Grow out tank?

4 posters

Go down

Grow out tank? Empty Grow out tank?

Post  Rick 2011-09-06, 02:36

I've been thinking about setting up a grow out tank for my Angel fish fry. With the number of fish that could be in this tank at one time what would be a great filter system, and what would be a good size tank fot this setup. I have a 150 gal that i'm thinking about useing but I also think that it's over kill. What do you guys use for your grow out tank and hows it set up.

Thanks Rick
Rick
Rick
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Grow out tank? Empty Re: Grow out tank?

Post  DMD123 2011-09-06, 12:47

If I were into breeding projects I would use combos of 20L for the smallest fry and then move them up to 40B when they were bigger. But as is I'm trying to keep things simple so no breeding fish for me.
DMD123
DMD123
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gobluecichlids 2011-09-06, 12:56

use that 150 gallon tank to grow em out, would probably grow 3x faster. Smaller tanks will require more frequent water changes to keep them growing.
gobluecichlids
gobluecichlids
Forum Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-09-06, 13:35

I would go with the 20 gallon meathod. I have used it before. First like 5 to 8 weeks for a 2 dozen or so fry, power feed and do w/c @ 50% everyday. Then move them to something bigger like a 40 breeder,following the same w/c @50% everyday. And slow down there feeding a little.... they'll be of selling size in 3ish months. I had jags that were seelling size in 10 weeks. I know that dmd allready suggested this, but I though I would reiterate, and provid some more detail... there are trace elements in fresh water that's added daily that helps the fry grow much faster... I am useing a 125 to grow out some jag fry now (leaving them with there parents) and the w/c's are costing me a lot of money, 70ish gallons a day. And that dosent include my regular weekly w/c for all my othe tanks. Good luck with whatever meathod you use.

Back to top Go down

Post  leisure_man 2011-09-07, 16:40

Grow out tank needs to grow with the size and quantity of fry. Water change is much easier for most 'fair weather' breeders on smaller tanks. Putting a bunch of 1/4" fry in a 150gal tank makes no sense. The fish will have to travel further to get to the food, vice versa, putting 200+ 1" angels in a 10gal tank is a disaster waiting to happen.

If you only have a 150gal spare tank, you can partition it. Increase the size of the partition where the fry are kept as they get bigger.
leisure_man
leisure_man
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick 2011-09-07, 16:50

I've been useing a 40 gal. breeder and that seems to work best. I'll jusk keep useing that for now. I'm sure I can fine something to use the 150 for. Smile
Rick
Rick
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down