fishman09
Zerc
finsandfeathers
sandnuka
DMD123
ShortyKiloGyrl
11 posters

Go down

Olympia/Lacey aquarium stores??  Empty Olympia/Lacey aquarium stores??

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2012-01-02, 18:43

I only have two pretty plain LFS around me and other than that I have to drive to Oly or Lacey to get to anything. I'm thinking about making my way up there this month and was wondering if anyone knew of good stores up there? I am looking for freshwater fish. I need help and/or ideas!

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Olympia/Lacey aquarium stores??  Empty Re: Olympia/Lacey aquarium stores??

Post  DMD123 2012-01-02, 22:58

I know it a common store but the Petsmart in Lacey is one of the best. They are one of the larger stores that carries big fish tanks in stock and seem to have a larger fish selection than some Ive seen.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-01-03, 00:48

i would persoannly go the other direction.... south towards portland has some sweet fish shops.
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  finsandfeathers 2012-01-03, 14:29

Yes coming south there are some AWESOME stores with great selection, well worth the drive. Even the Mom & Pop stores in Portland have some amazing stock, the Portland Aquarium club used to do the occassional "shop hop" I'd make the trip up for those. Anyways when I head up north my priority store is Wetspot and the other store if its a day trip I go to is World of Wet Pets

finsandfeathers
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Zerc 2012-01-03, 14:33

Does petsmart carry tanks larger than ~75 gallons? their website says no...
Zerc
Zerc
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishman09 2012-01-03, 14:40

Zerc wrote:Does petsmart carry tanks larger than ~75 gallons? their website says no...

yes. 5 foot 120, 6 foot 125 ,and 4 foot 150
fishman09
fishman09
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2012-01-03, 15:16

What they carry "in store" is frequently limited to 55g and smaller, although I've observed just a couple of stores that carry larger tanks. They can order larger tanks for you though.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-01-03, 21:00

For live stock, I'd avoid everything in Oly / Lacey and order online from the Wetspot ($15 next day via UPS ground) or drive north. I've had terrible luck with Lacey Petsmart's stock (their zebra danios can't even stay alive). I've had slightly better luck with Oly Petco's stock, but I don't buy fish there anymore either.

It seems that the best non-chain LFS in Olympia (in my experience at least), Wild World Aquarium and Reptile, is gone now. I'm not sure when it disappeared... I got my panda corys and my long fin zebras from there and most of them survived.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl 2012-01-04, 02:43

I thought Wild World was gone when I went by the other day Sad I've considered ordering online from wetspot. I just gotta figure out what I want. And I don't want any large groups than 3. I have a 30 gallon I need more fish in, but can't seem to find anything with alot of color that I want. 3 hours is too far for me to drive just for fish. If I had bigger tanks it'd be worth it but my 30 is the only one I want fish for.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DMD123 2012-01-04, 10:27

fishman09 wrote:
Zerc wrote:Does petsmart carry tanks larger than ~75 gallons? their website says no...

yes. 5 foot 120, 6 foot 125 ,and 4 foot 150

This is where I had to go to get my 5 ft 120g. Not a huge selection, but trying to find the 5 footers is pretty difficult.

I still can not believe the warranty on that 120g. Full refund at the store after 2 years because of the cracked frame.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2012-01-04, 13:18

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:I thought Wild World was gone when I went by the other day Sad I've considered ordering online from wetspot. I just gotta figure out what I want. And I don't want any large groups than 3. I have a 30 gallon I need more fish in, but can't seem to find anything with alot of color that I want. 3 hours is too far for me to drive just for fish. If I had bigger tanks it'd be worth it but my 30 is the only one I want fish for.

Yeah... the $24 minimum order doesn't help - $39 minimum shipped when ordering online.

Indeed; the drive to portland and back from my house with our most fuel efficient vehicle (which isn't saying much, unfortunately) would cost me over $30 right there.

I've had good luck with aquabid with priority shipping on various fish - I purchased my Celestial Pearl Danios, Heterandria Formosa, and Endlers that way. Not to mention most of my shrimp and my crayfish. I'm a lot closer to A Place for Pets than you are and I still haven't made it up there. Smile
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  allpapajohn 2013-01-10, 11:34

pbmax wrote:For live stock, I'd avoid everything in Oly / Lacey and order online from the Wetspot ($15 next day via UPS ground) or drive north. I've had terrible luck with Lacey Petsmart's stock (their zebra danios can't even stay alive). I've had slightly better luck with Oly Petco's stock, but I don't buy fish there anymore either.

It seems that the best non-chain LFS in Olympia (in my experience at least), Wild World Aquarium and Reptile, is gone now. I'm not sure when it disappeared... I got my panda corys and my long fin zebras from there and most of them survived.

All of my Zebras form PetsMart have survived and they are all nice and happy. Also my Oto's, Bristlenose Plecos, Guppies and Ghost Shrimp (of which I have about 12 pregnant females) have all survived. The only death I had was a guppy I got was blind in one eye and I didn't notice it but other than that not one other fish has died.
ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:I thought Wild World was gone when I went by the other day Sad I've considered ordering online from wetspot. I just gotta figure out what I want. And I don't want any large groups than 3. I have a 30 gallon I need more fish in, but can't seem to find anything with alot of color that I want. 3 hours is too far for me to drive just for fish. If I had bigger tanks it'd be worth it but my 30 is the only one I want fish for.

I was in there just a couple of days ago. It is most definitely still open. It is straight across from Grocery Outlet on Harrison and about half-way down the shopping strip. They are just very limited on hours. But the selection of corals and inverts was pretty amazing for a shop so small.

allpapajohn
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-01-10, 13:14

allpapajohn wrote:
All of my Zebras form PetsMart have survived and they are all nice and happy. Also my Oto's, Bristlenose Plecos, Guppies and Ghost Shrimp (of which I have about 12 pregnant females) have all survived. The only death I had was a guppy I got was blind in one eye and I didn't notice it but other than that not one other fish has died.

I've had a bit better luck recently with petsmart. They have some nicer plants now and the dwarf frogs and golden wonder killifish I picked up there within the last 6 months are all thriving. It could be that my water is too soft for their live-bearers, but I still can't explain the zebra deaths.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-01-10, 13:17

allpapajohn wrote:
I was in there just a couple of days ago. It is most definitely still open. It is straight across from Grocery Outlet on Harrison and about half-way down the shopping strip. They are just very limited on hours. But the selection of corals and inverts was pretty amazing for a shop so small.

Yeah, I figured that out a while after my earlier post. It would have been nice if they left some sort of notice or something, but maybe the owner wouldn't let them. I never seem to make it over there when they're open. It's always Sunday when I get enough free time to consider fish browsing and they're closed.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Olympia/Lacey aquarium stores??  Empty Wild world

Post  erasmosis 2013-04-22, 06:20

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:I only have two pretty plain LFS around me and other than that I have to drive to Oly or Lacey to get to anything. I'm thinking about making my way up there this month and was wondering if anyone knew of good stores up there? I am looking for freshwater fish. I need help and/or ideas!

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
Wildworld is still around. He just moved. It's now located at harrison and division next to the laundomat, iron rabbit, and the postal store. Across from grocery outlet.
hope this helps!

erasmosis
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-04-22, 09:31

The address woudld be?
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-22, 09:59

On their website at the bottom:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Smile
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-04-23, 11:11

pbmax wrote:On their website at the bottom:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Smile
Gracias!
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down