larry.beck
protocl
Spyral
dkpate
10 posters

Go down

Marineland Stealth Pro Heater Alert Empty Marineland Stealth Pro Heater Alert

Post  dkpate 2011-02-13, 02:17

E-mail that was sent to a fellow member on another forum.

"February 11, 2011

Dear Valued PetSmart Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At PetSmart, we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.

Sincerely,

Debbie Gonzalez
Vice President, Brand and Customer Marketing
dkpate
dkpate
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Marineland Stealth Pro Heater Alert Empty Re: Marineland Stealth Pro Heater Alert

Post  Spyral 2011-02-13, 02:30

Rattle mentioned this last week. I have always used these heaters without incident. In fact, I have a 75 that is in use right now, but doesn't seem to be involved in the recall. I wonder?
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Marineland Stealth Pro Heater Alert Empty Re: Marineland Stealth Pro Heater Alert

Post  dkpate 2011-02-13, 02:49

As far as I can tell, it is only the ones that have the red/green light on top, but I am going to PetSmart tomorrow for some Prime, so I will ask them about it, and get back to you guys and gals.

Also, I have had 3 of their heaters crap out on me, and only got one replaced, since I thought they would think I was scamming them if I kept calling, since you don't have to send the old heater back in.

Last edited by dkpate on 2011-02-13, 02:53; edited 1 time in total
dkpate
dkpate
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2011-02-13, 02:51

Thank you for the input.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-02-13, 02:58

I've been using these exclusively, and currently have them on 12 tanks in my house. I've had some die, but never had one stick "on" unlike other brands. I also just called in to have 2 replaced under warranty on Thursday and Marineland didn't mention that they were discontinuing them, but mention that they were out of stock and I could either have Visitherm units shipped immediately or wait about 2 weeks for the Stealth Pro's to be available.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dkpate 2011-02-13, 05:27

On another forum, it was posted that a lady heard the PetSmart employees talking about it yesterday. I am going there tomorrow and I will ask.

I had one overheat, and 2 quit working, all in a years time. Sad Only the ones that were glass or had the red/green light, not the ones with the red dial.
dkpate
dkpate
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2011-02-13, 18:34

Just spoke with a petsmart manager in tukwila.

Return heater unit in original packaging at the same store originally purchased from.
Most if not Petsmart is participating with this recall.

Last edited by protocl on 2011-02-14, 01:09; edited 1 time in total
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Fyurae 2011-02-13, 23:01

I need a different heater for my 30 gallon. It has a 100w that came with the package setup which is laughable, even to keep the tank at 'room' temperature.
Fyurae
Fyurae
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-02-14, 00:55

Went to the Petco in Poulsbo and inquired. Not only have they never heard of the recall, they are actually still selling a variety of the units in the store.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2011-02-14, 03:31

whoa this blows big time
I have two of this heaters a 25W and a 250W
now what heater am I suppose to get from pet smart
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2011-02-14, 03:39

Now, the question is:

what if the new heating units will cause more problems? Explosion.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2011-02-14, 03:51

ah your right
my stealth heaters are working perfectly at the moment
it would suck if I bring a new heater home and messes everything up
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dkpate 2011-02-14, 04:08

I asked today if they were participating in the recall at the Issaquah PetSmart, and they said yes.
dkpate
dkpate
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2011-02-14, 10:36

That sucks i have 1 dead one and one half way dead one that i bought from petsmart and i have no box or anything.. Sad I'll have to call marineland and see what they want to do for me being i don't have all the packaging.
Just in case the other blows i just grabbed a trusty ole 300w Ebo Jaegar from Dr Fosters, that's the one heater i've never had a problem with.. Smile Spendy but i guess you get what you pay for. Smile
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dkpate 2011-02-14, 15:02

They didn't say anything about the packaging when I asked, but I was wondering about that too. I guess I will find out today! I threw all the boxes away when I moved, thinking I wouldn't need them. Sad I suppose I should just stay a hoarder....*sigh*
I have 5 heaters to return, should be fun....
dkpate
dkpate
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kianna 2011-02-14, 15:45

I've been following this marineland thing for a while. I've returned 10 heaters or so over this last year....visi-therms, pros and stealths. Marineland has been great each time but I'm starting to get tired of all the hassles.

Plus look what has happened to others...

1. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Kianna
Kianna
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2011-02-14, 16:10

Well...being a 'hoarder' is not all bad! Lol
members should try returning the units without packaging. A volatile unit is a VOLATILE unit, with or without packaging.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dkpate 2011-02-14, 16:16

I talked to a girl at PetSmart on the phone, and she said it doesn't have to have the packaging, but she seemed to think it was only the Stealth Pro's that have the red/green indicator light, not the ones with just the red dial.
dkpate
dkpate
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2011-02-14, 18:27

Ahh.
Thank you for the shot of clarification.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-02-15, 02:08

The ones with the red dial and no light were the original Stealths.... I've got one of those that came with a used tank that still keeps the temps within .5 degree +/-. Beautiful!

larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dkpate 2011-02-15, 02:11

Well, some of my friends have gone back to the pet stores and gotten money back or gift cards. Smile
dkpate
dkpate
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2011-02-15, 02:14

im thinking about returning both units, head over to APFP for the jagerbombs...i mean jager heaters.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2011-02-15, 02:21

dkpate wrote:Well, some of my friends have gone back to the pet stores and gotten money back or gift cards. Smile

no questions asked?, from the clerks?
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2011-02-15, 02:27

protocl wrote:im thinking about returning both units, head over to APFP for the jagerbombs...i mean jager heaters.

do you how much the the jager heaters are going for?
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2011-02-15, 02:31

sidekicking wrote:
protocl wrote:im thinking about returning both units, head over to APFP for the jagerbombs...i mean jager heaters.

do you how much the the jager heaters are going for?

hmm, not sure. i think around 35. i think. imma give them a call tomorrow.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-02-15, 02:32

I'm really bummed about this, as I just invested a lot in getting the Stealth Pro's and to be honest, I've really liked them. Considering going with the Visitherms now, and my other consideration would be the Jagers. What's everybody else thinking?

BTW, protocl, Kevin is replacing the Stealth Pro's with the Aqueon Pro's - I'm not sure I like them but I don't have any hands-on experience with them.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2011-02-15, 02:36

Does anyone know if the petsmart in south center is taking the heaters back with out the packaging or receipt
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2011-02-15, 02:54

So, Kevin no longer stock jagers? Bummer.

Tukwila petsmart - manager said packaging is needed. Did not mention receipt. I'd call to confirm.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-02-15, 02:59

I'm not sure that he isn't carrying Jager's, I had just asked what we was going to carry to replace the Stealth Pro's.

I'd like to go with those titanium units with external thermostats but too expensive to put that on every tank. I have a Ranco thermostat on my 125g and it always make me comfortable knowing I'm not going to cook my tank.
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2011-02-15, 03:05

For sure, kevin's selection isn't broad.
But I do want a ranco unit with 2 controlling ports!
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larry.beck 2011-02-15, 03:10

protocl wrote:But I do want a ranco unit with 2 controlling ports!

That's exactly what I bought. John at JEHMCO was invaluable as I was setting up my temp controller and my air system. I hadn't worked with piston pumps in the past and had a ton of questions that he guided me through. Highly recommended!
larry.beck
larry.beck
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2011-02-15, 03:29

protocl wrote:So, Kevin no longer stock jagers? Bummer.

Tukwila petsmart - manager said packaging is needed. Did not mention receipt. I'd call to confirm.

Oh man I'm screw if I need the packaging
I never save anything
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dkpate 2011-02-15, 03:41

All of the people I know who took them back didn't even buy the heaters at PetSmart, and didn't have receipts OR packaging. Best thing to do it call and ask. I know the Issaquah PetSmart is taking the heaters without the other stuff.
I bought my heaters on sale from Foster & Smith, so this might work out to my advantage. Wink
dkpate
dkpate
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2011-02-15, 03:46

Jäger/300 watts for $27 on amazon!
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2011-02-15, 10:35

That's a good deal, i just got my new Jager 300w for $32.99 off Dr Fosters.. I would have looked for a better deal but i was already doing a huge fosters order.. I was shocked when i got it though, it's long as hell..lol I think 20" long.. Shocked
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2011-02-15, 12:56

Just wanted to let people know i just got off the phone with marineland and they told me there is "NO RECALL" authorized by them.. What Petsmart does is up to them. They told me if i want to take my heaters to them it's up to them if they want to take them back. Evil or Very Mad

I do have to state my heaters are the generation Stealth made right before the Stealth Pro version they're having all the issues with. I have 1 dead one and 1 working one. They gave me all the info to send my dead one back for a replacement for a "Glass Vis Therm" version, and the stealths will no longer be issued out until the problems have been resolved. So i have to wait until my working one dies to send it back.. Sad They told me my version of heaters has different issues than the new stealths.. lol Violent
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2011-02-15, 17:12

hbluehunter wrote:Just wanted to let people know i just got off the phone with marineland and they told me there is "NO RECALL" authorized by them.. What Petsmart does is up to them. They told me if i want to take my heaters to them it's up to them if they want to take them back. Evil or Very Mad

I do have to state my heaters are the generation Stealth made right before the Stealth Pro version they're having all the issues with. I have 1 dead one and 1 working one. They gave me all the info to send my dead one back for a replacement for a "Glass Vis Therm" version, and the stealths will no longer be issued out until the problems have been resolved. So i have to wait until my working one dies to send it back.. Sad They told me my version of heaters has different issues than the new stealths.. lol Violent

HB stands correct. i just called petsmart - federal way. the lady manager mentioned bring it to them for store credit for refund.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2011-02-15, 17:55

I think I'll wait until Marineland recalls them. I have eight of their heaters that haven't given me any problems -- some are fairly new and others I've had for a few years.

*Knocking on wood that they don't all explode today because I said this. Shocked
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dkpate 2011-02-15, 19:17

It's only the indicator light ones, not the ones with the red dials. I think the indicator ones just came out last year.
dkpate
dkpate
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  hbluehunter 2011-02-15, 21:12

That is true, but i have a copy of the memo sent out by United Pet Group Inc, that says to remove all "Stealth Pro Heaters" off all retail shelves and to pull all the previous Stealth Heaters off the shelf too. So this letter might help me out when i go into Petsmart.
hbluehunter
hbluehunter
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  protocl 2011-02-15, 21:46

whomever returns to the units, please post the experience. need receipt, packaging etc.
protocl
protocl
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sidekicking 2011-02-15, 22:02

protocl wrote:whomever returns to the units, please post the experience. need receipt, packaging etc.

I just return my heater at the petsmart in renton I talk to the manager and she let me return it with out the packaging or receipt. the petsmart in federal way and the one in south center will not return them unless you have everything
they gave me store credit not cash which sucks balls

I pick up a fluval heater which I just realize is not fully submersible I'm thinking of tanking it back but they don't have a lot of brands to choose from

Has any one ever try the Aqueon brand??
sidekicking
sidekicking
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rattle1972 2011-02-15, 23:45

February 15, 2011
Dear KEITH,

We're contacting you with important news about your Marineland Stealth PRO Heater. Marineland is investigating quality issues involving the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater line, and out of an abundance of caution, they have stopped selling 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 watt models. If you have questions about this stop sale or to return these heaters under your Marineland warrantees, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-338-4896.

Please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity
Let the heater cool for 15 minutes
Remove the heater from the tank
As a valued customer, your satisfaction is our priority and we would like to offer a replacement or refund for the heater you purchased from us.
Our team of Aquatic Specialists recommends the Marineland Visi-Therm Heaters or Fluval M Submersible Heaters as appropriate substitutes

Please contact Foster & Smith Aquatics Customer Service at 1-800-443-1160 at your earliest convenience to arrange the proper return and exchange/refund of your Marineland Stealth PRO Submersible Heater.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please let us help you continue to enjoy your favorite hobby for many years to come!

Sincerely,
Customer Care Team,
Foster and Smith Aquatics
1-800-443-1160
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
rattle1972
rattle1972

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2011-03-07, 03:59

this blows have bought like 10 of thoes since they came out.

i thought they were the tits! Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down