sandnuka
Adonijah
Fyurae
VsKitchen
10 posters

Go down

Cleaning Substrate - Gravel vs Sand Empty Cleaning Substrate - Gravel vs Sand

Post  VsKitchen 2011-12-31, 13:44

I seem to recall this conversation (or one that touched on it) but couldn't find it, so I'm starting this thread. Smile

When vacuuming the sand, do you loose portions of it? Is it a matter of care or technique? I seem to recall someone saying that it gets stirred up but settles withing a couple hours.

I already know that the lighter weight gravel can be swirled around in the tube but rarely will go all the way through the tube.

So what are your preferences and experiences with these two types of substrate and thier ease of cleaning?

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Cleaning Substrate - Gravel vs Sand Empty Re: Cleaning Substrate - Gravel vs Sand

Post  Fyurae 2011-12-31, 15:31

I rarely use much of mine, but I have to be careful because I don't have a pre-fab vacuum, I just have a chunk of garden hose. So it doesn't have a wider column on the end to impede the suction.

My substrate is mostly sand I've collected from the creek. I rinse it with a garden hose in a bucket outside by agitating, counting to five, and dumping the water out. That way, the sand that settles easily is mostly all that's left behind... Meaning very little that gets sucked up easily. I think I would do this for even aquarium sand or play sand. It just makes life easier when you are like me and constantly digging things up and moving them around.

So, for the most part my sand, if really stirred up, settles out within fifteen minutes or so with water movement. The water stays a bit cloudy after that, but not bad.

I like planted tanks, and cories, which prompted me to switch to sand. For a more natural look. But those things aside, I still would never go back to gravel if I could at all avoid it.
Fyurae
Fyurae
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Cleaning Substrate - Gravel vs Sand Empty Re: Cleaning Substrate - Gravel vs Sand

Post  Adonijah 2011-12-31, 20:17

I like the sand because poop doesn't get 'disguised' by rocks and small shadows with gravel. I find that on the side where my power head is, is mostly where most of the poop will settle, so it makes cleaning a breeze. I just move two decorations and as long as my vac is close, it'll suck it up(assuming pumps,hobs are turned off).

Moral of my ramblings is this, poop is more visible on sand and if you suck any of it up, you can clean the sand and reuse if you'd like. Keep in mind if you have a faucet attachment for your python with sand you might get sand down your sink or worse your disposal, I have been known to use a small metal strainer with cheesecloth I reuse. I have sense moved the sand filled tank where I no longer empty the tank with this method.

Very Happy
Adonijah
Adonijah
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-01-01, 04:46

I think cleaning sand is waaaaay easier than cleaning gravel.... stuff seems to settle deep in the gravel and almost get to the bottom of the tank... so you have to really get that vacume down there.... where as sand all the junk rests on top..... so you just hover the vacume over and it sucks right up.... dont go digging the vacume in the sand like you would gravel, you would lose tons of sand and it would stir up everywhere..... just hover.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2012-01-01, 05:49

sand also needs to be moved around periodically. something like once every 8 weeks to prevent harmful chemicals from building up.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2012-01-01, 12:14

Very interesting guys.

All good tips for using sand and maintaining it well. It's really helping my understanding of the logistics and practicality of using sand. On a small tangent - that's part of what I love about this site, the sharing and communication. Smile I'm feeling the love peeps! Not bad for 1 cup of coffee Laughing

I didn't realize that harmful chemicals would build up in it though - I wonder if substrate burrowing livestock would take care of that or if it needs to be manually done, is it just the agitation or does it need to be a certain amount?

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-01-02, 09:38

Malaysian trumpet snails will prevent gas pockets from forming in the sand and they will oxygenate plant roots and eat dead plant matter(will not eat live plants). I find sand easier to deal with, it always seemed no matter how many time I shoved the vacuum in to the gravel I still couldn't get it clean. Sand is more natural looking and not to mention more economical.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-01-02, 15:27

Having just emptied my 210g of all its gravel, I am considering the switch over to sand. I find a ton of food and waste in the gravel, whereas my 2.5g with sand it sits right on top for an easy clean up. The one thing I do not like about the 2.5g sand is that it is ultra fine. I am switching it out to a little bigger grain so it does not stir up so easily.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2012-01-03, 02:09

I'll be the maverick here. I like gravel better. I don't find it hard to clean at all. I can jam the gravel vac into it and suck up the waste with out sucking out lighter sand. It hides the waste untill it's tank cleaning day (wednesday) instead of settling on top like sand. It isn't small or light enough for my filters to suck it up and give me trouble. I also like that it's generally smoother than sand and less likely to scratch my glass when someone thinks they are helping me clean the glass with the mag cleaner.
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2012-01-03, 02:14

mix the sand types. i went and got sugar sized argonite and then mixed it with a crushed coral.. probably 60-40. really love the look. moral of the story is dont be afraid to play in the sand box Razz
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-01-03, 11:54

Anthraxx wrote:mix the sand types. i went and got sugar sized argonite and then mixed it with a crushed coral.. probably 60-40. really love the look. moral of the story is dont be afraid to play in the sand box Razz

Very good idea! My gravel is a mix of two types, so why not sand?
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2012-01-03, 12:34

And it could look very natural (at least to my mind's eye) since there are so many different variables "in the wild" Laughing

I don't feel like I can't get the gravel clean, though since I have dirt under my gravel I sometimes wonder if I'm sucking up some small dirt particles to go with that fish poo. Smile

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Jantilla 2012-01-03, 14:09

I have a glass tank with sand and use the mag float cleaner to clean the glass. I'm wondering how I can get the glass clean near the bottom of the tank close to the sand? I was told not to come close to the sand with the mag float.
Jantilla
Jantilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Adonijah 2012-01-03, 15:44

Jantilla wrote:I have a glass tank with sand and use the mag float cleaner to clean the glass. I'm wondering how I can get the glass clean near the bottom of the tank close to the sand? I was told not to come close to the sand with the mag float.

I went to a LFS asked for something to cover my intake's on my HOB's cuz I was having issues with africans(at the time) getting sand stuck in the hob. They gave me this floss stuff. Since then I've only had it on my hob for maybe 2 hours. But It's nice to hand clean the bottom bits. Smile
Adonijah
Adonijah
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-01-03, 15:49

I clean my sand (pool filter sand) with a regular gravel vac and I can actually plunge the large end into the sand and not suction it up too far, but it does take a little practice. I've also used the technique of just skimming the tube (without the larger vacuum portion attached) over the waste on the sand. This also takes some practice to know how far above the surface to hold the tube to avoid sucking up the sand, but once you figure it out, it's quick and easy.

Here's a video that shows how it's done. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Jantilla, I use my hand to clean the glass near the sand. That way I can feel if any grains of sand are in the way. If you have a tall tank, I know that won't work without getting all wet. Smile
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jantilla 2012-01-03, 15:55

Yep the tank is tall. I was going to clean the bottom during water changes. DMD123 showed me this tool that might work well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Jantilla
Jantilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down