55 Gallon Planted Aquarium Lighting Questions

Go down

55 Gallon Planted Aquarium Lighting Questions Empty 55 Gallon Planted Aquarium Lighting Questions

Post  Guest 2013-07-28, 19:21

I currently have a 55 gallon planted tank set up.

A little info about the tank before I ask my question

Heavily planted
10 pound co2 with regulator, solenoid, on a timer comes on two hours before lights turns off one hour before lights do
Dose dry ferts E.I. method
Rena xp4 filter, AC110, AC 50
300 watt hydor inline heater
Inline co2 atomizer
4x65 watt PC light fixture runs for 6 hours

My question.....

I recently ran my 4x65 bulbs for 6 hours a day and i get BBA and green spot

I am upgrading this fixture to a 4x54 t5ho fixture

I was thinking that I would run 2 bulbs for a 1.5 hours then all 4 bulbs for 3 hours then 1.5 hour with just 2 bulbs (total of 6 hours)

Any thoughts on a good photo period for my lights on this tank?

Back to top Go down

55 Gallon Planted Aquarium Lighting Questions Empty Re: 55 Gallon Planted Aquarium Lighting Questions

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-07-28, 21:17

I have a 55 gallon planted tank and I am running a 216 watts T5. I had the same algae problems as you mention, but i have since cut back on my lighting. My light is programed as follows:

8:00-1:00 x2 bulbs
12:00-5:00 x2 bulbs

jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

55 Gallon Planted Aquarium Lighting Questions Empty Re: 55 Gallon Planted Aquarium Lighting Questions

Post  Guest 2013-07-29, 04:26

WOW! You guys are using a lot of light, If your having any kind of algae issues and can not elevate the issue i would try floating plants if you dont already have them. These plants will help consume excess energy/food, in turn slowing algae growth.

BHA (black hair algae) isn't really an algae but a bacteria. The growth of BHA can be slowed down and perhaps eradicated completely by playing around with carbon supplements & or injected CO2.

Most excessive algae (and BHA) outbreaks seem to be caused by imbalances in chemistry; micro nutriances , lighting, ECT...

For your main question; You should play around with your photo periods if you wish to eleviate excessive algae growth. Your using a lot of light. I would probably try something like this; half your lights coming on at like 8am.... The other half coming on at 11:30am, then turning off at 2pm. Your last light clicking off at 9pm.

If you get excessive algae growth then shorten the periods of each timer by either a half hour to an hour. If you continue getting a lot of algae growth you may have to just use half the lights your purchasing for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down