play sand substrate?

4 posters

Go down

play sand substrate? Empty play sand substrate?

Post  stevieB 2010-06-15, 07:54

been reading online about using play sand for plants and like always gettin mixed results. i was wondering if anybody have used play sand as a substrate for plants. i just like that grey color

stevieB
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

play sand substrate? Empty play sand substrate?

Post  Guest 2010-06-15, 10:02

I have used Play sand before from Lowes and Home depot, with sand from Lowes I had better results. Sand need to be washed and boiled. HD sand have too much crap in it, so do't use it you will have algae outbreak.Sad
With any sand substrate you need to have Malaysian trumpet snails.
They never eat any plants, unless plants are already dead. I don't see them most of the day, as they root through the substrate for missed food or rotting vegetation. They are GREAT for planted tanks, keeping the roots of the plants healthy by moving the substrate around and keeping things from getting stagnant. A great addition for any planted tank!
The sand by it's self dose not have any nutrients for the plants but after about six month fish, left over food, dead plants and all that good stuff will get nutrients for the plants.
Good luck.

Back to top Go down

play sand substrate? Empty Re: play sand substrate?

Post  stevieB 2010-06-15, 12:08

thanks for the info. were you using quikrete?

stevieB
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kingstature 2010-06-15, 13:44

stevieB wrote:thanks for the info. were you using quikrete?

STEVE, Go to home depot and get the Lane Mountain 100% Silica sand its a little lighter in color than play sand and you will still have to rinse it but wont have to boil the crap outta of it.. Its like 8 dollars for a 100lbs.. I have even dumped this straight into a running aquarium ( Dont Recommend if there are fish in it) and it was crystal Clear in ten minutes... Never had a problem with this sand and it makes an excellent PH buffer... Do not buy the play sand that stuff is made for sand boxes and cat chit... king
Kingstature
Kingstature
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashley 2010-06-15, 14:42

Agree ^^^ Definitely use the silica sand. You will have to add nutrients for the plants but You just have to rinse it off really quick (we used a large rubbermaid) and dump it right on in!
Ashley
Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2010-06-15, 15:46

i have play sand in my 55 gallon. i just rinsed it a bit in a bucket then poured it in, works great and is really clean

Back to top Go down

Post  Gosu 2010-06-15, 15:59

play sand in my 20gal and half play sand/half argonite crushed coral in my 55gal and 50/50 playsand/tank sand in the 80gal works great, enjoy the natural look even though ive only got 1 real plant Razz
Gosu
Gosu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down