Freshwater Substrate

2 posters

Go down

Freshwater Substrate Empty Freshwater Substrate

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2010-10-07, 18:43

I know I have talked to a few about this but I'm not sure what thread it was on and thought I might get some new opinions. So here we go.

I was wondering what kind of substrate would be the best for Dwarf Cichlids. I love the look of black sand so I kind of want to go that route. But I am not sure what brand would work the best. Or also, if you can use sand that is intended for salt water tanks in a freshwater tank. Or if they are treated differently and are unable to work in opposite atmospheres?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Freshwater Substrate Empty Re: Freshwater Substrate

Post  Betty 2010-10-07, 20:44

What sort of Dwarf cichlids? Do they dig? I used to keep my P. saulosi in a tank with Tahitian Moon Sand. I like the look of it, but it's a bit pricey compared to buying sand at non-pet stores. There is a black blasting sand that some use, but I've read it can be sharp and might not be a good choice for fish that dig or sift sand. I don't have any experience with it, so I can't say for sure.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2010-10-07, 20:48

I don't have the cichlids yet, nor is the tank set up yet. So that's why I am asking questions now so that I can set it up. I like the looks of your tank! It's only a 30 gallon so the tahitian moon sand would probably work and be alrighty. I just wonder how many pounds I would need to put enough in for my tank.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2010-10-07, 20:56

I can't remember for sure, it's been so long, but I think I used two bags for my 38 gallon. The bags are 20 lbs.

There is a calculator at the bottom of this page that might help you if you know the dimensions of the tank. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2010-10-07, 21:14

I put the calculations in and it said for 1.5" deep I should have 38 lbs. So two bags would be enough for me. I had found a site for it somewhat cheap but can't remember what it was now. Hello Google Smile lol
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2010-10-07, 21:27

A couple of things about the TMS, this was just my experience... it took a lot of rinsing to get it clean -- I like the sand to be really clean before I add it to the tank, so I don't have any clouding of the water. And I feed NLS which makes the fish poop a light brown/orangish color and it really shows on that black sand.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2010-10-07, 21:39

That's good to know. I think the poop will show on anything unless it's tan or brownish colored. My boyfriend has white in his tank and the poop shows on it too.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2010-10-07, 21:40

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Does this look like the correct sand?
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2010-10-07, 22:01

That looks like it. If you are near a Petsmart or Petco, you can go take a look at it before you order any, to make sure it's what you really want.

Some of the other local fish stores also carry a different type of black sand that you can buy in bulk. You might want to check that out also. Maybe someone else can help with this -- I think A Place for Pets and Aquarist World is where I've seen it, but I'm not sure?
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2010-10-07, 22:10

Alright Thank you Smile I live about an hour from Petco or Petsmart. But I may be that way on monday.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down