are not open anymore. Not sure who made the map but it could use a bit of updating. So I would recommend calling before making any long trips out.... just in case.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CherokeeNative 2012-11-08, 09:50

Thanks DMD. I am going to take a drive to the Lakewood store tomorrow and see what they have. I am anxious to get moving on this, and I have a 4 day weekend starting tomorrow so plan on spending my days setting the tank up. I am still perplexed whether to go with LEDs and will hopefully be able to gather more information from the Lakewood store on whether they will work with a planted aquarium. I eventually plan on going with the CO2, but I am holding off on that until I get the rest put together and under control. It's quite an investment so gotta do things in increments. LOL But if I am going to invest a bunch of money in plants, I want to make sure I can sustain them - I hate flushing money. I am hungry for advice so anything you want to share - will be highly appreciated.

CherokeeNative
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Seattle_Aquarist 2012-11-08, 10:56

Hi CherokeeNative,

Most LED fixtures that I have tested do not have output in the temperature/spectrum (K rating) we need for a planted aquarium, they are designed for marine/reef type tanks. In addition, the PAR rating (light output in the spectrum needed for plant growth) of most LED fixtures are insufficient for planted tanks. GSAS has a PAR meter and I am currently working on an article for the GSAS newsletter, Northwest Aquaria, on LED fixtures for planted tanks including some exciting information on retrofit kits.

I believe in one of my PM's I recommended avoiding LED's. For planted aquariums T5HO fixtures currently provide the best bang for the buck. Light, in the proper spectrum and intensity is one of the key requirements for success with a planted aquarium. An LED fixture with insufficient output or output in the wrong spectrum greatly increases the likelihood of failure.
Seattle_Aquarist
Seattle_Aquarist
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2012-11-08, 11:46

buy your equipment first (co2 if you decide to go that way) then all your plants. you will be more content with the results than waiting for future equipment to come. nothing is worse to me than maintaining a tank that is a half what you want it to be. its frustrating to maintain a half finished idea.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CherokeeNative 2012-11-09, 00:18

Seattle_Aquarist wrote:Hi CherokeeNative,

Most LED fixtures that I have tested do not have output in the temperature/spectrum (K rating) we need for a planted aquarium, they are designed for marine/reef type tanks. In addition, the PAR rating (light output in the spectrum needed for plant growth) of most LED fixtures are insufficient for planted tanks. GSAS has a PAR meter and I am currently working on an article for the GSAS newsletter, Northwest Aquaria, on LED fixtures for planted tanks including some exciting information on retrofit kits.

I believe in one of my PM's I recommended avoiding LED's. For planted aquariums T5HO fixtures currently provide the best bang for the buck. Light, in the proper spectrum and intensity is one of the key requirements for success with a planted aquarium. An LED fixture with insufficient output or output in the wrong spectrum greatly increases the likelihood of failure.

Thank you Roy. I am going with the fixture you suggested. I've got a couple places lined up for the weekend to go equipment shopping and the T5HO is on the list, 6700k, 54w. Very Happy

CherokeeNative
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  CherokeeNative 2012-11-21, 12:25

Thanks for all of the feed back.

I went to Aquarium Paradise in Lakewood two weekends ago per DMD123's advice. Very helpful owner and took the time to show me the set ups of his freshwater tanks, explaining what to do and not do. He set me up with what I needed to get the tank up and running and it is now cycling. He sold the same substrate I wanted but he was honest in saying he couldn't match PetCo's price - he's charging nearly 30$ for a 20lb bag of Eco-Complete and PetCo is having a sale for $17 per 20lb bag. I like honesty and will definitely be using his store for future aquatic purchases. Thanks for the lead DMD123.

CherokeeNative
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down