Platy fry again...

2 posters

Go down

Platy fry again... Empty Platy fry again...

Post  Ratlova30 2011-11-22, 05:55

Livebarers, gotta love em.

So I've got like 16 platy fry that are a couple months old from a previous spawn and they've almost reached the size big enough to not be a source of food for their parents. Then I've got 12ish molly fry I got from ashley and they're growing like weeds, I plan on raising these guys to an age where I can tell the sexes. All of the adult platys are in a 30gal right now but they'll be moved as soon as I buy some new fish for that tank, there's also a gorgeous betta and a pleco that call that tank home. Any-who because I had some platy and molly fry already I figured I wouldn't move any of the prego females to a nursery net when they're ready to birth. I figured I'd scoop out any babies that make it to the fry grass and the rest would be dinner. Well yesterday I saw one fry in the fry grass so I scooped him out and put him in Lightning's spacious aquarium. I figured Lightning would love to babysit, he even tried to kiss the baby a few times but the darn breeder box prevented him from doing so; as you can imagine he was really sad. So then I started thinking it would be nice for that one lone baby to have a friend so I scooped up a prego platy, put her in a breeder net, put a floating fry saver above her and after that was done I saw a baby swimming around in the big tank. So I chased the baby down, put it with the other baby and figured I'd leave the prego platy in the net for a while and see what happens.

So I pear into the breeder net where the prego female is a couple hours later and I see two fry in the baby saver so I'm like cool, I'll take those two out and release mama, well when I took out the baby saver low and behold 30 freaking babies fell out of it. I guess I'm gonna need to set up a fry tank again in the near future. The female that gave birth was a very pale sunburst so I'm hoping the fathers genes, a ruby tiger, will show through as far as his stripes go. They are really cute little babies.

BTW if anyone has any blue platys for sale I'd love to get a couple to add to mine. Blues are one of my favorite coloration's.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Platy fry again... Empty Re: Platy fry again...

Post  DMD123 2011-11-22, 18:58

Congrats on the new fry. Always nice when your fish are thriving!
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2011-11-22, 19:35

Thanks, I saw another baby swimming around in the 30gal and I tried to catch it but it disappeared into the moss and I had to leave for work. I'll see if he's swimming around when I get home. Definitely is fun having babies born even if they do breed like rabbits. Back when I didn't know what a water change was and thought a tank cycled in two days platys were the only fish(all the corys proved to be hardy too) that survived so I've got a soft spot for them.
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down