sandnuka
unconv-reefer
Betty
DMD123
lilfishie
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Another 180 gals of saltwater...like I need any more - Page 2 Empty Re: Another 180 gals of saltwater...like I need any more

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-24, 01:09

Water parameters are still looking good.
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 2.5ppm

I am going to see about getting a small group of small fish to put in it this weekend. Hmmm maybe tomorrow. We'll see what the lfs has.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Another 180 gals of saltwater...like I need any more - Page 2 Empty Re: Another 180 gals of saltwater...like I need any more

Post  dondud 2012-05-24, 03:02

love this HUGE set-up. excited to see what you think of that lighting system
i would love to get there myself.
dondud
dondud
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-05-24, 06:09

That tank is so awesome! if i was going to go saltwater, i would definetly want a tank that size.... very nice job! Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lars on 2012-05-25, 22:02

Lori I love how all your new topics are "New tank" lol, your new new new tank looks awesome, throw some sharks in that monster!
lars on
lars on
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-27, 00:16

No...no sharks. Its not quite big enough for them.

I moved three fish into it today.

I drip acclimated for about two hours. Here they are temp acclimating.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-27, 00:19

The wrasse was scoping the new digs out right away. In and out of every nook and cranny.
Took a little longer for the other two to come out of hiding.

I'll tell you what, that little bursa trigger can get itself into the smallest hole in rock and its funny how they wedge themselves into a rock. After he cameout of the hole in one rock, he made a B-line to another rock and flattened himself against the bottom of it. He was flat against the rock. How he was hanging on and so tight against the rock, was crazy. Took forever to get him off of it.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-05-27, 02:20

Nice your tank is the final push for me to get my 220g running. Love the tommini tang.

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-28, 00:25

Naso2 wrote:Nice your tank is the final push for me to get my 220g running. Love the tommini tang.

Would love to see you set up your 220 saltwater. It really is a fun and rewarding hobby!
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-28, 00:26

Okay so the next two into the tank will be the blue hippo and the orange shoulder tang. I put the trap in the tank today and they have both been in it already. I will wait until next saturday and shut the door on one of them then. I'd like to move the orange shoulder over first then the next week move the blue hippo over. Then last but not least, the purple tang the next week.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession 2012-05-28, 01:23

you might have talked about it but i didnt read through the whole thread whats your running cost so far into this tank?
hobbyorobsession
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-06-01, 23:39

hobbyorobsession wrote:you might have talked about it but i didnt read through the whole thread whats your running cost so far into this tank?

Well, lets see now

The closed loop pump I got for 150.00
The return pump was an xmas gift (free)
Bulkheads $70.00 I got some free so only had to buy a few
Lockline $40.00
the hose and clamps I got from work for about 10.00
The plumbing did cost about 130.00
Paint for the stand $20.00
hardware for the doors on the stand $45.00
Power strips $30.00
New heater $100.00
Skimmer $250.00
Tank for the sump $40.00
acrylic for baffles $18.00
Filter socks $40.00
200 gal box salt $40.00
200 lbs rock $160.00 and a trade of coral valued at $230.00
water last water bill was about $6.00 higher than previous month.
The fish I had, but to get them at an lfs would be approx 330.00 Flamefin Tomini, orange shoulder, blue hippo, Purple tangs, bursa triger and hawaiian saddleback wrass. I didnt pay that much for them. probably paid $220.00.
snails $50.00
And beleive it or not, the stand and tank.....free!

So far just about $1500.00

Now the lights on the other hand are going to run me $2200.00. 3 ecotech radion units.
Some wood for building the stand for the lights and trim the top of the tank, probably another $30.00

I've probably forgotten something.

But so far just over 3600.00.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-06-02, 00:00

So I caught my orange shoulder tang and move him into the 180 tonight. Hope he does okay. The Tomini was chasing him around a bit.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-06-03, 17:07

Everyone is doing great. Getting along.
I caught the male chromis yesterday. He is in the sump until I catch the female. I want to put both of them in the qt until I figure out if I want to keep them or not.
She has gotten to be a real bratt! There is no way I can add another fish to this tank as long as she is in it. They may go into the 180 after all the other fish are in it.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-06-03, 17:10

I have the 40lb bag of sand rinsed. I am going to add a few cups a day just to keep the remaining residue from clouding up the tank.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-06-03, 23:42

YAY!! I caught the female chromis. I am acclimating them both now to the qt/frag tank.

The big trap is now in the 90 to catch the blue hippo tang. I bait it with a sheet of seaweed rubberbanded to a small rock. Let it sit open all week so he gets used to it and keep it baited

Also, you remember that 4 out of the 5 bulkheads from the closed loop system had two nozzles on each one. Well I removed those 4 sets of lockline and changed them out to just one nozzle on each. It looks a lot cleaner and directs a heavier flow across the top of the rocks too.

Here is the area that I added some sand too so far. And a few corals I added.

So the sand bed will be just about the way it is here with just a little more coverage.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-06-09, 01:27

I caught the purple tang tonight. He was acclimated and released into the 180 earlier this evening. He has checked out the entire tank already, but still skittish when I come around. Go figure! LOL!

I have decided I dont want the blue hippo in the 180. I am not going to do sps in that tank, so I can have a couple fish that you cant have sps with. I want a dwarf angel and a butterfly fish. Looking at the rusty dwarf angel. I like that one. Amd the butterfly I would like is the Dot Dash Butterflyfish. We will see if I can find one.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-06-16, 00:00

Thought I would share a video.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-06-16, 00:13

The tank is looking good. Spot On Thanks for the video, I would love to do salt but Im chicken! LMFAO Not really, Im just happy with my freshwater monsters.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaman95 2012-06-16, 01:12

i just yelled wow.That is a mind blowing tank love the living decor of SW tanks
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-06-16, 12:55

Thanks everyone.
There will be more coral going in. I will see about taking video of my other tanks later and post them.
I finally splerged for an ecotech M10 pump for my 75 reef tank. I will get it installed today.

I have everything for the stand for the lights on the 180. I will get it painted black today. Hopefully assembled tomorrow and hang the lights. Then I have to program them.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-06-24, 17:39

I got the stand built saturday and on the tank. Got the lights programmed this afternoon.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-08-13, 23:40

Well had to pull all the fish out about 4 weeks ago. Couple of them were showing signs of ick! Suspect Unfortunately, I couldnt catch a couple before they passed.
So most of them are in QT going thru hyposalinity right now. Going to do another 5 weeks of treatment and then start raising the salinity in qt over the next two weeks. Keep them in qt another 6 weeks to make sure they are doing okay.

In the meantime, I am going do some water tests this week and make sure parameters are good and start moving coral over this weekend. I think I am going to go an easy route and just do lps and very few pieces of sps. I dont want to have to dose this thing too much.

PSAS meeting is this saturday and we are working on ATO system. I can get some ideas on setting one up on all my tanks.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-10-21, 14:01

Well its been a while. Treatment is over and some of the fish are back in the tank.
My orange shoulder tang and Blue hippo tang are back in. I also picked up a mystery wrasse.
Lets hope all goes well from here on out.

Oh, my orange shoulder tang is growing up. The orange over his shoulder is coming in. you can kinda see some grey coming in under his mouth.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2012-10-23, 22:52

That is an awesome setup! I especially like those LEDs, heard good things about them. Someday when I get the funds and right house I have to get into a setup like that! Nice work punk
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-11-20, 01:16

Well with a couple sales this last weekend, I added a few new pieces of livestock to the tank.

I also finally figured out the white balance on my camera. You will see the difference between the first pic and all the rest.

Here are a few pieces that have been in the tank for a while.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2013-04-07, 20:19

Well the 180 came down. Made room for a 250 gal tank.
I know I am crazy.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2