sandnuka
unconv-reefer
Betty
DMD123
lilfishie
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Another 180 gals of saltwater...like I need any more Empty Another 180 gals of saltwater...like I need any more

Post  lilfishie 2012-03-01, 01:45

I already have 330 gals of saltwater tanks running now.
Well this is going to be a slow build.
I picked this 180 gal tank up a few months ago. Yeah, believe it or not, its not set up yet.
Anyway, I wanted to be safe and had a guy come out and add support under my house for it. I still need to repaint the stand. I'm not doing anything fancy, sorry! Its getting repainted semi-gloss black. I also need to get the tank outside to fill it up and make sure it is sound before filling it up in my living room. So, I need to wait for a nice weekend. And someone to help me move it. I am also putting 3/4" sheet of plywood on the stand to set the tank on. So the top of the stand and the plywood need to be cut for the overflow.

The tank is 6' x 2' x 2'. The back and both sides are black. There is a dual overflow on the right side.
There are seven holes drilled across the top back for 1" bulkheads, two holes drilled for 2" bulheads, one hole at bottom center of the back for a 1" bulkhead and one hole for a 3/4" bulkhead at the bottom left corner of the back.
The one on the bottom left corner will be used for draining for water changes.
The two large holes for 1.5" bulkheads are the exhaust for the closed loop.
I am planning on using 5 of the holes up top and the one hole bottom center for the closed loop.
Then the last two up top for returns from the sump.
I have a 47 gal glass tank for a sump. An ATI bubble master 250 protien skimmer.

The closed loop pump is a reeflow dart 3500. I have planned to use an eheim 1262 pump for return pump. I am hooking up a reactor for carbon and one phosban.

Anyway, here is the tank and stand. It needs to be cleaned. It has silicone around every hole that needs to be cleaned off. And some sand and crap that I need to vacuum out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Another 180 gals of saltwater...like I need any more Empty Re: Another 180 gals of saltwater...like I need any more

Post  DMD123 2012-03-01, 13:16

Nice!

Looking forward to the pics of it set up!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Another 180 gals of saltwater...like I need any more Empty Re: Another 180 gals of saltwater...like I need any more

Post  Betty 2012-03-01, 17:02

That will be an awesome setup! I think I would have added that support underneath too.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-03-03, 02:29

I was playing with the rock , setting it up this evening just to get some ideas.
The tank is cleaned out. I still need a couple pieces for the plumbing I think I will also take the doors off the stand and take the hardware off. I will replace the hardware with new. And I think I may get some plastic put down so I can start painting it.

It doesnt look as tall as it is. The big piece on the right at the highest point is 18" tall. I cant wait to start aquascaping this tank

Here are a couple more pieces to add to the scaping. The one on the top left is another big on at about 26-30 lbs and 18" wide.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-03-03, 02:31

Its all in a tub curing. Going thru diatoms and added some snails

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-03-03, 02:34

Have most of the plumbing but still need a couple more pieces. Going back to Home depot this weekend.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-03-04, 01:25

Stopped at Home Depot today and picked up what I think is all I am going to need to finish the plumbing. Also picked up some plexy sheets for the baffles in the sump and silicone. Gonna work on that tomorrow.

I set up all the lockline for the returns

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-03-04, 02:32

I am plumbing in my 54 gal tank to use as a refugium. The 47 gal sump is not big enought for muche more than the skimmer, other equipment and the return pump.
So this is going to be my refugium. I will add sand to it. All the occupants of my 34 gal RSM is going into this tank. That would by my picasso and platinum clowns, a black bar chromis, tail spot blenny, diamond goby and a couple cleaner shrimp and other critters that I find in there.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-03-11, 03:57

A 180 is a great size personally I went with a 220g that is 6" taller. I look forward to reading more. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-03-11, 15:59

I think my rock has cycled.
readings are
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 25ppm

I did a small water change. Will do a water change every 2-3 days to bring the nitrates down.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-03-11, 16:00

Naso2 wrote:A 180 is a great size personally I went with a 220g that is 6" taller. I look forward to reading more. Smile

When the tank gets that tall, its too tall to take care of for me. I would rather have a longer tank than taller.
The 180 is going to be a great size tank for me though.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  unconv-reefer 2012-03-22, 12:01

Hey Lilfishie,

It's been awhile, glad to see you going for a larger tank. All the other tanks doing well?

I still have my tank setup down south but am in moving transition and setting up a 172g (custom size) with 150g remote system. Once it is setup I'll be tearing my other tank down and giving most of my stuff away,
I know you wanted the red Zoas and Green mushrooms, are you still interested.

Can't wait to see how this progresses

Wishing you the best on this build

Last edited by unconv-reefer on 2012-03-22, 12:04; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed Calcium reactor statement as saw you meant carbon)
unconv-reefer
unconv-reefer
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-03-23, 15:41

Thanks for the best wishes. Yeah, let me know what you are going to have available. I am interested in those and probably more.

The build is going slow just because of not having the time. Last saturday and this coming saturday are meetings. But its progressing.

I got some painting done. The rock is cycled. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and nitrates were 25ppm. Did a water change. Will do another one in the near future.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-03-25, 17:23

I got the sump done. Skimmer section is on the right, center will hold a little cheato, thats all. The left is the section that will hold two return pumps. The floats are for an auto top off unit. I need to test that yet.

It is a 47 gal tank, I hope its big enough.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-03-25, 17:39

The inside is painted. The doors will get another coat.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-04-01, 01:50

I moved the tank and had the hole cut in the top of the stand for the overflow and power cords.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-04-01, 01:51

Moved the tank back and got the sump put in the stand.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-04-01, 01:55

wow, it looks to be coming right along.... thanks so much for the pictures and keeping us up to date step by step... its really cool!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-04-01, 13:03

I am getting a little more excited about it. I am a little nervouse about getting the plumbing glued together right.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-04-07, 23:22

Well the doors and stand are painted.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-04-07, 23:24

I am thinking I might make a trim piece for the top. I dont like canapies, but I think the tank needs trim around the top.

For now I guess I will finish up the plumbing.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-04-15, 01:12

I got most of the plumbing glued together today. Going to breakfast tomorrow morning and will hopefully get the rest of the plumbing finished tomorrow. If next weekend is nice and I can find someone to help me carry this thing outside, it will get water tested. then I'll need someone to help bring it back in. Very Happy
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-04-15, 06:02

Looking great! Keep posting bounce
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-04-22, 23:13

cheers The plumbing is DONE!

Hope next weekend in nice enough to get it outside and leak test it.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-04-22, 23:19

Great job!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-04-28, 23:04

Boy I avoided a disaster today. I was in getting water out of my RODI container and heard this...tap tap tap tap tap...and noticed that the two way hose adaptor that connects my RODI unit and the washing machine to the cold water line was leaking. Since I was getting ready to leave, I turned off the cold water and left it at that. While I was at HD I picked up some seals to replace the ones in the two way. Welllllllll, I started to take the two way connector off and it just fell apart in two pieces. If I hadnt turned off the water, I know I would have come home to a flooded house. So back to HD for new connector. I replaced it and all is well now, but that was close!

Well the tank is ready to be moved outside and filled up. Hopefully next weekend is nice. If it is, its going out and getting filled up one way or another.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-04-29, 00:55

Oh man! you are really gettin there.... this has been a long process! but looks like it will all be worth it.... im so excited for you!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-04-29, 16:34

Well it sounds like I am going to just take a risk and set the tank in its permanent place and fill it up. Keep your fingers crossed and pray it doesnt start leaking or bust a seam! pale
Next friday I will have it set in place and start filling. My RODI unit does 100 GPD so it should be filled by sunday noon.
Now I am getting nervous! LOL!
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-05, 00:28

Well got the tank all cleaned up. Finished tightening up the connections to the pump and other odds and ends on the plumbing. Got the shelves moved and the area cleaned up. Its ready to move into place.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-05, 00:28

And here it is. In its place.
I am keeping it off the wall far enough so I have access to the plumbing if I need it. And I am hiding the top off container behind it.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-05, 00:29

And YES it is now officially WET!
There is 50 feet of line running directly from the RODI unit.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-05, 00:30

Picked up a new toy for it too.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-05, 17:38

There is now 25 gals in it. Just another 155 + 25 for the sump to go.
At this rate its going to be next weekend before its full!
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2012-05-06, 00:26

that build is looking awesome. all these salt water tanks im seeing lately are really making me want to take the plunge. could only do a tiny setup but still. anyways keep those pics coming.. cant wait till a year or two from now to see how that thing has grown.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-06, 01:14

Anthraxx wrote:that build is looking awesome. all these salt water tanks im seeing lately are really making me want to take the plunge. could only do a tiny setup but still. anyways keep those pics coming.. cant wait till a year or two from now to see how that thing has grown.

If your serious, I will have a 34 gal Red Sea Max available in the near future. Its been a pretty good tank.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-06, 01:16

There is over 5" of water in the tank. About 41 gals.
Got a ways to got yet.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-06, 20:14

As of half an hour ago, I have 8.5" of water (72gals) of water in the tank

Last edited by lilfishie on 2012-05-06, 20:26; edited 1 time in total
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-06, 20:16

It is up over the bottom exhaust for the closed loop system. The exhaust side fitting on the closed loop pump was leaking, so I removed it and resealed the fitting and hooked it back up. So far, So good!
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-06, 23:19

Well the fill up is on hold for a while. This fitting needs to be resealed. Which means loosening the bulhead. This is the bottom 2" bulkhead that drains to the closed loop pump. Its the same fitting that is leaking on the pump. So I drained what water I needed to into the sump, since I will have to fill it eventually anyway. I'll work on geting the bulkhead loose during the week.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-05-07, 05:12

I feel ya, had a similar problem with some of my pVC pipes.... made me crazy! I ended up gettin some waterproof tape stuff.... works really well.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-07, 10:43

I have the threads wrapped in the plumbing tape. Just isnt enough. I dont think these fittings are quite big enough. They dont fit loose but they screw in all the way real easy, so I dont think the threads are really tight enough.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-09, 23:37

Well I think the fitting is sealed. The water is running again and that fitting is again submerged. I dont see any leaking. Cross your fingers!
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-11, 00:12

We have 82 gals of water in the tank.
Just another 120 gals to go.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-11, 23:50

We have 106 gals in the tank.
I am going to pull the closed loop pump, reseal it and hook it back up and run it tomorrow. I will the the heater in the tank too.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-12, 19:42

There is 130 gals in the tank. I have the closed loop pump reasealed and hooked up and we have running water.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-12, 19:44

And I am mixing salt! Looking to put the rock in it tomorrow. The rock should fill the tank enough to run water into the overflow and into the sump. I have plenty saltwater made up in a holding container to top it off if needed when all the rock is int.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-14, 01:03

Got the rock in and the tank full. I have a couple extra t5 light units I put on it to see what I was doing and get pics.

Full tank shot, left side shot, right side shot and another full tank shot.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  censeoflife 2012-05-14, 12:38

Great build, thanks for updating and sharing.
censeoflife
censeoflife
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-16, 00:49

Okay, here are some new pics of the rockwork.

Its hard to get the depth in the pics.

lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  lilfishie 2012-05-19, 17:43

Well I am anxious to start stocking this thing. Water tests at;
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 5ppm
calc 465
alk 8 dkH
mag 1300
I am buying Ecotech Radion lighting for it. 3 units should give great coverage.
I am putting my 4' MH/T5 unit on it for the meantime. And I am putting a few coral frags in to see how it goes. Will test numerous times over the next couple weeks. Then I am going to start catching fish and moving them over. The first two going in will be the orange shoulder tang and the blue hippo tang.
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next