Lets hatch some eggs !

+4
sandnuka
Ratlova30
aquaman95
Kianna
8 posters

Go down

Lets hatch some eggs ! Empty Lets hatch some eggs !

Post  Kianna 2012-03-23, 16:29

All of sudden my male long fin albino bristlenose started kicking the eggs out of his cave. He's had 8 successful spawns no problem. Nothing different with his tank...can't figure it out.

A month ago I noticed he had a new batch of eggs in his cave. Few days later they were gone....no where to be found. Couple days later I found 2 babies with the egg sac still attached hanging on the glass. So I know they were fertile. He's always been a good papa.

Fast forward.....a couple of days ago I noticed another new batch of eggs in his cave. He's fanning away and taking care of them. Now this morning I find him trying his hardest to get the whole clutch out of his cave. I was able to net the whole clutch up just as he gives them the final boot. No

Anyway I'm gonna try and hatch these myself and thought it would be fun to document them hatching and their progress. He's already taken care of them for 2 days so I got about 3 days I think before they start hatching. That is if they hatch!

Heres a couple of pics I took right after placing them in the breeder box this morning.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Kianna
Kianna
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Lets hatch some eggs ! Empty Re: Lets hatch some eggs !

Post  aquaman95 2012-03-23, 16:40

if they make it i want some
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-03-23, 19:41

He's probably like "These ain't my kids! All the fish in the hood said youz been playin round on me. Take care yo own kids"

lol!
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaman95 2012-03-23, 19:45

Plus One
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-23, 21:42

LOL.... @ ratlova......

well thats a bummer he decided to become a dead beat dad.... I wonder why some fish do that?? I had the worst GBR's ever.... they were so great for awhile, then every spawn eggs got eaten by both mom and dad.... WTF?

Good luck hatching them yourself... I had a heck of a time trying to do it, they kept getting fungus and its too hard to pick out the fungus ones so it would spoil the whole batch..... Glad to see the pictures and excited to see the results.. please keep us in the loop . Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-03-24, 00:04

I hatched a few early broods using the same method you are using and it worked well. (I think I posted photos way back when... before Dad figured out how to do it on his own.)

It's really cool to see how fast they develop. Good luck! Smile
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kianna 2012-03-24, 14:17

Ratlova30 wrote:He's probably like "These ain't my kids! All the fish in the hood said youz been playin round on me. Take care yo own kids"

lol!

sandnuka wrote:LOL.... @ ratlova......

well thats a bummer he decided to become a dead beat dad....

Too funny! I think he's decided he's not cut out for the family life and will forever remain a bachelor. Head Wall

Betty wrote:I hatched a few early broods using the same method you are using and it worked well. (I think I posted photos way back when... before Dad figured out how to do it on his own.)
I thought I remembered seeing it somewhere! I found where you posted pics back in Nov 2010 of hatching some in a breeder box. It did answer one question that I had "Will they get through the slats in the box"? It looked like in your pictures that they don't. Not a big deal if they do cuz its just a tank of long fin albino bristlenose anyway.

What I don't understand is why is he kicking them out? He's not a new papa and its not one or two bad eggs its the whole clutch.
Kianna
Kianna
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-24, 14:59

Kianna wrote:What I don't understand is why is he kicking them out? He's not a new papa and its not one or two bad eggs its the whole clutch.

Wheres the momma? Did you remove her? or is there a new female in the tank he is tryin to impress maybe?? Like I said, I had a problem with my GBR's that just started eating the eggs... but it couldve been they were just bad eggs everytime..... I know the water parameters werent the best for them. Sad
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-03-25, 10:28

Yeah, that's weird that he would start kicking them out.

Mine never got out through the slats. Spot On I was worrired that there wouldn't be enough circulation, so the first time I had a batch of loose eggs, I put them in a net in the breeder box with the airstone under the net and that worked as well, but it was easier to use the box alone.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kianna 2012-03-26, 10:55

sandnuka wrote:
Wheres the momma? Did you remove her? or is there a new female in the tank he is tryin to impress maybe?? Like I said, I had a problem with my GBR's that just started eating the eggs... but it couldve been they were just bad eggs everytime..... I know the water parameters werent the best for them. Sad

Theres actually 2 mama's- I've got a breeding trio-2 females and the male (plus babies) in the tank. It use to be that both females would lay eggs at the same time (well one right after another) and lately it seems like 1 is laying eggs in the cave and then in a couple of weeks the other female is laying eggs. Maybe he's just tired....LOL. Usually though if he wants a break he doesn't let either female into his man cave.

Heres a pic of one of the mama's

Kianna
Kianna
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kianna 2012-03-26, 11:09

I got behind in posting pics of the eggs. Heres a couple of pics from Saturday-Day 2. I cropped them a bit so that you can see better the little bristlenose forming in there.

Kianna
Kianna
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kianna 2012-03-26, 11:33

Heres some from Sunday Day 3-They've started hatching!

Kianna
Kianna
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-03-26, 15:46

Very cool, looks like they're using their bellies to cruise around like a sled lol.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kianna 2012-03-27, 11:03

They've all hatched (all but 1 or 2) and theres about 35 of the little buggers. I've reduced the air circulation in there a bit...it was blowing them all over the place. They've managed to all wiggle together into a couple of nice little piles as of this morning. Now I'll wait til the yoke sac is gone before their first feeding.

Kianna
Kianna
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-03-27, 12:48

Fantastic photos! Spot On
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-03-27, 13:21

Wow, that is cool!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-27, 15:19

thats so crazy! I love it! cant believe they are already climbing glass walls. lol
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-03-28, 07:59

Very cool. They remind me of the neon marshmallows that are sold as fish bait. Totally cute.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kianna 2012-03-30, 13:03

Its been 3 days since I posted any pictures. Their egg sac is almost gone and I think they've grown alot!

Kianna
Kianna
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-03-30, 13:11

You can tell they are little plecos now. Very cool pics!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaman95 2012-03-30, 13:13

they have grown alot!!whats the plan are you gonna raise them and sell'em or give them away.either way its says you live in lakewood id gladly come get some when 1-2 inches.amazing pics i love watching them get bigger.keep us updated
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2012-03-30, 15:56

wow ya id say theyve grown.. like dmd said they resemble plecos.. instead of little neon fishbait marshmellows.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-30, 16:22

She always has BN plecos for sale.... Smile I remember all her other posts. great prices too. Your doing a good job, that is allot of healthy little guys!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-03-30, 17:11

aquaman95 wrote:they have grown alot!!whats the plan are you gonna raise them and sell'em or give them away.either way its says you live in lakewood id gladly come get some when 1-2 inches.amazing pics i love watching them get bigger.keep us updated

Takes a good while before they get to a decent size.

@Antraxx-I don't know, I can still picture them as neon marshmellows.... lol!

Definitely have taken pleco form though, very cute babies and nice work Spot On
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2012-04-10, 12:11

Kianna, the five little ones that I got from you in hopes of getting some females for my male -- well one died awhile back and the remaining ones turned out to be three males and one female! Just my luck!

The good news is that I found one egg loose in the tank which means they have matured enough to start breeding. cheers Two days later, I found two more eggs. All three are in a breeder box and the first one has a little head and tail. I hope the male has the rest in his log and is figuring out how to do it properly.

It's funny that shortly after you posted this topic, my regular bristlenose who has been a excellent father for several spawns also kicked out a bunch of eggs this time. Shocked
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaman95 2012-04-10, 12:21

Takes a good while before they get to a decent size.
I know im willing to wait i just wanna find some that are to big for filter intake and to small to eat my severum and cons slime.
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down