Plant pond problem...

+3
fishloverRon
VsKitchen
Ratlova30
7 posters

Go down

Plant pond problem... Empty Plant pond problem...

Post  Ratlova30 2012-05-04, 08:38

So this summer I wanted to have a pond just to grow duckweed and watermeal for my goldfish. I'm worried about skeeters making it their home. I figured a couple air pumps would solve that problem but the plants aren't going to grow well with so much surface agitation. I thought about maybe have a screen over the top of the pond but I'm worried it will block too much sunlight. Any thoughts? I figured in most ponds, fish are the reason why people don't have big skeeter problems but I don't have room to winter anymore goldfish. Would rosey barbs be able to withstand outside temps in the spring/summer/fall? I don't want to get any fish that would be miserable outside. Obviously during the winter I can bring them inside. I really wish I could just get some more goldies to throw in there but they get too big.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Plant pond problem... Empty Re: Plant pond problem...

Post  VsKitchen 2012-05-04, 10:19

I have a friend in VA who winters her goldies in the pond. She just watches so that it doesn't ice over. The garden zones are the same here as in VA, but I don't know if it would be the same for ponds.

Who on here has a pond? What do you do?

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  fishloverRon 2012-05-04, 13:14

My grandfather in Roanoke Va used to have a shallow pond with goldfish in their backyard. It amazed me as a kid that the fish would survive the winter even with the pond iced over. If they survive there thei will most likely survive anywhere in Va.

Here I have a 27" deep above ground pond which is level with my deck top. My golds over winter just fine here. Even if the surface freezes over, so far it's never been long enough for them to deplet the O2 in their torpid condition.

What city will you be going to in Va, Vs?
fishloverRon
fishloverRon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-05-04, 16:49

I don't like to leave my fish outside to winter, especially if my pond(AKA kiddie pool) won't be in the ground. Even if they could survive I would imagine it being extremely stressful.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2012-05-04, 18:15

@Ron - I'll be going to the Staunton/Waynesboro area. I have friends & family in both towns and haven't settled on an apartment yet so I'm not sure exactly which one. It's north of Roanoke about 1 1/2 hr where I64 splits off of I81 to the east. Roanoke is gorgeous, it definately has a bit more wind and a higher elevation. Where I'm going is at the bottom of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

@Ratlova - It seems like wintering the fish in the pond would be more like thier natural habitat (since they are cold water fish) as long as the area they were in was large enough for thier size. Though you'd need to deal with the logistics of water flow, etc. It seems like if you had something around the sides of the pond to act as a windbreak or something that would help some as well. But I don't know.

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  Fish Addict 2012-05-04, 18:24

MINE GREEN HOUSE!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Fish Addict
Fish Addict
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fish Addict 2012-05-04, 20:04

*mini
.... My auto correct is really really dumb
Fish Addict
Fish Addict
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaman95 2012-05-04, 20:52

you could buy a de icer for them so it does not freeze.http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_07188871000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4
they go on sale a lot down to 25$
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  VsKitchen 2012-05-04, 22:39

@fish addict - what a great idea! I have a friend who just made herself a greenhouse, she said it was super easy. plus side is some fresh flowers/veggies/plant-of-choice.

@aquaman - cool idea Smile

are there any pond owners besides Ron? What are your experiences?

Ratlova - thanks for the great topic Smile I am really curious what you'll end up doing!

VsKitchen

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-05-04, 23:09

Now I want a pond!! And I just expanded my back yard fence too. Hmm............ cyclops
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-05-05, 01:45

Yeah goldfish just aren't going to happen. The more I think about it, it just won't be big enough for full grown goldies and I do not want to put them through being wintered with an above ground pond. De-icer or not, there's no insulation and there won't be any deep water for them to retreat to.

I do not want to build a green house nor do I have the funds to do so.

I appreciate all the ideas everyone has come up with there just has to be another way. I'm gonna do some research on rosey barbs and WCMM see what low temp they can take as they are also a cold water fish. I think mosquito fish are banned in WA but I'll have to check the list.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-05-05, 03:16

My grand father hs a huge 5ft deep pond filled with high quality koi. Thay stay in there all year long.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-05-05, 04:30

This will be a small shallow pool.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jmikeyb82 2012-05-05, 17:06

Well if it's just for the summer how about white clouds? They'll be fine in the cooler temps, unless the spot where the pond's at gonna be in full sun.
jmikeyb82
jmikeyb82
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  jmikeyb82 2012-05-05, 17:08

Lol just realized you already thought of wcmm, never mind Laughing
jmikeyb82
jmikeyb82
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down